“Describes itself as luxury but our room was not” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Ickworth Hotel

The Ickworth Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Horringer
Colchester, United Kingdom
“Describes itself as luxury but our room was not”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

We booked a two night stay as a special offer via the National Trust (who run the other wing of Ickworth as a stately home to visit). Whilst it was a special deal, the room we got was shameful for a hotel which purports to be "luxury". The room name was Manners which on the plan showed as the smallest room on that floor. It had a mix of furniture styles which at best could be described as quirky. Chinese bamboo, ornate french and bog standard english all in one room. It looked like the dumping ground for furniture which did not fit in any other bedroom.
There was peeling paint on the windowsill and stained curtains.
The handbasin in the bathroom was cracked and had been filled but this is a breeding ground for germs. The shower over the bath was very difficult to fit under and still get enough room to be under the water. This was after my husband had spent time fixing the shower curtain. But the real problem was that the water temperature could not be regulated and moved from freezing to scorching with no warning. I thought this was such a safety hazard that I only tried one shower.
The staff were friendly and helpful but I had responded to an e-mail sent before our trip which had asked us to specify if we would like synthetic bedding rather than the down provided. I responded yes and was told this would be done for our arrival - it was not. We had to ask to have it changed.
The food was very good but aspects of the service not quite on the ball for an establishment which makes a big deal of being luxury. For example, at breakfast, the hot food arrived not only before the cereal plates had been cleared but before I had finished eating it.
Whilst I appreciate that staying at a place like this on a special offer means that you cannot expect the best room in the hotel I really felt cheated at the room we were allocated. I think it was an insult really.
My recommendation is that if you are staying here, you are likely to be a family because they really promote the establishment as that and therefore will avoid the smallest room but make sure you do.
The Manager sent us an e-mail a few days after our stay thanking us for choosing the Ickworth. He clearly had not read the detailed written feedback we had left with reception. I was not impressed by this.

Room Tip: Look at it first and make sure it is big enough
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Michael K, General Manager at The Ickworth Hotel, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Thank you for your comments both on our Guest Questionnaire and your subsequent email. I did respond to your email hopefully dealing with the issues that you had. Again my apologies if you felt that the room allocated was unsatisfactory, please be assured I have noted and actioned all your comments with regard to your stay at the Ickworth.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Huntingdon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

My wife and I spent two days at Ickworth to celebrate my wife's birthday (Voice off left - Do NOT reveal my age).I know my place,we have been married for 58 years.We had a lovely time.The Ickworth Hotel is an oasis of gentle living.We loved being in the company of so many happy familes,bringing back memories of our own children and grandchildren.Our room (Daisy's) was great with wonderful views over the peaceful gardens.The staff were very attentive and helpful,particularly the Maitre D' and Isabella.

Room Tip: Daisy's was an excellent double with fine views over the garden
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Arthur D
Michael K, Operations Manager at The Ickworth Hotel, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Hello Arthur D

Thank-you for your comments following your recent stay here at The Ickworth.
"Old Codgers" you were both far from that! It was lovely welcoming you both to the hotel for your wife's birthday.
The staff and I are very glad that you both had an excellent stay with us.
It is truly great seeing the happy families around the hotel enjoying themselves - at Luxury Family Hotels (LFH) we take great pleasure delivering this service.
We look forward to welcoming you both back.

Woodbridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

I booked lunch for my mum's birthday and enjoyed the setting and opulence of the hotel. The food was delicious and the staff couldn't help enough to make my mum's birthday enjoyable for her and the rest of the family. We actually visited on the 25th June so a little late writing this review. Amanda-Jane was particularly welcoming. We will definitely book again.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Redrooster56
Hello Dawn

Thank-you so much for the kind words following your Mum's Birthday lunch here at The Ickworth.
It was lovely meeting with you, the whole family and being able to wish her in person.
What a great day - lovely weather and the feedback from yourself about the lunch was fantastic. The Staff and myself look forward to welcoming you back soon.

St Neots, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

My partner and stayed here for one night and took the opportunity to look around the fantastic Ickworth House and Gardens too. The hotel is based in one wing of the hotel and really benefits from the wow factor that this provides when approaching the hotel. Everywhere was fantastically clean and the staff very pleasant, which always makes a big difference. Our only grumble was with the rather tasteless food. For such a lovely hotel, we found that both our starter and main were small and didn't taste of anything. Breakfast was fine, but the evening meal was a disappointment. Other than that, the hotel came very close to a 5 stars. Highly recommended, but perhaps eat elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ChrisAndHisTravels
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

I've stayed at the ickworth hotel twice now, both times with my family and it's a great family hotel. There are lots of facilities such as a pool, games room, bikes, kids films etc - that does mean lots of kids of course, great if you have them with you as we did, but can't imagine coming here for a romantic weekend. The service in the conservatory has been on both occasions comically bad - the staff try their best we have always found ourselves having to ask for the same thing several times before it arrives.

Bedrooms are quite spacious and clean, it's an old building so you can get some odd shapes and no air con, but that's why you come here. Ickworth house itself, the gardens and the estate grounds are beautiful and it's well worth a stay here, but make sure you have or at least like kids!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Stuart L
Ipswich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

This might be a family hotel but they also cater very well for couples. From booking until departure, the whole Ickworth experience was a delight. Reduced mobility, affected my activity of experience using pool and bikes, but did not hamper the enjoyment of the NT house and Italianate gardens. The adult only dining room, with lovely food, was a treat. The very best bit was the superb, very large room, bathroom and huge comfy bed..... Bliss.

Room Tip: Augustus Hervey, superb
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Hello Ann B

We are all glad you both enjoyed the Gracious Living here at The Ickworth.
So happy that your whole experience lived up to your expectations and beyond.
Our Staff ensure that each guest is looked after during their stay.
In relation to your reduced mobility - I'm glad your stay was not hindered in anyway and that you could enjoy all that The Ickworth has to offer.
I remember you both during your stay and we were all happy to assist.
Look forward to welcoming you both back soon, whether just for the day or an overnight stay. (We're just down the road)

Ipswich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

Myself and my husband booked this for our anniversary.

Every thing was fantastic, apart from the evening meal, which I will get to.

Our room was amazing. Bed very comfortable, excellent views over looking the Italian Gardens. Bathroom great. large room, and spotless.
Staff friendly and helpfully
We had a light lunch which was fine.
Then we had a walk around the grounds, fantastic and very enjoyable.

Later in the evening we went along to Fredrick's, the adult only restaurant.
Unfortunately this is where the hotel fails.
We waited 45 mins for our starters, when they did arrive one of those were wrong. My husband had to wait a further 15mins for his, by that time I had finished mine. Sort of spoils the moment ...
Then we had to wait a further 30 mins for our main.
We ordered the steak and had to ask the staff for steak knives.
We also requested mustard (this was not offered by the waiting staff) this came once we nearly finished our steak!
The staff did not even apologise for the wait or mix up.
The food was ok, nothing special.

The pool was loverly, when I swam, I was the only one there.
We also went out for a bike ride and there was plenty of choice.

I would deffo visit the hotel again as we has such a wonderful time, but next time we will eat else where for our evening meal.

Come on Ickworthers, sort out Fredrick's then every thing would be perfect!

BTW. Breakfast in the conservatory was 10/10.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Susie1965Cooper
Also consider these accommodations in or near Horringer
The Angel Hotel
#2 of 11 in Bury St Edmunds
All Saints Hotel
All Saints Hotel
#6 of 11 in Bury St Edmunds

Been to The Ickworth Hotel? Share your experiences!