“Fantastic food but....” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Kirkby Lonsdale
Reigate, United Kingdom
“Fantastic food but....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

I booked one night with dinner, with a slight discount but still not cheap (it's on several web sites discounted at the moment), but having read the reviews I decided we should have a treat and was really looking forward to it.

The food was fantastic, both breakfast and dinner, but the hotel and room are in dire need of tlc. Lots of little issues makes the place feel a little unloved. We know the area well and to be honest I think you'd probably get better value for money staying in a B&B and just booking dinner here.

So the high point was dinner. We decided not to do the taster menu but to share the 3 course (actually 5) and have cheese as an extra. The cost of £55 per head sounds a lot but given the total room cost is av £299 you can see it maybe better value to stay elsewhere. We couldn't fault the food, and the very young staff were friendly and had been well briefed on the food being served. Breakfast was also good but they didn't seem ready 15 mins after the advertised breakfast start.

Seems odd to complain about the room when we had such a good meal, but when we put it all together we realised the whole place needed attention. We stayed in room 5 , advertised as overlooking the garden - not forgetting the office and store for the kitchen. The sash windows in the bedroom were broken, so as it was a warm night we had to find something to prop them open - thankfully no noise overnight. Not helped by the bedroom blind being broken not dropping fully to cover the window, and the curtain tie back missing. The hairdryer kept cutting out, necessitating a log hunt for a replacement. As there is no mobile reception and the hotel wifi is quite limited we tried to use the room phone for an essential phone call, only to find it was broken, and no replacement could be found.... so we must have had 3/4 visits to our room in the space of an hour before dinner (and me in my dressing gown)! And then one of the bathroom lights was hanging loose....and yes we also had the blowing bathroom curtain.

Sounds like I'm going on and we were just unlucky (and having booked a deal), but then we saw a chair in the bar with springs hanging down below the seat, and then sat in the dining room to see a plug socket hanging off the wall next to us.

Sounds like we hated the place, we didn't, but just felt someone needs to have a good look round, and have the room quality match the food.

So whilst we loved the food, we wouldn't rush to stay there again, even discounted.

Room Tip: Definitely not room 5 unless all the issues I have raised have been resolved, you'll not get cha...
3 Thank banstead

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Carnforth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

My wife took me for dinner to Hipping Hall to celebrate my Birthday. We have eaten here on a number of occasions previously but as we left we both thought that this was one of the very best meals that we have ever had in this area.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LillyLune
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

We were warmly greeted on arrival, by Holly, a lovely lady.
Our room, room 8 on the ground floor was cosy but perfectly comfortable; as was the bed.
The food was delicious, but the main could be bigger, especially the proportion of carbohydrate.
The staff are charming and the service seemless.
All in all a super break: we will return.

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms are bigger and better;providing you can do stairs.
1 Thank Linda P
Wirral
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

I felt we were due a mini break so booked on Friday for Monday night, on arrival we were upgraded to room 1 with a very comfortable bed and a superb shower, we were given tea (& cake) on the terrace, had a look around the gardens and felt well looked after.
We drove to the edge of Kikby Lonsdale (a couple of miles), had a pleasant walk along the riverbank & up into the town before returning to the hotel. The only drawback is the distance to the town - the main road is not ideal for walking!
Dinner was a wonderful experience not to be faulted with many extra's thrown in. We had cocktails in the lounge beforehand with canapes followed by a 5 course dinner with coffee to follow. All the food was well prepared, light to eat & just in the correct proportion. The staff in the hotel showed just the right attention whether in the restaurant or hotel proper - congratulations to all.

1 Thank chrisjl51
Leeds
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

Visited on a Sunday- on arrival along the gravelled driveway the hall looks fantastic.
We were warmly greeted by the lady on reception and shown to our room. Room 3 was at the front of the house overlooking the lawned garden- although not a massive room the bed was lovely and comfortable and the bathroom was spacious- you do not have tea and coffee in your room it is brought on request.
We went downstairs and had coffee in the lounge - along with yummy lemon drizzle cake.
A stream runs through the hall grounds - the water was crystal clear and teeming with fish- all very relaxing.
Our package included dinner and I was a little taken aback by the limited menu only offering two choices of each course but luckily I liked what was on offer.
The food served was definately 5 star quality as was the impeccable service received through out dinner. I can not recall any better service anywhere.
We enjoyed an excellent nights sleep and breakfast was delicious with a good choice available- freshly squeezed juices - everything was superb! All in all a fabulous top quality night away - would highly recommend .

• Stayed June 2014
Halifax, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

My husband and I stayed at Hipping Hall for our special anniversary and as a surprise he had booked the Tatham Suite.

As we had been previously to Hipping Hall last year we knew to expect great service and top-quality food and we weren't disappointed.

The Suite was perfect, spacious, luxurious with everything you could possible need and it has spoiled us thoroughly now. When we return for our next special celebration, it will have to be the Tatham Suite - fabulous. The bed is the most comfortable either of us have ever experienced and as a notoriously bad "sleeper", I had a great sleep.

Room Tip: The previous room we had on the first floor was lovely, with a view of the garden, but the suite was...
1 Thank SueT190786
Lake District, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

Let me begin by saying that I only write reviews of places that I really have enjoyed and am happy to recommend to others. For those that I haven't enjoyed, I simply give them the silent treatment, which applies to my writing of TripAdvisor reviews as well.

My wife and I have been dining periodically at Hipping Hall for a good many years, as we find its restaurant delivers well-presented and well-executed food preparation consistently. We've only stayed overnight in the hotel once before involving a birthday occasion, as we live merely half an hour's drive away. However, last month, we held a milestone wedding anniversary celebration there, with friends and family from both sides of the Atlantic attending. All of them are experienced and discerning travellers and they all raved to us afterwards about how well they were looked after from their time of arrival to the time of their departure.

Indeed, top marks for their food, the rooms and the countryside setting, but to me, what really sets Hipping Hall in front of the others, is the vision and devotion of the place by their hands-on owner, Andrew Wildsmith, and the dedication by all members of staff. They really do get the balance right between professionalism and friendliness, from those at reception to those dealing with the restaurant and everything in-between where there is contact with the guests. I imagine there is the same dedication by those who are unseen, but that is merely my sense, of course. It just goes to show what can be achieved when everyone pulls together in a team effort.

Needless to add, but I do anyway, our celebratory event was a huge success.

Room Tip: If you feel a bit extravagant and are reasonably fit, climb the 24 stairs to the newly developed Tat...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
New Inn Hotel
New Inn Hotel
#1 of 1 in Clapham
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant

Been to Hipping Hall? Share your experiences!