“Lovely watering hole with a mouth watering menu”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Marlow Bar & Grill

Marlow Bar & Grill
Ranked #24 of 74 Restaurants in Marlow
Price range: US$51 - US$89
Cuisines: Bar, British
Good for: Bar Scene, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Brunch, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“Lovely watering hole with a mouth watering menu”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

Marlow has no shortage of nice places to eat and the Marlow Bar and Grill is no exception. We were in Marlow visiting family. We opted for the Marlow Bar and Grill for lunch because of its extensive and reasonably priced menu, central location and the fact my mother had lived there when it had been a dress makers shop in earlier years!

As there were seven of us we were shown to a table at the far end of the restaurant which was on the edge of an open air area which has a cover not unlike that at the central court at Wimbledon. The combination of this and the light and airy decor excentuated the dining experience.

We all opted for the lunchtime menu which adequately accommodated meat, fish and vegetable lovers. Most of the group opted for fish and chips which was reportedly was delicious. I chose the rump steak. The food arrived promptly and tasted as good as it looked. My only complaint was the steak was pre cut and got cold quite quickly. Also when asked if I would like any additional sauces my two requests for mayonnaise though acknowledged never materialised. A minor niggle as the food was delicious and plentiful. The bill came in at around £20 per person including drinks. Given the locale and the quality of the food and the restaurant it was good value in my opinion.

I'll certainly go there again

• Korean first
east midlands
“Nice, but not up to Bank standards”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

Having dined at Bank Restaurant in London and Birmingham on many occasions, the restaurant chain is one of our favourite places to eat and is always completely dependable. Therefore when visiting Marlow we decided for the first time to dine at Marlow Bar and Grill as it is part of the same restaurant group and the menu is almost identical. The outdoor courtyard looked very appealing for a summer evening and we booked a table there. On arrival we were swiftly shown to our table and drinks orders taken; a nice cocktail menu as with Bank. Soon after our waiter asked if we were ready to order and as we were still waiting for our cocktails we said we’d rather wait until after our drinks had arrived and he gladly went away. Soon after a Waitress asked us the same question, still no drinks and feeling a bit uncomfortable putting off ordering any longer, we ordered our meals. No mention was made as to when we would like our children’s main courses to arrive – with our starters or main course. Expecting bread to be served as with Bank, we assumed our children would nibble on that while we ate our starters. However no bread ever came and their main courses arrived with our starters. My summer vegetable risotto was light and summery with a lemon tang. My Husband chose Thai fishcakes which were okay but lacked the heat of similar dishes elsewhere. By the time we had finished our starters our children had also polished off their fish and chips. This was testament to how nice their meals were of course, but left us in a quandary how they were going to amuse themselves while we ate our main meals. By this time the evening was getting a little chilly and our youngest daughter especially was rather uncomfortable despite wrapping herself in a pashmina. The weather wasn’t as hot as it had been that week but was still a lot warmer than most UK summer evenings so I would say on most occasions you would be a bit chilly on the patio. The heaters did not really seem to be doing anything. My main course of lobster with hollandaise was nice, although having had it twice before at Bank (and considering those dishes nearly comparable to a lobster meal I had at Kaspar’s at the Savoy), it did not quite match up. The lobster was on the edge of not quite being cooked. The body meat was only just past the point of being translucent. My Husbands main course of Haddock Risotto was good; he had enjoyed it on previous visits to Bank as a starter. We had ordered two glasses of wine and had been waiting quite a long time for them. It appeared either the communication between bar and restaurant was a bit lacking or maybe the bar was just understaffed. For dessert my husband ordered Bakewell Tart, my daughter and I shared our personal favourite – ice cream - one scoop of Maltesers and one of Passion Fruit. Our youngest daughter just wanted one scoop of Maltesers Ice Cream. When they arrived our youngest was given three scoops – we queried this and was told it had been a mistake but the price would be the same and our daughter rose to the challenge of polishing it off! My Husbands Bakewell Tart had a crumble topping which he found a little odd. When the bill arrived we had been overcharged for dessert despite the Waitress’ assurances and we had also been charged for another table’s two cocktails. We agreed we had had a nice evening but with little niggles it wasn’t quite up to Bank’s standards. If we had had our original waiter all evening I think we would have been more satisfied as the Waitress seemed to be not so well trained. Our waiter went out of his way to give us directions back to the hotel which was nice. However if I was to return I’d give the patio a miss unless they upgrade the patio heaters!

Berkshire
“good food, good service, good value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

we had late Sunday lunch here, didn't book, just turned up. the hostess was very pleasant & helpful. the food was lovely, the table service is good, not great but then this is not a 5* restaurant. the steaks are good value, & cooked the way you want, portions are of a good size. overall with the other options down Marlow high street like the usual Zizzi's, pizza express etc Marlow bar & grill is slightly more expensive but well the extra few pounds. great décor & relaxing music.

“great place for lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

Popped in for unbooked lunch on a family day in Marlow. Staff very friendly and helpful and chatty with our two children - we only had a "quick lunch" mains each, but all were good quality and yummy. The place was lively without being noisy or busy - nice light and airy round table in the conservatory area. Pleased with our choice of restaurant on the High St.

Marlow, United Kingdom
“Lovely restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

We came here for 'date night' and had a thoroughly enjoyable time... a great menu, so good it took us a while to choose (sorry!) but even though we were probably being difficult service was attentive an polite. A lovely bottle of wine was suggested by the waiter, and we were made to feel at ease.

When we did order our food it arrived quickly, and was as we expected it. Very tasty! Dessert followed, and despite us taking our time, and probably occupying the table for far longer than we should, we were always made to feel welcome.

Very well done!