“Beautiful setting and superior accommodation”
Review of The Blakeney Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Blakeney
The Blakeney Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Blakeney
Reviewed 10 November 2013

The most beautiful setting right on the estuary, full of character and charm with wonderful views of the tide coming and going, the boats and the sun rise and sunsets. The hotel is as special as it's surroundings with a clean warm pool. spa, steam room and sauna as well as a gym and pretty garden. The food, service, lounges and attention to detail are excellent and the rooms equally charming. We used to go elsewhere for our special occasions but this is our hotel of choice for the last couple of years and for the future. I can recommend the afternoon tea too. Excellent.

Room Tip: You get what you pay for. The estuary views are worth the extra if you can afford it.
3  Thank MimW63

Reviewed 8 November 2013

I had stayed at the Blakeney Hotel before with my family but this was my first visit with just my husband and our first visit for many years.
What can I say about the location? It is just fantastic! Blakeney is probably my favourite spot in the UK and the hotel sits right on the quay side, Perfect!
Everyone at the hotel is very friendly and helpful, it is like arriving in a large family home. The lounges are relaxing and comfortable places to relax and while away the time.
The pool is a decent size and there is a lane roped off for doing lengths. However, we did experience some minor irritation from some badly behaved children who kept swimming underneath us and were trying to destroy the rope divider. There is a steam room and a sauna, which my husband enjoyed, and a whirlpool which could have been a little warmer.
Our room was very pleasant and well equipped. It had two comfy chairs (most hotels only seem to have one), which was lovely. The bathroom was bright, spacious and well equipped. And, joy of joys, the towels were big enough to go round me!!! The only problem with the room was the bed which was very soft. This was solved by the provision of bed boards which made all the difference.
The rate we were on included breakfast and evening meals. The breakfast was delicious. There was plenty of choice of continental items to choose from buffet style, plus there was a good choice of cooked items as well. I had a full English (which included my favourite fried bread instead of the usual hash browns) on both of our two days, whilst my husband had a full English one day and kedgeree for the second day. He was stuffed full after the kedgeree and said it was very good. Our evening meals were also delicious. There was a good amount of choice for all three courses and the food was well presented and appetising. The service was good and unobtrusive.
The hotel is quite expensive but is well worth the money for a special trip. We shall definitely return.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Swizza
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Returned again for Dinner on a Sunday evening in this lovely dining room. Menu of three courses for £ 29.00 was excellent value along with a reasonably priced wine list. The dining room is large and tables are well spaced about allowing privacy for ones party. Very friendly local serving staff were very efficient adding to the enjoyment of the evening. A mixture of cliental from families with children to older retired people made for a good ambience. We were told they did 102 covers that evening which only confirms it's a must to try on the Norfolk Coast.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank 205peterp205
Reviewed 28 October 2013

This hotel is certainly in a picturesque spot but only early bookers get the window seats. We stopped for Sunday lunch - food was very good. But it was all a rather bizarre experience; service somewhat Fawlty Towers. We didn't order starter and main arrived within minutes. Our Bloody Mary's arrived after we'd opened the wine for the meal. Much amusement from the waiters when the cheese course when they served us turned it to be the rind ends. It was all very pleasant. But make sure you've your sense of humour on hand.

Reviewed 22 October 2013

Have been for lunch on both Saturdays and Sundays but have to say Saturday best as Sundays tend to get v busy. It’s a little like stepping back in time, charming. I had always assumed it would be out of my price range but it is no more than any average pub yet, we're talking proper white table cloths and linen napkins. Food is clearly made to order and usually the menu has something different away from the norm. You’re also unlikely (but not guaranteed) to have a child free experience, if they are around then usually better behaved than in the run of the meal, pub restaurants. My parents stayed many times and always recommended, it, I can’t say it often enough, independent hotels are bar far better than sole less chains. You get quality, friendly helpful staff, the personal touch, warm atmosphere…………………

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank MissLBNorthants_UK
Reviewed 20 October 2013

BOOKING
We booked over the telephone and found the process to easy and simple.

RECEPTION
Upon arriving at the hotel we parked in the first space adjacent to the road. It was easy to access the hotel with our cases, although we were a little confused in which way to go. We made the right choice.
Inside the hotel it is unclear where the reception is, but we were soon directed by the bar staff.
The receptionist was polite but did tend to gabble through her introduction, and unfortunately she omitted to explain to us where the dining room was, and the time of breakfast. We were asked what time we wished to eat dinner but this did not seem relevant in retrospect for there doid not appear to be any control over who ate when or where.

ACCOMMODATION
The room was clean and tidy and very warm when we arrived, despite both windows being open. There were restrictors on the windows so they could not be opened wider, probably to stop us committing suicide, or some other health and safety issues.
The room was above the kitchens and we had been pre-warned that there may be some noise before breakfast. This was not so, but it was nice for the point to be made.
The bathroom was well set-out and very clean and fresh. Everything worked well apart from a tap which was loose. We forgot to mention this.
The space beside the bed was a little tight but there was a small sitting area at the bottom of the bed.

I have a thing about duvets, I don't like them. they are suitable for scandinavian countries which are cold, but not for the UK which has a temperate and variable climate. Sleeping under this quilt one gets far too hot, so you throw it back and get far too cold, so you reverse the procedure, and so on ad nauseam. The second night we slept under the counter-pane and the third night because it was a bit colder, under the blanket and counter-pane. A sheet would have been nice.

PUBLIC AREAS
The reception area and lounge are well set out, well decorated and pleasant environments. However, the bar is a liitle dated and needs some TLC.
The dining room is extremely long, stretching almost the whole frontage of the hotel and only being three tables deep. A good design, but everyone appears to gravitate to the window seats, even when it was dark!
The dining room had suffered a water leak from the room above, which had been quickly sealed, but it should have been subsequently decorated during the day.
The corridor outside our room looked as though the carpet had been fitted by one of the chefs, who had cut the carpet with a cleaver. The carpet did not fit very well!

BAR
The bar staff always appeared to be over-worked and service was slow. Eventually we worked out the system and found that drinks were delivered to us, after a wait for placing the order.
It would be nicer if the staff came to the guests to collect orders.
Canapes and olives were served before dinner, although we missed these on our first evening because the staff were too busy and not as attentive as they should be.
When people decide to go into dinner it would be nice if a member of staff was present to take in one's drinks. The majority of guests are elderly and both my wife, and I on separate evenings helped an elderly and infirm gentleman out of his seat and then he struggled with his drink into the dining room.
Orders for food are not taken in the bar.

DINNER
We stayed for three nights and every evening there was a Table de Hote and A La Carte menu, which changed every day. I was a little disappointed for the web-site shows a picture of mussels, which I love, but they were not on any menu any evening. Despite this there was a good selection, and even my wife who is a bit fussy, found something to her liking every evening.
The food was not cordon bleu, but it was of a high standard, and the lobster thermador was sensational. I heard another guest say that his dover sole was excellent.

When we arrived we walked along the quay side and we noticed a young member of staff reading in the sun. My wife noted to her that there were a lot of elderly people about, and the woman agreed but noted that she liked to see people exercising. This lady turned out to be the head waitress.
On our first evening our main course took a lttle longer than it should have, but not excessively, but the head waitress noticed this and when we left for cooffee in the lounge we were offered a complimentary after dinner drink. This was probably unnecessary but gratefully received by me. As an aside we waited longer on a subsequent evening.

One evening there appeared to be some antagonism between certain members of staff, with a waitress almost pushing the wine waiter away, rather than politly waiting for him to finish. This was a bit of an exception and may be a problem between the two waiters, but it was noticeable and should not have been.

BREAKFAST
The breakfast was a buffet first course of fruit, cerial or whatever and a served cooked course. In the main these were well organised and the staff appeared to be very efficient, especially in relaying the tables adjacent to the windows, which everyone appears to prefer.
There was plenty of fuit available, but the pears could have been cut smaller, as should the strawberries.

OVERALL
This is a hotel frequented by elderly people many of whom appear to be regular visitors. We are in our 60's. One evening we were sitting in the lounge when my wife bumped into two younger guests, they were probably in their late 40's. My wife said 'look young people,' to which I said that's good I thought that we were the youngest, to which a couple in their late 50's said '..but what about us!' I am sure dear reader that you understand the comment.

Would we visit again, or recommend the hotel, Yes. It is certainly very agreeable.

Room Tip: Our room, even though it was on the side of the hotel had a reasonable view of the quay. There are s...
1  Thank BowlsCaptain
Reviewed 19 October 2013

Just returned from yet another wonderful stay at this lovely hotel feeling refreshed and relaxed. It is ideally situated and it really doesn't matter what the weather is like as there is always lots to do, or not do! The food is very good with a wide choice and well presented. The staff are excellent and you are made to feel they are there just for you - almost like it is your home and your staff. Well done Blakeney and thank you.

1  Thank John P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Blakeney
The Pheasant Hotel
#1 of 15 in King's Lynn
The Norfolk Mead Hotel
The Norfolk Mead Hotel
#1 of 1 in Coltishall

Been to The Blakeney Hotel? Share your experiences!