“Fantastic”

The Ickworth Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Horringer
“Fantastic”
Reviewed 5 March 2014

We have just spent a three night break here and I cannot recommend it highly enough. Our two year old was not on top form (throwing tantrums all over the place) but the staff were absolutely amazing and couldn't do enough to help. We had a brilliant time and are looking to returning soon.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Michael K, General Manager at The Ickworth Hotel, responded to this review, 8 March 2014
Thank you for your kind comments, delighted you enjoyed your stay and that your two year old seemed to enjoy it too. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
Leeds
Reviewed 4 March 2014

This hotel is fantastic for families. It's set in the stunning grounds of Ickworth House with its woodland trails and adventure playground. The swimming pool at the hotel is great for kids and there's a tennis court and lots of other activities for them to do. The eating arrangements are very flexible and we ate with the kids both evenings in the Conservatory. Very good quality food in a nice restaurant but in a relaxed family environment, so you're not worried about the children being too loud! I would certainly recommend this hotel and we will be returning soon.

1 Thank BurleyBantam
Thank you for your kind comments and I am delighted you all enjoyed your stay, please come back soon we would love to see you again
Kindest regards.
Norfolk
Reviewed 2 March 2014

The Ickworth Hotel and Lodge ensured my daughter's 21st birthday celebration was a memory making occasion. All hotel staff were exceptionally helpful and especially those working in the conservatory restaurant on the 2 nights we ate there. The menu provided an excellent mix of quality food to cater for my 3 year old to well...the adults in the party.
However it was the rooms that provided that extra special sense of occasion and notably Ludwig in the Lodge which ensured a luxurious start to being 21 and much appreciated by my daughter.
The pool was a great hit with all the family as were the free bikes to explore the Ickworth estate. Some me time at the Spa booked in advance added to the making 2 nights away seem like much more.
Finally the setting provided an added sense of occasion and we are now trying to find our excuse to come back!

Room Tip: For a family break the Lodge although a short walk away from the main hotel is ideal as children hav...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Tank you for your kind comments , I am delighted that you enjoyed the Lodge and achieved the restful experience that we try to reach in this building. With the brighter weather the Lodge is really a special place, we look forward to your return.
Many thanks
Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

Brief review: excellent kids club with very professional staff, good pool, green and lovely domain with a lot of history. Rooms very old and should have been redone considering the high price tag.

Overpriced restaurant with tiny portions, you'll be asked to book but there are always free tables. Need to be better organised.

Stayed February 2014
Thanks for your comments , very much appreciated, I am sorry that you found the food overpriced and small portions, we are always reviewing every aspect of our food operation, its a constant , yours is not a comment we receive normally and not knowing what you ordered makes it difficult to comment further. Regarding table bookings, there will always be spare tables as the ebb and flow of different times for dining creates that environment, we do not wish to have the cruise ship concept of sittings.
But many thanks for your comments
UK
Reviewed 28 February 2014

If you have a small child or children and need some pampering time, look no further.

We have a 20 month old son who is adorable, but we miss the "old" life of posh spa hotel, fine dining, cocktails - general chill out time. It had been a long time since we properly relaxed. However 3 nights at the Ickworth was nothing short of heavenly.

Staff: I booked by phone as needed some advice as to room type. From that first phone call, the service was superb. I wish I could remember who it was I booked with but all the staff were wonderful and nothing was too much trouble. Please may we have some warmed milk for the little one? no problem! Could we please store our yoghurt with them (in case young 'un gets picky)? - no problem (not that we needed it- food was excellent- see later). Some names spring to mind for being particularly great- Gemma at front desk, Susanna and Paulo at the restaurant- but they were all very welcoming and able to put this neurotic mummy at ease.

Room: We ended up booking a suite- lovely large rooms with interconnecting hallway and bathroom and it was well worth the (small amount of) extra money for it as we could really kick back.

Childcare: AHHHHHHH! Now we're talking! 2 hours of free creche as part of the package. My son clearly had a great time. Very easy to book a babysitter, we used the baby listening service where you essentially put a monitor on in your room and the staff will come and alert you if there is a disturbance. PEACE! To say this place is child friendly is an understatement; really it seemed to cater for people like ourselves in desperate need of TLC. It would have been a shame to come there if you didn't have children (or were allergic to them) as there are always kids running around- but while that could be bedlam, there was an atmosphere of calm. (Unless my concept of calm has changed since having a child, which it probably has.) Whatever you needed for your kid, it seemed that they could cater for you.

Food: Awesome. Lovely cooked and continental breakfast, decent lunch menu, HUGE portions for kiddies, wines and beers available for mum and dad while kids eat! When I booked I could choose to have dinner with Harry at 5pm "family dining" - or eat in the main restaurant later when he was asleep. Do people really go for the former?! Err....no brainer for us! This child was perfectly content with his lot. And the staff were happy to let you mix and match items from the menu. As I say: nothing too much trouble. Dinner in the main restaurant cooked to perfection.

Spa: I had an Indian head massage on our first full day and that definitely started the unwinding process. It's a small spa so you need to book in advance but I was impressed and it was a wonderful start to the break.

Facilities: Beautiful hotel. National Trust grounds- a little odd looking Rotunda, lovely gardens and well maintained. Lovely little playgrounds for kids. Lovely walks - including some woodland ones, hundreds of snowdrops - gorgeous. Warm swimming pool, all one depth, again great for little ones. Bikes available - just help yourself and return when finished. Picturesque cycling routes and maps available all within the extensive grounds. Child seats attached and helmets available. Adult-only space was in the drawing room. Library with a few toys. No need to bring your own toys- plenty there. Spa as mentioned. Childcare as mentioned.

I arrived at the Ickworth tired and stressed.
I left feeling completely rejuvenated - I have refound my mojo!

It's a pricey few days but trust me, worth every single penny.

It's not a question of if we go back, it's when. I'm looking forward to it already.
Thank you Ickworth!

Room Tip: We had a suite so that our 20 month old wasn't going to wake us- not much more expensive than a...
3 Thank coco061
I am delighted that we managed to re-create those times so precious before children but still enjoy having your child with you, its a pleasure for us and we are delighted that it was so relaxing and enjoyable for you. We look forward to welcoming you back.
Reviewed 25 February 2014 via mobile

Recommended to us by a friend I was sceptical it could live up to expectations. We visited in Sept & Nov 2013. Lovely welcome great room both times. Our three year old loved high tea, the den and generally hanging around. We did bikes, adventure playground and took a tour of the house while she was in the den.
Only small thing was that Fredericks restaurant, altho lovely, had limited options for me while pregnant. That's what you get with a French style restaurant though and the conservatory menu was more flexible and good value. Staff were helpful and pleasant without exception. We had a couple of baby sitters, both mature experienced, unflappable ladies, well worth the extra cost. We look forward to going back, the Sunday night stay and dine deal is too good not to. And now no two is here I can indulge a bit more on Fredericks, looking forward to it.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Fionakuk
Great that you enjoyed your stay, I have noted your point about choices on the Fredericks menu when you are pregnant, our restaurant team are always happy to recommend something from the kitchen should you so require.
The Stay and Dine offer is good and is I hope one that you will enjoy again and again.
Many thanks
Edison, New Jersey
Reviewed 24 February 2014

I recently spent a thoroughly delightful weekend at the Ickworth hotel. After an overnight flight from New York and drive up from Heathrow, I was very tired but the charming staff at the front desk were so sweet and kind. I had arrived well before check in but my room was ready and a member of the staff rode up in the elevator with me and settled me into my room. I stayed in the Herbert and it was beautiful and spotless. The bathroom was bigger than some hotel rooms I have stayed in! The grounds are beautiful and a joy to take a walk through. I was there to attend the wedding of a dear friends daughter and what a spectacular backdrop for the event.
I was a tad bit concerned about their policy on allowing dogs but honestly, there was no animal odor in the room or anywhere in the hotel. There was apparently a school break and there were plenty of families and the children seemed to be enjoying riding bikes and walking dogs. Very picturesque!
I have travelled quite a bit and its rare to find a beautiful location,well trained and accommodating staff and good food rolled into one place. I highly recommend the Ickworth Hotel

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Patricia A
Thank you for your kind comments and I am delighted you enjoyed your stay. Yes we do allow dogs and are extremely careful to ensure that the rooms are properly cleaned after a dog has stayed. I know you live in America but I sincerely hope you will have an opportunity to return some day
Kindest regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Horringer
The Angel Hotel
#7 of 11 in Bury St Edmunds
Ravenwood Hall Country Hotel
Ravenwood Hall Country Hotel
#5 of 11 in Bury St Edmunds

Been to The Ickworth Hotel? Share your experiences!