Eastshaw Guest House
Hotels.com
Highfield Hotel(Houghton-le-Spring)(Great Value!)
US$75
US$69
Travelodge Sunderland High Street West(Sunderland)(Great Value!)
US$52
Travelodge
    Premier Inn Sunderland City Centre(Sunderland)(Great Value!)
    US$81
    PremierInn.com
    • Restaurant
    US$101
    Hilton Garden Inn Sunderland(Sunderland)(Great Value!)
    US$86
    Priceline
    Roker Hotel, BW Premier Collection(Sunderland)(Great Value!)
    US$88
    US$133
    US$113
    US$81
    US$101
    • Pool
    All reviewssea glassdalton le dalehomemade breadst cuthbertsblack labgreat hostsb bhome from homewood burningwelcome hampereach morningliving roomcomfortable loungehouse is beautifuleach eveningbed and breakfasta wonderful stay
    FilterAll languages
    Reviewed 18 April 2013

Excellent Guesthouse with great views over the sea. Mick and Julie (and Henry, the dog) were extremely friendly and helpful. Breakfast was great with lovely homemade rolls. Cosy lounge with log burner helped make the stay very relaxing. Will definitely go back again and would highly recommend this guesthouse.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
    Mick_and_Jules, Owner at Eastshaw Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
    It was our pleasure to have you stay with us and I'm glad you enjoyed the bread. It's Northumberland coastal cheddar with sundried tomato and seasalt this morning.

Hope to see you soon. Stay well.

Reviewed 25 February 2013

Can I just say what a fabulous time I had staying at this beautifully renovated cottage. There is a lovely homely feel to the place and I had a great nights sleep, maybe thanks to the trickling stream at the bottom of the garden or just the fact it was really relaxing and picturesque. The place is very clean and beautifully done out and is a credit to the owners, Mike and Julie. The little welcome pack they put together for my arrival was really lovely, the homemade bread divine - I even had to take the remainder home with me it was that good. Overall a very pleasant stay and one I will be recommending to all my friends!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
    2  Thank Ben W
    Mick_and_Jules, Owner at Eastshaw Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2013

Thank you for your generous review.
    We are so pleased that you enjoyed the cottage and appreciated its tranquility.
    We look forward to seeing you both soon.

Kind regards.

Reviewed 9 January 2013

As soon as I stepped into this gorgeous cottage I was smitten! It has been renovated beautifully but still managed to keep the old charm and cosy feel of the place. I especially liked the log burning fires and stripped wooden floors. The attention to detail and thought was there to cater for your every need and was much appreciated. It really is a place that you can just unwind and relax in beautiful surroundings. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it and am definitely going back!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
    1  Thank 123Daisy123
    Mick_and_Jules, Owner at Eastshaw Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write your kind review.
    We are so pleased that you enjoyed your Christmas at the cottage.
    We look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed 27 December 2012

We-extended family- stayed with Mick and Julie at both the cottage and the guesthouse last month. Both properties are immaculate and so cosy. The guesthouse is right on the seafront with lovely views, great log burners, comfy chairs, fabulous dog.....it was such a great place to stay that I am taking the opportunity during the hols to write my first ever review for trip advisor. The cottage is a real gem- where we found a lovely thoughtful welcome pack incuding wine, milk, jam and a still warm loaf of homemade bread! It is very well equiped - kitchen cupboards stocked with more 'basics' than my own cupboards. And the bathroom was like a mini chemist shop! The decor is lovely and again the wonderful log burners. Oh and lovely comfy pillows and quality sheets. And when morning came I was able to see what a picturesque setting the cottage has- yet only 5 mins from Dalton Park and the A19. Thoroughly recommend.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
    1  Thank angela7171
    sirbentlug, Owner at Eastshaw Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 29 December 2012

Thank you Angela for your lovely review, we're very honoured to be your first on TripAdvisor! We're also glad that you enjoyed your stay, it's always great to hear that our guests love the cottage as much as we do. We look forward to seeing you again, Mick and Jules

Reviewed 4 December 2012

Mick and Julie are great hosts.

The room I had - the double was very comfortable, the only thing it lacked was a table to work at (I was in the area on a course) but there is a suitable table in the window of the lounge that you can sit at if you want to.

The rooms don't have ensuite bathrooms which would immediately put a lot of people off BUT and this is a big BUT, Mick and Julie have just three rooms. If you book in they don't let the other two - unless you are all staying together ie a family group. This means that its not unlike being at home - theres no standing on the landing waiting for a stranger to come out of the shower. No awkward conversations over the breakfast table, if anyone wakes you up rolling in drunk - its one of your family or friends and you can give them a roasting in the morning as you see fit!

I don't know their personal circumstances but I get the impression that Mick and Julie don't have to squeeze every last penny out of 'the business' and have to have 66% occupancy just to break even on the mortgage and that they put customer satisfaction high on their agenda.

If you are a dog lover there is someone waiting at Eastshaw to be your new best friend. Henry is the resident black labrador and is such a sweetie. If you don't like dogs, Henry is kept out of your way and the rooms were spotless not a sign of a dog hair anywhere.

However, if you love dogs, then Henry is yours to fuss over to your hearts content. Not having had a dog of my own for a long time now it was a real treat to be able to sit in a comfy armchair in my room with the log burner going, radio 4 on a proper radio (Hacker fm radio with the rich tone you only get from a radio with a wooden case, whoops, anorak starting to show there!) a gin in one hand and making a fuss of Henry with the other. That dog lives the life of Riley! He is however a labrador and his entire life revolves around food and fuss - don't leave anything edible lying around if Henry is coming to visit!

Henry will be your best friend for as long as you stay and as long as you make a fuss of him.

The breakfast was cooked to order, placed the night before. The full english was just the ticket complete with decent black pudding and home made bread - except for the day that Henry had pinched it but one look into those big innocent butter wouldn't melt eyes and the emergency supply of white toast wasn't so bad ;o)

As I was on a course for two days I didn't get to see much of Seaham in daylight until it was time to come home. I did manage to get down onto the beach - 100 yards north of the guest house around 9.30am and was blessed with a break in the clouds and the low angle winter sun coming through. The tide was out but on its way in and I had half an hour or so of photography - something of a treat for me. If I can attach photos to this at a later date I'll put a couple of them on - haven't cropped and tinkered with them yet.

Would I stay at Eastshaw again - without a doubt either on my own or with the family.

I would also recommend eating at Massimos italian and a visit to Licketysplit ice cream parlour for a treat.

Room Tip: The double room at the front has a view of the sea and the town. It has good double glazing and I didn't hear a sound through it.
    • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
    1  Thank dudley s
    sirbentlug, Owner at Eastshaw Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2012

Dear Dudley

Thank you for what can only be described as a generous and comprehensive review.
    We are so glad you enjoyed yourself and appreciated what we try and do here.

I'd be keen to see those photos when you have the chance and enjoyed our conversations on photography.

Stay well and a