“Sobering ”

Seaham Hall
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Seaham
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

Great setting in a fantastic hotel, however I think the most expensive bar tarrif in the north of England!, painfully over priced and not a good selection. Poor on that front.
The rest of the evening was fine however! Don't think I would hurry back!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stayed: July 2014
5  Thank colin g
Write a ReviewReviews (1,578)

Reviewed 4 July 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights as a wedding anniversary break. From the point of booking onwards the hotel were keen to ensure that any requirements we had were met, ringing up to double check meal and spa reservations.

On arrival we were impressed by the room (not sure if we'd been upgraded as it was certainly very generous) and also the friendliness of the staff.

The hotel itself was pretty quiet, almost more staff than guests! The spa was a little busier but still plenty of room so didn't seem busy. Treatments were well priced and good quality, the only negative was that the full range of treatments wasn't listed online for advance booking.

Food very nice - we ate one night in the spa as the main free restaurant wasn't open, and the other night in the hotel. Both nights' food hit the spot perfectly. We were surprised that the spa restaurant didn't have a different lunchtime menu though.

Overall, a lovely stay, and possibly the best overall hotel I've stayed at.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Madturkey
Reviewed 29 June 2014

My o/h booked a night here as a birthday surprise on 28/06.
From the moment we arrived we were greeted by friendly staff and a warm welcome. There were a few people checking in at the same time so we were offered complimentary refreshments as we waited in a seating area.
The check in was swift and efficient and as we were taken to our room by Kathryn ( I mention her name as she has to be one of the stand out staff members we encountered ) - I couldn't help but fall in love with the décor.
Once in our room, which I can only describe as utterly beautiful, Kathryn showed us the many light switches, the key facilities in the room - Mini bar, Nespresso coffee machine etc and gave us a brief run down of services we could request at any time.
One thing that immediately stood out for me, and I shall offer further examples later, was attention to detail; they had been told it was my birthday, so I received a wooden plank with 'Happy Birthday' written on it along with chocolates and a card from the manager - hand written, not a generically typed one.
As we had reservations at Byrons Bar for our evening meal we had lunch in the Ozone bar, we shared a starter of Duck pancakes, easily the best we've had and also shared a Thai Green Curry with Egg Noodles ~ a simple dish, but executed perfectly, packed full of flavour.
We hadn't booked any spa treatments, however we used the pool, hot tub and sauna in the spa, which was very clean and well maintained. Staff were constantly around, cleaning, tidying, refilling the jugs of plain iced water as well as the iced water with lemon and lime.
We retired to our room to get ready for our evening meal, we had requested an iron and board be brought up to the room and within minutes it was there.
The room itself as huge, a seating area with sofa, desk and TV, the Bedroom with Mini Bar and Tea/Coffee making facilities and the four piece bathroom suite.
The evening meal was nothing short of the 2 Michelin stars it has received, from the service of the staff down to the food itself. I had the asparagus with poached egg to start, my o/h had the salmon, we both had the Gressingham Chicken for mains, - I had nutmeg spinach as a side to mine, he had hand cut chips. Both of us were in agreement, that it was a stunning meal up to this point, so when the puds - Tasting of Strawberry and Cherry and White Chocolate Trifle - arrived, on par with the meal so far, they didn't last long at all.
Once we returned to our room we found the room dimmed and with the curtains drawn and our bed sheets turned down with fresh bottled water at our bedsides, as well as fresh glasses, cups and coffee capsules.
We ordered our breakfast in the sumptuous king sized bed ( so big I'm sure I lost my o/h for a while! ) for the following morning - a £10 additional charge - and spot on the time we specified the buzzer rang. A continental breakfast of bread, ham and cheeses for him, a selection of pastries for me and full English breakfasts for us both along with juices of our choice.
5* hotel is certainly what this is, every aspect of our stay was just that, from the staff to the service, the facilities and as previously mentioned those little touches that make all of the difference, even the little pink Rubber Duck in the bathroom gets a mention here!
Upon Check out, again swift and efficient we were given some bottled water for our journey home and once home, the reality that somewhere so peaceful and tranquil was only a short 30 min drive from us seemed hard to believe and we settled back into our Sunday afternoon.
sometime during Mid afternoon my o/h showed me an email on his phone, it was from Kathryn, a simple courtesy message to ensure we arrived home safely and that we enjoyed our stay. . . A simple and small gesture but perfectly captures the essence of this establishment . . . Thank You x

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Littlemissfoxy
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

We had a fabulous one night stay earlier this month in one of the junior suites. We arrived around 3pm but the room wasn't ready, however we were directed outside and enjoyed delicious cocktails in the sun. The staff were extremely welcoming and friendly.
Once in our room we were very impressed. We had large French doors opening onto a private garden area. There was a complementary chocolate board with handmade chocolates including a happy birthday message written in chocolate...lovely touch!
Our bed was one of the largest and comfiest beds we have ever slept in, sheer luxury!
We had a lovely evening meal in the restaurant and the service by staff was exceptional, delicious food and more fantastic cocktails too!
We enjoyed the spa, particularly the outdoor hot tubs, however I think it will be much improved once it's refurb is completed as some elements appear a little run down.
I can't wait to return and try another fabulous room.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lucy R
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We stayed here in May and had a fabulous room,the service was great and the staff were brilliant.However the Hotel was let down by the restaurant whose limited menu was grossly overpriced,offering overly pretentious food served in a manner that we actually laughed at.My starter of potted shrimp came in a basket of pebbles, the risotto was returned because it was so salty and the coffee pots at breakfast were not clean. Service in then restaurant was inconsistent with empty glasses remaining uncleared from the table. It was trying way too hard to present a gastronomic experience,but should stick to much simpler food and reduce the prices if they want us to return .

Room Tip: Room 12 is corner room with good views ,fantastic space and very quiet ,the bed is heavenly!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank PaulBh58
Reviewed 27 June 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights to celebrate our wedding. The staff were very friendly and accommodating dealing with all requests with 'that's not a problem'. We dined in both restaurants and found the food enjoyable in both. We also got a chance to use the spa facilities, these make your stay extra special. I do hope we get the chance to celebrate our anniversaries here too!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I stayed here with my mother and found the whole experience fabulous. The staff are very friendly and nothing is too much trouble. The rooms are fantastic, we stayed in room 12 which had windows on two walls. Very spacious with nice seating area. The spa is the best I have been in, especially the two outside jacuzzi's. We were lucky that our deal also included a 35minute treatment. I chose the facial which was very relaxing. I would definitely recommend this hotel and plan to make another visit soon.

Room Tip: Room 12 but I think all the rooms will be good.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank holidaysnandsea
Also consider these accommodations in or near Seaham
Ramside Hall Hotel, Golf & Spa
Headlam Hall Hotel Spa & Golf
Hallgarth Manor House
Hallgarth Manor House
#11 of 18 in Durham

Been to Seaham Hall? Share your experiences!