“Great Atmosphere”

Fat Lamb Country Inn and Restaurant
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I can't understand why anyone would give the Fat Lamb Inn a poor review. It may be not the cheapest place to eat, but we treated ourselves and found it to be no more expensive than anywhere else. Staff really friendly as soon as we arrived and fhe food was excellent. We'll certainly be eating there again

1  Thank MrCalvert

Reviewed 11 May 2014

We went to the Fat Lamb for a family Sunday lunch and found it very disappointing. The food was overpriced, very ordinary at best, meat tough, vegetables overcooked and how is it possible to curdle the top half of a creme brulee whilst the bottom is raw?
The very nice young man who took our order disappeared after that leaving the restaurant with the surliest of service I have encountered in a long time. Each request was treated as an inconvenience, food tipped onto seat when plates eventually cleared (and left there), an age (and reminders!) for the coffee we had ordered. Instead of bringing a bill the lady simply came to the table and announced the total with instruction to pay at the bar. When asked for a written bill she audibly huffed at us.
A waste of a lovely building in beautiful surroundings. We will not be returning!

1  Thank Caroline R
Reviewed 19 April 2014

I prefer plain food and I didn't like the restaurant menu so wy wife and I ate from the bar menu which was excellent.

Reviewed 2 April 2014

We have just arrived back from a weekend stay at the fat lamb and have to say we would never visit this B and B again. On arrival the bedroom was freezing. After asking for the heating to come on it soon heated up. We decided to sit in front of the fire whilst the room was warming up and we noticed the chairs in the bar area have definitely seen better days. The arms are falling off, the seats are ripped to shreds and are so uncomfortable. Back in the room the bathroom smelt of damp and the grout was full of mould (we stayed in room 9). We found it was the shower curtain that was causing the smell. We had to buy an air freshner for the bathroom to try and counteract the horrendous smell. The bathroom door wouldnt shut properly and the curtains in the room were full of dust. There were cobwebs all over the ceiling most of which hung right over the bed. We had to clean the cobweds away so we could get in bed without being attacked by them. We pulled the bed sheets back from the bed and found a hair already in there! On the first night at the B and B we decided to eat in the restaurant and booked to do so on arrival. We entered the restaurant at the agreed time of 7 and was told they were extremely busy and we would have to sit in the bar to order our food and we would be taken into the restaurant when it was ready. When we were taken through there was 1 other couple eating (the other 10 tables or so were empty). It seems it was actually very quiet! The meal was a flop and noone cleared our plates when we had finished. We left feeling very disappointed. I was in paticular seeing as it was my birthday meal and the last one I will have before my baby arrives. The next day we went to the restaurant for breakfast and again the food was a flop. You get 1 sausage, 1 bacon, a small black pudding, an egg, sauté potatoes and mushrooms. The scrambled eggs were undercooked and so being clearly pregnant (6 months) I couldn't eat them. I ended up eating the only thing I enjoyed which was about 3 fried mushrooms. We ended up eating out on the saturday night at the cross keys inn which is about 10 minutes away and the difference between the two B and B's is crazy. The cross keys inn is a 3* B and B but it is far superior to the fat lamb. The food is amazing, the prices reasonable and the staff are very accomadating. We wouldn't hesitate to stay at the cross keys inn in the future. I can't imagine how the fat lamb got the 4* AA rating and certificate of excellence for trip advisor 2013. We didnt complain whilst we were there as it was mine and my partners birthday and we didnt want to tarnish it by having to complain and having that memory from our last weekend away before we become parents. I really wanted to enjoy this B and B and both my partner and I tried our hardest to give the B and B the benefit of the doubt but in the end we had to admit its just not up to scratch. The staff are friendly enough but improvements definitely need to be made.

3  Thank ChanTia27
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Food was delightful and good value. You can mix and match from the menu/specials board/table d' hote. Couldnt fault it at all, breakfast was wonderful too.