“Very disappointed”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Horringer
Suffolk, United Kingdom
“Very disappointed”
Reviewed 14 February 2014

Today is my birthday and a friend had recommended the conservatory at the Ickworth Hotel as being a good place for lunch, especially for families with young children. About a week ago, I checked out the lunchtime menu on their website and rang to make a reservation.

When we arrived, we were directed to park some distance away from the entrance, so carried a 4 week old baby and a toddler across a wet and windswept route to the entrance - then we saw there were car park spaces right by the front door.

Once inside, no one had any record of my booking. Had I asked the name of the person I'd spoken to? No, I hadn't realised that would be necessary. This didn't actually matter because the restaurant was completely empty apart from one family sitting in the corner next to a large radiator.

We stood waiting - young women kept saying someone would be with us soon. As there were only two tables large enough to seat 4 adults and 2 young children, we picked one of them and sat ourselves down. Removing our coats, we all commented on how cold it was. There were radiators near our table, but they were only luke warm. A waitress brought a little fan heater to plug in - but the room is big, so it would have had very little impact. Then we were given the menus - nothing like the information on the website - the food on offer was just snacks. We were told they'd changed the menu two weeks ago. Pity someone hadn't thought to update the website - it's still showing the autumn 2013 menu. I imagine it isn't worth their while offering lots of hot main meals in an empty restaurant, but I hadn't known that and the information wasn't volunteered.

For a nice birthday lunch (and first outing after the baby was born), we were expecting something more substantial. I was told we could have the evening dinner menu, but as we were becoming so chilled, we were rapidly going off the idea. I asked about the lounge area where I'd been told there were toys suitable for toddlers to play with - I thought it might be warm there even if we only had a snack lunch, but that room had been blocked off for a wedding. We decided to leave and found ourselves a nice warm pub not far away. This was supposed to be a treat for me and my family - it was anything but.

I imagine this is a lovely spot in summer, but don't go there on a cold dull day when there's little solar gain. Ask the name of the person taking your reservation and check which menu they currently have on offer.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Michael K, General Manager at The Ickworth Hotel, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
i was sorry to read of your experience last friday, the reservation system is a very thorough system, i cannot find a trace of the reservation , however we should have been able to deal with your party. the conservatory is a two thirds glass area and with the current unseasonal south west winds has been cooler than normal for this time of year, we do however use space heating to add to our central heating system. with regard to the menus, yes we have recently changed our menu offering and as this is a departure from what we have been offering, we delayed posting the new menus until we had agreed the final content, this has now been done. i am very sorry that you had these issues and as you state in your comment it is a lovely place in the spring and summer and we all look forward to a more clement and enjoyable pattern of weather than of recent times.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
brighton
Reviewed 12 February 2014

We have just returned from the Ickworth after a lovely weekend staying in The Lodge. We stayed there last year at Easter and love the space which the apartment style rooms provide. We were two families with children ranging from 7 - 14 so hired bikes and were lucky enough to have a lovely bike ride around the beautiful estate, fortunately the weather was kind to us on Saturday. I forgot my wellies so borrowed some of the Dubarry boots which they have available for guests' use; they really do think of everything! Adults and kids alike had a great time - I managed an afternoon snooze whilst dads took the kids swimming and we had two lovely dinners at the hotel. What more could you ask for?

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank paul h
Michael K, Manager at The Ickworth Hotel, responded to this review, 16 February 2014
Paul

Thank you for you very kind comments regarding your recent stay at The Lodge apartments located on the Ickworth estate.

I am pleased that you had an enjoyable and relaxing stay with us and hope that we will be welcoming you all back very soon.

Reviewed 10 February 2014 via mobile

Cannot recommend this hotel highly enough. We had a three night break with our four month old son and had a wonderful time. Luxurious room, superb food and everything babies and kids could need in a beautiful setting! We made use of the crèche, spa and baby-sitting facilities and were able to get the first moments of calm since our baby was born. It was lovely to travel light as the hotel was able to provide cot, change mat, nappy bin, fridge, steriliser and bottle warmer. Although the hotel was busy, there are only 27 rooms and so many different things for kids to do that it never seemed noisy or full of screaming children. The position is great on a national trust park with house to visit and there is also an indoor pool with floats. The only negative was the temperature in the restaurants in the evening - it's a beautiful old property with lots of draughts so make sure you wrap up warm!

Stayed February 2014
1 Thank SarahMilham
Sarah

How lovely to receive your feedback on your recent stay with us at the Ickworth.

We do hope that we managed to cover all bases for both adults and children and from your review we are certainly there.

I am sorry that the temperature wasn't to the normal level at the house but as you state, it is some feat to keep such a vast size property especially with this awful weather we have been subjected to of late.

Thank you again and I hope we see you again in the future.

England
Reviewed 7 February 2014

Spent a time at Ickworth recently on a spa day and unfortunately I can not recommend it. The treatments were good but as an experience it was poor. The main problem is there is nowhere particularly comfortable to wait - I would have expected a relaxation room but instead one has to put your normal clothes back on each time (no robes) and wait in the drawing room upstairs each time.There were multiple meetings in the room while I was waiting and hence the overall ambience not great. The swimming pool complex is outside the main building so again not practical.
The lunch was fine but some of the waiting staff were very slow which ate into getting ready for one of the treatments (although to be fair the treatment was not cut short by this).
If you are staying in the hotel with family then I could recommend the treatments but would not advise a spa day here.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
thank you for your comments regarding you recent spa day. i have noted that you enjoyed the treatments but that clearly the provision of a relaxation area would have improved your day. regrettably the limitations of our building , a Grade 1 historical building, do not allow for this and thus we use the lounges upstairs. we do offer robes and i am concerned that you were not given one in the knowledge that these are always available to day spa guests. the swimming pool is in another area and does require a very short walk from the main house. our spa days have proven to be very successful, i am very sorry that on this occasion our facility did not meet your expectations.
Bury St Edmunds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Lovely venue to have afternoon tea. "Ickworth" tea after walking the dog in the fantastic grounds.
We often have coffee or lunch or afternoon tea in the hotel after walking the dogs, dogs are allowed in of course. We find the more upmarket the venue the more likely to allow dogs in and all they do is climb under the large coffee tables and go to sleep after a good walk. The food and drink is very good quality, the service excellent, the ambiance and atmosphere top class, and very reasonably priced too. Well worth a visit with or without dogs.

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Paul P
Hello Paul

Thank you for taking time out to review our lounge and restaurant here at the Ickworth.

I am so very pleased that you had a great experience with us. We welcome everyone at the Ickworth especially four legged friends. The only place they aren't permitted is in the main restaurants, crèche and spa areas but they everywhere else.

Hopefully we will see you back soon!

Wisbech, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 January 2014

We got home yesterday after a couple of nights break at the Ickworth and although the weather tried its worst, the setting remained stunning. The hotel boasts a swimming pool and a spa. The pool is in a separate building and is equipped for even the tiniest person ....there is a travel cot by the poolside, also a few floating aids - but there is not a baby pool or shallow end. After our swim we dressed and walked back into the hotel, took the lift down into the basement to enjoy blissful massages. I had a facial for the back massage with Hazel and I felt SO good afterwards.
Our experience of the food was mixed. On Tuesday night the service/food in the restaurant was, er, patchy but the next night under the watchful eye of Ricardo all was well and working like a dream. The a la carte menu changes seasonally which meant that as a vegetarian I had to eat the same meal on both nights (but I understand that this is being addressed in early February). I tried to do something about this problem on Tuesday night but with no luck.
The hotel is spotlessly clean, the staff work very hard and the small people are well catered for, the family restaurant has its own menu but is still elegantly presented so that the adults don't miss out. There is a selection of wellies by the entrance and bikes are available to hire.
We visited without children

Room Tip: I think that room size varies with family size. We travelled as a couple and our room was a tad on t...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mo W
Hello Mo

Thank you for your valuable feedback on your stay with us recently.

I am so pleased that your enjoyed your time with us and I am sorry that you experienced a 'hiccup' in service on the Tuesday evening. I have also noted your comments regarding the vegetarian option given and we have recently addressed this with our new menus.

With regards to your comment on the room size, it appears that you perhaps in one of our standard double bedrooms which are only 2 people and a little one but we do have a number of larger rooms for families that can accommodate up to 2 adults and 3 children.

Once again, thank you for taking time to let me know your views.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 January 2014

Just back from our 2nd visit and I can't express enough how wonderful this place is. A beautiful location, stunning accommodation and it's incredibly well equipped for small children - we have a 3yr old and a 9 mother.
After a dreadful first night (thanks to a baby who wouldn't sleep) the staff couldn't do ENOUGH to ease the fatigue and make life as manageable as possible the following day - not to mention upgrading us to an inter-connecting room so we had a chance of a better night the following night. If we needed clean bottles - no problem. A fridge in the room? It was there 5 minutes later. Tyres on the pushchair needed inflating? 5 minutes later someone had done it for us.
The restaurant is lovely and makes you feel that you're actually going out for the night (not just downstairs). The kids menu is varied and balanced, and they supply all extras you might need (bib, water cup, anything else you may have forgotten...)
The grounds are extensive and fun to explore - easy with a pushchair. The pool is ideal in size and never packed...perfect for a pre-breakfast swim.
Suffice to say, I can't recommend this place highly enough, especially for stressed out young families who want some fun time out with the kids combined with some peace and quiet as a couple - in a very romantic and grand location. Oh, and I almost forgot to mention the fab crèche and adorable staff - who even remembered us from our previous trip.
As long as you go here expecting the occasional fracas that comes with welcoming small children, you will NOT be disappointed - and this is coming from a very fussy customer with pretty high expectations!
We'll be back - and soon!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Katie

Thank you for coming back to us! We are so very privileged to welcome back so many people to the hotel, as like you they fall in love with the house and its grand location.

I am so pleased to see that my team made you feel at home and helped you after your first night.

Look forward to seeing you again soon.

Michael
Also consider these accommodations in or near Horringer
Swan Hotel & Spa Lavenham
#2 of 11 in Bury St Edmunds
Ravenwood Hall Country Hotel
Ravenwood Hall Country Hotel
#4 of 11 in Bury St Edmunds

Been to The Ickworth Hotel? Share your experiences!