“Excellent hotel, shame about the food”
Review of The Ickworth Hotel

The Ickworth Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Horringer
Reviewed 29 June 2014

My partner and stayed here for one night and took the opportunity to look around the fantastic Ickworth House and Gardens too. The hotel is based in one wing of the hotel and really benefits from the wow factor that this provides when approaching the hotel. Everywhere was fantastically clean and the staff very pleasant, which always makes a big difference. Our only grumble was with the rather tasteless food. For such a lovely hotel, we found that both our starter and main were small and didn't taste of anything. Breakfast was fine, but the evening meal was a disappointment. Other than that, the hotel came very close to a 5 stars. Highly recommended, but perhaps eat elsewhere.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ChrisAndHisTravels

Reviewed 28 June 2014

I've stayed at the ickworth hotel twice now, both times with my family and it's a great family hotel. There are lots of facilities such as a pool, games room, bikes, kids films etc - that does mean lots of kids of course, great if you have them with you as we did, but can't imagine coming here for a romantic weekend. The service in the conservatory has been on both occasions comically bad - the staff try their best we have always found ourselves having to ask for the same thing several times before it arrives.

Bedrooms are quite spacious and clean, it's an old building so you can get some odd shapes and no air con, but that's why you come here. Ickworth house itself, the gardens and the estate grounds are beautiful and it's well worth a stay here, but make sure you have or at least like kids!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Stuart L
Reviewed 25 June 2014

This might be a family hotel but they also cater very well for couples. From booking until departure, the whole Ickworth experience was a delight. Reduced mobility, affected my activity of experience using pool and bikes, but did not hamper the enjoyment of the NT house and Italianate gardens. The adult only dining room, with lovely food, was a treat. The very best bit was the superb, very large room, bathroom and huge comfy bed..... Bliss.

Room Tip: Augustus Hervey, superb
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Michael K, Operations Manager at The Ickworth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Hello Ann B

We are all glad you both enjoyed the Gracious Living here at The Ickworth.
So happy that your whole experience lived up to your expectations and beyond.
Our Staff ensure that each guest is looked after during their stay.
In relation to your reduced mobility - I'm glad your stay was not hindered in anyway and that you could enjoy all that The Ickworth has to offer.
I remember you both during your stay and we were all happy to assist.
Look forward to welcoming you both back soon, whether just for the day or an overnight stay. (We're just down the road)

Kind Regards
Amanda-Jane
Operations Manager

Reviewed 22 June 2014

Myself and my husband booked this for our anniversary.

Every thing was fantastic, apart from the evening meal, which I will get to.

Our room was amazing. Bed very comfortable, excellent views over looking the Italian Gardens. Bathroom great. large room, and spotless.
Staff friendly and helpfully
We had a light lunch which was fine.
Then we had a walk around the grounds, fantastic and very enjoyable.

Later in the evening we went along to Fredrick's, the adult only restaurant.
Unfortunately this is where the hotel fails.
We waited 45 mins for our starters, when they did arrive one of those were wrong. My husband had to wait a further 15mins for his, by that time I had finished mine. Sort of spoils the moment ...
Then we had to wait a further 30 mins for our main.
We ordered the steak and had to ask the staff for steak knives.
We also requested mustard (this was not offered by the waiting staff) this came once we nearly finished our steak!
The staff did not even apologise for the wait or mix up.
The food was ok, nothing special.

The pool was loverly, when I swam, I was the only one there.
We also went out for a bike ride and there was plenty of choice.

I would deffo visit the hotel again as we has such a wonderful time, but next time we will eat else where for our evening meal.

Come on Ickworthers, sort out Fredrick's then every thing would be perfect!

BTW. Breakfast in the conservatory was 10/10.

1  Thank Susie1965Cooper
Reviewed 21 June 2014

My fiance and i stayed for one night on a last minute booking with Secret Escapes on Saturday 07th June ...The deal was supposed to include a large double room with 2 course dinner in the main restaurant (Frederick's) . The first impression as you drive through the gates and down the long private drive all the way to the hote,l which is part of this imposing stately home, is Waooohhh!So couldnt help expecting a rather "grand" hotel but sadly once you get to the reception which is basically a small desk stuck underneath a stairwell , that first impression soon disappears , sadly!You are aware straight away this is a hotel very much "geared" for families as all different sizes of Wellington boots are lined up either side of the walls in the entrance hall The receptionist ,once we had located the lady, was friendly and showed us to our room . I had to ask several times if the room was indeed a large double room as it was rather "compact" but she assured me it was and that some double rooms were even smaller than that!The room was hard to describe ie style wise and it had an eclectic mix of furniture , some quite shabby "art deco" one some more minimalist like and Ikea style desk ...rather unusual but all clean. Our room , although it had a bay window sitting area with cushions, overlooked the front of the hotel with the car park. That said the view from the window past the car park is of green fields as far as the eyes can see .But the best rooms would be , i suspect, overlooking the back of the property ie the "Italianate gardens" which are simply beautiful! liked the bathroom and especially the free full size bottles of toiletries like shower gel and body lotion and i wish i could remember the brand as they smelt gorgeous!My only criticism about the bathroom was the hot water from the shower... even at its lowest setting it was really too hot and on a hot weekend like the one we had , showering wasnt a pleasant experience despite the lovely bathroom products!We had lunch in the conservatory and this room is beautiful , light and airy and overlooking part of the gardens!It would benefit from some air conditioning though.The lunch was pleasant enough but nothing special and though the members of staff were all very friendly the service was slow and a bit "slack" Bits of our order were forgotten and as the prices aren't cheap you would expect better service and food all round! The hotel has got a bike shed with different sizes of bikes for the whole family to use and so we went riding for hours in the beautiful grounds where sheep are grazing . We really enjoyed ourselves!In the evening we went to dinner at the "adult only" restaurant of the hotel called Fredericks and yet again the food and service were disappointing!Our best "food" experience at Ickworth was the cooked breakfast before we left which was very good! Overall we enjoyed our night stay at Ickworth but that was due mainly to the fabulous grounds outside and not so much the hotel itself, its food or level of service

Room Tip: Choose a room at the back of the hotel , overlooking the back gardens
2  Thank marylinemaryline
Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

I was taken here for an anniversary treat - we had such a great time. So the downsides are the food (well the dinner) wasn't very great. We ate in the more expensive of the two restaurants and I didnt love any of the courses I had which was a real shame. However the breakfast was amazing. They evan had take away hot drinks for your walking or journey home.

We were made so welcome from our first step into the house. We had our small cockapoo puppy with us. And they made a fuss of him from the moment we got there. Our room was massive....our bathroom was evan better and bigger. The bed was comfy. There were lots of dvds to pick from. Some parts of the hotel are old but our room was modern and airy.

The next day we cycled.....miles and miles....it would be amazing for a picnic if you had the weather.

Ideal hotel for children as they have lots of activities or you have a dog like us that you like to spoil!

It was great for some good old fashioned fresh air and beautiful surroundings.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

Hello Gina L

Thank-you for your comments following your stay here at The Ickworth.
We are all glad you enjoyed overall you're "Anniversary Treat".
I have forwarded your comments through to The Fredericks Restaurant Team - hopefully with our Summer Menu now running there maybe something that might tickle your taste buds.
We all loved the Cockapoo puppy and we enjoyed your families stay with us.

So glad you made the most of all our facilities here at The Ickworth and we look forward to welcoming you all back with us soon.

Kind Regards
Amanda-Jane
Operations Manager

Reviewed 17 June 2014

I came here for a week end with my husband in anticipation for our honeymoon.
We bought the package on Secrete Escapes and even if I was little bit skepitical I have to say it wasw a very pleasant staying.
The hotel is very beautiful and well mantained, their Conservatory room is absolutely lovely.
Food was very good and well presented and the room was very cosy and clean. The bathroom was really awsome.
The surroundings were really charming and we really appreciated the possibility of taking the bikes and explore .
The only things that bothered me were the children running and screaming 8am in the corridors (ok, I know this is a luxury family hotel, but still having children screaming in front of you door 8am on Sunday morning is not pleasant at all) and the lady in the SPA who was pushing and pushing me to buy their products.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Michael K, General Manager at The Ickworth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Thank you for your kind comments and I am delighted you enjoyed your stay. I am very sorry that the children in the hotel made a noise that disturbed you, I am sure that had you called Reception we would have been delighted to try and control this for you. I trust that you will return and have a quieter stay

Also consider these accommodations in or near Horringer
The Angel Hotel
Swan Hotel & Spa Lavenham
The Chantry Hotel
The Chantry Hotel
#3 of 10 in Bury St Edmunds

Been to The Ickworth Hotel? Share your experiences!