The Seaton Lane Inn
Seaham Hall(Seaham)
Highfield Hotel(Houghton-le-Spring)
  • Restaurant
    View Hotel
    All reviewsthai green chicken currylovely mealthe pubsunday lunchset us up for the daywould definitely stay here againthree coursesexcellent staystaff were attentivelounge arealittle thingscomfortable bedstayed here for two nightsfull englishcouldn't faultnight's sleepfollowing morning
    FilterAll languages
    Reviewed 19 August 2013

I booked this hotel having previously been to Seaham and my preferred accommodation was fully booked. I had eaten dinner in the restaurant at Seaton Lane Inn on my first visit and had greatly enjoyed my meal, so thought I'd try the hotel.
    The accommodation was OK, but nothing particularly special - our room felt cramped (big bed but little floor space around it) and a small bathroom with only a shower. The 'free wifi' was pretty much non-existent - too slow to even check email, so the work I had planned was out of the question. It felt like any other hotel I'd been to, although cramped and also quite pricey (in my opinion) for what it offered. It was basically twice the price of where I'd stayed on my first trip to Seaham (and subsequent trips), and offered far less in terms of comfort, central location and general enjoyment.
    I personally like to stay somewhere where it feels relaxing to spend time in during the day, not simply somewhere you sleep and want to leave first thing in the morning and return just to sleep. It felt a bit claustrophobic if I'm honest! The dinners I had were delicious (but you don't have to stay in the hotel to eat in the restaurant), the breakfast (porridge) was inedible. I wouldn't go back to stay unless I was really stuck for somewhere and felt I had money to burn!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
    2  Thank Katie F
    Reviewed 10 August 2013

It was so lovely to be back in the Seaton Lane Inn again this week, After spending most of the last year there, we hadn't been back since March but we were so delighted to see that most of the staff were still there.
    We love this hotel for so many reasons; the quiet, spacious boutique bedrooms and beautiful bathrooms, the extensive menus with fantastic seafood and delicious steaks but it's the staff who make it special!
    Carry on the great work Adrian and Dee and we hope to be back again very soon.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
    Reviewed 30 July 2013

Well! What a lovely surprise my husband and I got at the Seaton Lane Inn!
    I took him there for one night in July for his birthday as we had business in the area and decided to stay in Seaham. On arrival - from the outside, the Inn looked like any other pub/inn we'd ever been to. However..when we set foot inside, we were amazed at the decor and the boutique feel to the place. We were warmly greeted and were promptly checked in and booked a table for dinner. We left our bags off in our room which was beautifully and very tastefully decorated. It was very warm that day so we were happy to have a window which opened fully out and let the breeze in.

We headed down for dinner and again were greeted warmly by the restaurant staff.
    We ordered prawn cocktail for starters, steaks, and a bottle of proscecco which we were able to take outside after the meal to sit in the heated decking area.

All in all our vist there was blissful.

If I had just one reservation or qualm about the place, it was only that the next morning we were awoken by the cleaning staff attempting to get in our room at 9.15am and generally banging about and chatting outside the room.
    Check out is 11am and I expect to be left alone until that time when I pay for an overnight stay.

Staff are lovely. Place is lovely. Food is lovely. Don't hesitate!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 13 which overlooked a wee field. we could hear the noise from the main road but it didn't bother us at all.
    • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
    1  Thank Megster0811
    Reviewed 27 July 2013

Stayed here for 1 night whilst attending a friends wedding nearby. The rooms were lovely and clean, the breakfast was gorgeous but the best thing about this place is the staff. From checking in and ordering us a taxi to our venue to the girls at breakfast who looked after us with huge hangovers and the lady cleaning bar even gave us headache tablets, the service was 2nd to none. We wil, definitely come back for a break sometime thank you very much, Helen and Diane

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
    1  Thank Sabena_11
    Reviewed 18 July 2013 via mobile

After travelling up from Southampton, we were greeted by Kayleigh who was very friendly and booked us in, was very pleasantly surprised with the bedroom which was clean tidy and well presented, the en suite was also very good. The restaurant food was excellent as was the breakfast. Thank you for your hospitality b

• Stayed: July 2013