The Barn at the Old Cottage
US$995
Orbitz.com
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 4 March 2014

My husband and I booked for my birthday for a romantic weekend. Nicky was helpful and couldn't do enough when we got there...she even helped carry our shopping in, bless her! We found her to be warm and friendly in person but I don't think you would get the same impression if you are texting as conversation tends to be short and to the point. The barn was so beautiful, very authentic and so very cosy. Nicky had put the heating on for us before we arrived so it was lovely and toasty when we got there! Everything you need is there - even the breakfast basics - tea, coffee, sugar, bread, jam, cereal, milk, eggs etc. We bought our own bits for a cooked breakfast and other food items - you can cook, there is oven, grill, microwave etc. We didn't leave the barn but there is apparently a very good pub a stone's throw away and another 2 stone's throw away! Marlow is also only a 10 minute or so drive away. The barn is such great value for money. We absolutely loved the barn and hope to go back soon for another romantic hide away!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I would like to say I got as far as staying at what looked like a nice bed and breakfast from the photos but unfortunately I wasn't able to get that far due to the unhelpfulness of the proprietors. I first emailed and called about six months ago to try and make a booking for a specific date for a birthday but was told they couldn't take my booking until 12 weeks before in case they got a longer booking between now and then. I completely understood so as it was for a special occasion, I waited patiently till my date was 12 weeks away and then dropped an email to them asking if I could make my booking for the one night as they still had availability. I got no response so the next day, I rang and left a voicemail asking for a call back. I got no response so the following day, I resorted to sending a text asking for a call back as I would urgently like to make my booking. A few hours later, I got a very abrupt response saying it would be a minimum of 2 nights for the weekend I wanted as it was near a Bank Holiday. I texted back saying there was no mention of this when I gave the date six months ago and got a very curt, "sorry you're disappointed" but no explanation as to why I was misinformed or not told there and then of their made up policy. There is also no mention of a minimum booking on their website. Overall, it has made me very angry and if that is the level of customer service they give potential guests, they are not worth the time or the money in visiting. I'm sure there are other guesthouses in the area that are a bit more grateful for custom or at least know how to deal with the general public in a decent manner.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
9  Thank ClareS1981
Reviewed 24 November 2013

We had a really lovely stay here. The barn is beautiful and has everything you could possibly need for a short stay. It was really cosy and lovely and warm. A lot of attention to detail has been paid and it really shows throughout the barn. Nicky was very helpful and accomodating. We would recommend the barn to others and hope to return ourselves!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rosie0306
Reviewed 21 November 2013

My wife and I were coming down from Scotland to visit the Hand and Flowers. We decided to make a weekend of it and booked in at this charming, delightful cottage. Frankly it could not have been better. If this is ranked number 9 of 17 places in Marlow the others must be quite amazing! Beautifully and lovingly restored. The photographs don't do it justice. Very nice and helpful owners and a lovely pub with good food about 20 yards away. Perfect!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SmithMcConn
Reviewed 27 June 2013

Wow! It is unbelievable how great this place is for the price! The place is as beautiful as the pictures and the owner is lovely. The village is like something out of Midsommer Murders.. Britain at its best. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple