“To the manor born”
Review of The Ickworth Hotel

The Ickworth Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Horringer
Reviewed 3 January 2014

My family and I enjoyed a special celebration at this hotel set in extensive grounds. From the greeting upon arrival until the departure, service was faultless. As we were a larger than average family party I was able to see several of the rooms on offer and all of the rooms were beautifully appointed. All had king size beds and several of the rooms were large enough to easily accommodate the young children with us. The dining experience was excellent with special choices for the children. it felt like being in the game 'Cluedo' when we all met for 'drinks' in the library as the hotel has such an interesting history and many intrigues have taken place there.
In the basement activities are available for the children but this was all where the last marquis had his shooting gallery and there remains a door peppered with bullet holes. Adjacent to the hotel is Ickworth House which is another bonus, entry being free to hotel guests. Wellington boots are provided for those who want to enjoy the pleasure of walking through the estate (it was December). There is also a cafe a short walk from Ickworth House with a good menu and reasonable prices. For a treat try the award winning scones complete with butter, jam and clotted cream so the 'real deal'. The only minor criticism is that on a short stay the check out time does not allow enough time for exploration.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Carolepj
Michael K, Manager at The Ickworth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2014

Dear Carole

Thank for taking time to review your stay with us.

I'm very happy to read that you had an enjoyable time with your 'large' family. We do specialise in catering for large family groups especially for special occasions and being at the Ickworth does tend to make it just that little bit more special for people. Indeed we do allow free entry to the house but just to note, this is only available when the main house is open. It's currently closed until 14th March.

Just to say that even though checkout is 11am, we do allow guests to use the hotel facilities until they wish to depart. Where we can we do like to offer a later checkout option but as you can appreciate this isn't always possible especially when guests arriving that day are expecting their rooms to be ready for 3pm.

Once again thank you for your feedback and we hope to see you very soon.

Kind regards

Reviewed 1 January 2014

We stayed at this lovely country hotel on a Sunday mid December.The deal was that if you spent £40 each in the restaurant then B and B was £50 ie dinner B and B for £130. This was excellent value for a hotel and restaurant of this calibre especially as you could arrive early and swim, read in the lounge or have a walk in the extensive grounds.The staff were really friendly and helpful, we even got a free upgrade as they weren't busy. The food and service in the restaurant was excellent There was plenty to do for couples and families, Ickworth house and the Rotunda can be explored there is an adventure playground for kids and bicycles for all ages. If you are lucky and go around Christmas there are craft days and Christmas events laid on by the National trust.We had an excellent mini break at a bargain price and would definitely do it again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Hello

Thanks for your comments regarding your stay at The Ickworth.

I'm so pleased you managed to take advantage on one of our 'very special' offers. If you would like to sign up for our newsletter, you will find out as soon as they are published.

I see that you're not that far away from us so don't forget if you just want to pop over for a relaxing afternoon and tea, we'd love to see you again.

Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

What an amazing New Years stay! Quite simply, it was faultless. From booking, check-in, meals, service, room and check-out, the staff were exceptional.
Our son has several food allergies and these were accommodated brilliantly with no fuss. Quality of food from the New Years Eve buffet was excellent with real variety from the different countries; ribs were a real favourite with us all.

The bedroom was really comfortable, the pool was perfect for adults and kids but I would say the staff have made our stay - nothing was too much trouble.

We shall return!

• Stayed: December 2013

Thank you London Lighthouse for choosing to shine a light on the Ickworth hotel, especially over the New Year period.

We truly had an amazing festive period at the hotel and the cherry on the top was the New Year's Eve party. Everyone had such a great time (including the staff!) it was a shame it had to finish.

We've just released our pricing and programme for 2014, so please contact us if you would like it sending to you.

Kind regard

Reviewed 31 December 2013

We really enjoyed our stay for one night. Our room for us & our little dog was overlooking the park. A quite large room will settee,chair t.v. etc. with luxury ensuite. Kingsize bed coffee tea and all you would expect. We booked this on a special deal including the evening meal. We were confused when we checked on the dining times, being told that even though we had booked with a meal we were then required to book in at the a la carte restaurant, which was fully booked unless we wanted to wait until 9pm, so we went to the conservatory, and then were told when we had ordered our meal that we had a table in the a la carte restaurant where they had managed to squeeze us in. We also enjoyed the breakfast in the conservatory, which was buffet style with self service toast, jams cereals etc. We found the food & service to be very good, so much so that we returned with some Japaneze friends for a meal in the conservatory.
We found the staff very helpful, although some language barriers. The venue is very relaxing and lovely to explore, dogs are welcome and its a great run around place for children. The rotunda is also a very interesting building. I would definitely go back for a meal to stay over or just for a walk around the grounds.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank anne h
Reviewed 30 December 2013

I am sure that some guests have a perfectly acceptable stay here but for my wife and I our pre-Christmas break turned into a major disappointment.

We were a party of 33 people and had booked 17 rooms for an end of year celebration for my Company’s staff for a night at the Ickworth hotel. Before making the reservation two of our company had visited the establishment and been shown a succession of large airy rooms all with views over the adjacent park land. I was therefore looking forward to a relaxing and enjoyable evening to celebrate the Company’s success in 2013. Rooms had been pre allocated though I must admit when I checked in I had forgotten that to which my wife and I had been allocated.

Imagine my horror then when we were shown up to our allocated room, Derry, to enter a rather dank, pokey, damp, dreary and cold room overlooking not the expected parkland but an internal courtyard at the back of what I presumed where the kitchens. Unfortunately we were already late for an appointment elsewhere but on returning I asked at reception why we were not in the pre-allocated room; Lady Montague which I later discovered was the largest room on the second floor. The receptionist was not able to provide that information then or later in the evening.

Returning to the room it was still cold, in spite of the radiators all being turned on. The well-equipped bathroom was linked to the bedroom by a small corridor which was being used as a storage area with unwanted furniture and a pile of what appeared to be smelly dog beds! The bathroom was heated (sic) by a large towel rail which remained cold the whole time we were there and at 7.15 p.m. there was no hot water for a shower or bath. This is an inexcusable error for an establishment that prides itself on its comfort and quality. We were eventually provided with a fan heater that by the time we had returned from dinner had warmed the room. Further criticism of the room included a sash window that rattled way in the wind till I jammed it with some paper and lighting levels so low and dim that it was almost impossible to read.

At least I thought dinner would be better! I expected something exceptional but instead it was it was all rather ordinary. We had pre-ordered from a restricted menu. My mixed vegetable risotto starter was tasty but not outstanding. Again the lighting in the conservatory was dim so it was difficult to see what you were eating but any vegetables that had been included had been cut up so small they were indistinguishable from the rice. For the main course knowing that the estate contained an extensive deer park I chose the juniper berry roasted venison. Now venison demands a rich sauce or gravy but what I was presented with was three thin slices of venison draped over a mound of shredded cabbage and ??? I know not what. In the dim light and with a bland taste and texture it was impossible to see what was underneath. Two of the venison slices were perfectly cooked rare on the inside with a nice crust on the outside but the third? No idea it seemed to be slice cut off the outside of a beef burger, not a third lice of venison. My wife did though say that her pan roasted gilt-head bream was perfect. The hot chocolate fondant was just about OK; the centre soft but not oozing with melted chocolate.

Finally if you like an early breakfast then think again. Breakfast was scheduled to commence at 7.30 a.m. but it was long after 8 a.m. before the buffet was complete. However a hotel charging the prices it does for some of its rooms demands a freshly cooked breakfast not a tired array of warmed up sausages, bacon, mushrooms… and the slop that goes for scrambled egg. It was possible to order fresh fried or poached eggs but this was not explained to us by the staff.

I am sorry but from my experience and from the number of recent poor or terrible reviews I am unable to recommend this hotel would suggest that until service and quality is improved. The only good note was that the bed itself was very comfortable.

Room Tip: If you are allocated room Derry then I suggest you look for another hotel
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank felixstowejohn
Michael K, Manager at The Ickworth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2014

I was indeed very sorry to receive your comments on Tripadvisor with regard to your recent stay.
You have stated that two of your team had been to review the bedrooms and indeed Derry was shown as one of the rooms available, subsequently after your departure the lady who made all the bookings reviewed the room again and could not understand your concerns. And as can be seen from other comments on Tripadvisor (see above) Derry is mentioned as one of a number of preferred rooms by our guests.
In effect you arrived late for your function, the subsequent attitude and language used to our Receptionist was completely unacceptable. You subsequently again harangued the receptionist when going to dinner on the basis that you had no intention of paying for the room because you had not received the room you wanted.
On the subject of the Derry Room the small corridor is furnished with a 1950’s desk and some large cushions that we have in many of our rooms for children to play on, these are not dog cushions and nor do they smell of such. I therefore refute your suggestion of a “store”.
Your comments on the food do not stack up against the comments relayed in writing by two of your colleagues. The arrangements for the evening were as requested by the your organiser, the fact that you did not enjoy that environment is one you should take up with them and from whom we have in turn received praise for what The Ickworth did for your company.

Reviewed 20 December 2013 via mobile

Location and setting for this hotel is great with potential for it to be a cracking family hotel. It has good facilities (children's playroom, bikes for hire, a pool) and lots of Downton Abbey like history in the Rotunda next door (with sweet volunteer staff) but the hotel is let down by really poor, sloppy service. Catalogue of errors beset our stay and lots of waiting for orders, tables, staff, returning food that was wrong etc. Nice place but needs decent management and better quality staff who actually care that guests have a good experience. This is not cheap and even cheaper places would be better run and with more enthusiastic staff. Could do (so much) better.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank lebt
Reviewed 19 December 2013

My husband took me there for my birthday with a secret escapes deal, and we were pleasantly surprised. We were expecting to be a nice hotel but it was fabulous. The hotel room was lovely and comfortable. The room had a fantastic rustic feel and the bathroom and bathtub were superb, which is a bonus. The restaurant was amazing, absolutely fantastic!!! But the best was the grounds, we were astonished but the extend of the gardens and their beauty, we also went for a 4 mile run one of the days without leaving the ground. The only thing that let the hotel down was the reception and the spa which is not impressive whatsoever, but hey the rest was perfect. Completely recommend it to everyone and we will go back again indeed.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear London Cass

Thank you for taking time to review your stay with us at The Ickworth.

We are very lucky with the location and surroundings of the hotel - it is truly breathtaking. I'm glad you managed to experience to wider estate.

I was concerned to read your comments regarding the reception and spa and would welcome further comments from you on this. If you could either kindly email me or call to the hotel, I would be grateful.

Kind regards

Michael

Also consider these accommodations in or near Horringer
The Angel Hotel
#6 of 10 in Bury St Edmunds
Bedford Lodge Hotel & Spa
Bedford Lodge Hotel & Spa
#1 of 8 in Newmarket

Been to The Ickworth Hotel? Share your experiences!