“You get what you pay for”
Review of Copper Kettle

Copper Kettle
Ranked #12 of 12 Kirkby Lonsdale B&B and Inns
“You get what you pay for”
Reviewed 4 September 2013 via mobile

We only popped in for an evening meal as we were passing and other pubs and eating places were either too expensive or not really for children on a Sunday evening at 6pm. We came in, greeted by a friendly old women who I can see others say she is rude and abrupt but I'd say a lady set in her ways and not ever going to change now. She made light conversation with us. Didn't take our order straight away as dealing with another customer then the phone rang for a room booking and my kids screamed the placed down as they were hungry and we hadn't ordered.
Food was adequate. I wondering the owners try their own food. Salad on roast beef Sunday dinner? Odd
Service was ok
Bill was cheap
Gordon Ramsey would be able to make a show here. "Hotel hell"

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Jamie S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Halifax, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Stayed the night in this B & B would do again but maybe in a better room, it was ok but not great only for one night and only to put our heads down after one day. The morning came a couple left cursing it was a S.......hole should have stayed for breakfast that was the best bit! but you get what you pay for.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mmandjb

Travellers are raving about these Kirkby Lonsdale hotels

Reviewed 27 August 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for what was supposed to be a nice relaxing 1 night off from a busy schedule! Big, huge mistake! Started off ok with owners assisting us to find parking etc but room grubby, dated & smelly. However, worse was to come. On returning to our room in order to change before going out to dinner we realised that the partition between our room & next door was only made of plywood. We could hear their tv & conversation so clearly it was like they were in the room with us. When I approached the lady owner regarding this she immediately became defensive & said no-one else had complained....ever! Couldn't get over her attitude....considering they have had this place for almost 35 years you would have thought she would have some idea of the notion of customer service! During the night, the couple in the sdjoining room had a furious argument with some very choice language then one of them tried to enter our room after apparently being locked out & getting confused! Also, lots if noise from pub next door & its clientel upon leaving! The next morning we decided we were not going to risk breakfast but had to arrange for vehicles to be removed that were blocking our car in. Again owner very rude, straight on the attack with me & altogether a fitting end to a very unpleasant experience. Premises very dirty, dated & by the look of some of the fittings, very unsafe! There are much nicer places in Kirkby Lonsdale so I suggest you visit one of them & give The Copper Kettle a very wide berth!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Jillywombat1
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 August 2013 via mobile

Would I give it one star ? Not a chance. This is by far the worst B/B experience I've ever had in my life! The place is filthy and in need of major refurbishment. My god it's a bloody disgrace and that in itself is an exaggeration it's worse!

Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Dawn B
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2013

We booked a en-suit room from lateroom for one night, but was put in a room without en-suit. We have to use a shared shower room next door. The room is very dated but clean and with a tiny window can only open a tiny gap. In fact everything is dated but clean, all facility is working. I cannot lock the door as no locker found, the door is very small and about 1.5 meter height, my head was hit once. The lady owner is lack passion to greeting except asking your breakfast time, which not include in the room price. NO car park next to this hotel. I was asked to park next to a library in the night but need to move in morning, you can found a paid car park about 100/200 meter away from hotel. It's ok for us just a night, but won't stay more longer.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank rockwei
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2013

I booked this b and b for two nights whilst visiting relatives in the area, thinking that it would be of good standard. Not so! I asked to see the room, but the owner insisted on taking balance of the money first. I didn't even unpack as the room smelled strongly of cheap cooking fat. The toilet was dirty, but the owner was more concerned with the tv - which was not working. Everything I touched was sticky and/or dusty. the floor was also grubby.
I left the next morning (despite having paid for two nights) and was quite upset by the experience, as the lady owner was very abrupt at all times.
Luckily, then managed to book into The Orange Tree, a double room, which for the same money was excellent and clean, with an amazing large and immaculate bathroom. Very friendly and really good well cooked food.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank nancy p
Sawbridgeworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2013

I stayed in this delightful historic property the first week of August 2013 as part of my career break in publishing. I run a Customer Experience team for a large company so i know what quality and service look like. Anyone who overlooks this place for its traditional impression will miss out on the gem of Kirkby Lonsdale. The mature couple who run this take exceptional pride in cleanliness and quality throughout. Although basic, every need is catered for and you get a great value experience right in the heart of the town centre. This couple care and it shows. Welcoming with great service, they are a credit to the town. Would recommend to anyone looking for great value and characterful accomodation.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo