“Delicious full English”

Price range: US$6 - US$16
Good for: View
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Really impressed with the breakfast - sausages I believe are locally sourced everything was cooked perfectly - I spent a lovely Morning here with my wife enjoying the scenery and reading the daily newspapers. Staff were polite and friendly and the place was very clean - I will definitely be going again

Francesca S, Owner at Tonia's, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2013

Thank you writing such a lovely review of Tonia's. We are over the moon you enjoyed your breakfast so much. We look forward to welcoming you & your wife back any time.

Reviewed 3 August 2013

I visit this restaurant occasionally, all staff are very friendly and helpful. The food is very good and there is always a good selection to choose from including cakes and ice creams they also have daily specials. There is a variety of drinks and the espresso is very nice especially 2 scoops of ice cream and a shot of espresso :) prices are reasonable.
The restaurant is situated on the sea front with beautiful views of the sea from the tables seated beside the windows also seating outside. My children and I love to visit tonias.

Francesca S, Owner at Tonia's, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write Tonia's such a lovely review. We are so pleased to receive such positive customer feedback as we aim to impress everyone who visits us, we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 2 August 2013

Staff acted like they were doing you a favour when serving, spotted 2 staff members eating behind the counter. Food is budget style and the building is uninspiring, scratchy chairs being trailed along a old floor is not my idea of fun. Such a shame as in a prime location... Would need Costa to take over to make something of this awful place.

4  Thank Sarah C
Francesca S, Owner at Tonia's, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review Tonia's, we are sorry to have not met with your expectations during your visit. Your comments regarding customer service have been fed back to our staff & we will be monitoring this closely. We have also addressed your observations regarding staff eating in the kitchen.

The rest of your review is a little vague, I am unsure what you ate or drank when you visited & if your reference to 'budget style' means you think we should be marketing ourselves as more of a bistro or if it is a reference to ingredients? Scratchy chairs on an old floor is also a strange description, the floor is a little over a year old.

If you would like to get in touch I will more than happy to discuss this review further.

Reviewed 31 July 2013

I have known this establishment since 2004, it was a little greasy spoon dishing out chips etc. from a hatch next to some smelly old public toilets. It was recently upgraded by Durham Council (a few years ago) as it was an eyesore. The council did an excellent job and is aesthetically pleasing.

That's where it stops unfortunately, I am at Seaham on a regular daily basis so I am well placed to give a constructive unbiased review of this café. The café has a captive audience as it is in a prime location on Seaham Car Park which has access to the beach and a area of grassland for playing on and enjoying the vista.

The place has never moved on, the café utilises cheap products and sells them at an extortionate price, a prime example is the ice cream. I had a bacon sandwich there (once) at it was disgusting, £2.50 for a cheap cut of bacon in a bread bun which wasn't fresh that day. The coffee is cold and basically horrible but remember your paying 'Top Dollar' for this!!

The staff, standing out the back where the water tap is (for dog water) smoking cigarettes in dirty aprons just doesn't do it for me at all. The place stinks of grease and dirt, and I have seen better cleaner 'Hot Vans' at events!!

This place has the potential to be a 'Gold Mine' unfortunately it falls well below the mark, it needs new management with a positive outlook and customer focussed values. If you want a decent ice cream, coffee or snack travel down the road a mile and a half and get one at 'Lickity Split' or another of the fabulous clean establishments serving great food etc using the best ingredients.

If you don't want to travel down the road, bring a picnic or a flask of coffee that has stewed for a couple of hours, it will taste 100% better than the dishwater dished up at this 'Extortionate Greasy Spoon!'

4  Thank Mapesworth
Francesca S, Owner at Tonia's, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review Tonia's. I am sorry that your opinion of us is so negative. Obviously you are entitled to your opinion & it is clear you feel we are not the establishment for you. However we have many regular customers and receive compliments daily on what we do.

I feel it necessary to respond to a few points you have made. With regards to cleanliness and hygiene, we received 5* during an inspection by the Food Standards Agency, this is the highest rating they award, only 10% of businesses receive it, so you may be satisfied there are no issues there.

The quality of our ingredients is high, many of our meat products come from Angus the Butcher, a local firm, wherever possible we use brands such as Heinz & Tetley. Bacon sandwiches are our most popular menu item, we have many customers who return for them, as they do for our Rijo42 coffee. I will apologise if your bun was not as fresh as you would have liked, as we have an extensive menu stock levels are hard to predict but your sandwich would happily and apologetically been remade for you if you had alerted staff to this problem during your visit. The ice cream we sell is award-winning it is not perhaps one of the popular brands which is commonly on sale in Seaham but it is delicious.

Leading me to my final point regarding our prices. They are competitive and in line with what others in Seaham charge. When I eat in other places I always compare our prices to theirs, unfortunately the direction the business has taken since last May when we reopened, brings with it many overheads and responsibilities, this has to be incorporated into what we charge.

I hope you do give us another chance to impress you. I will be more than happy to discuss any of the issues you have raised in your review in more depth, we can be contacted via our website www.toniascafe.co.uk where all our contact details can be found.

Reviewed 27 July 2013 via mobile

Visited on a busy Saturday - the sun was out and so were the visitors. No tables outside so we sat inside, light, airy and clean - tables were cleared promptly. Order and pay at the counter, then sit down and wait for your food - we ordered a burger meal and a panini - took maybe ten minutes, not long at all considering the number of customers - when the food arrived it was fine, nicely presented and generous portions. The cafe has toilets for customer use and free wifi, there are lots of tourist info leaflets and posters on the walls explaining more about the durham coast. Recommended for a snack, all day breakfast or lunch.

Francesca S, Owner at Tonia's, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2013

Thank you for writing Tonia's such a lovely review. We hope to see you again soon.