“A review with some reluctance.....”
Review of The Blakeney Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Blakeney
The Blakeney Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Blakeney
Bolton, United Kingdom
“A review with some reluctance.....”
Reviewed 22 December 2013

We have stayed at this hotel many times over the last few years. It has always been very comfortable and the food very good without chasing Michelin stars. They have a system which always seems to have worked in the past in the busy dining room, but during our 3 night stay.....Oh dear ! The hotel was as comfortable as ever - no complaints at all and we enjoyed using the swimming pool. But the service in the dining room was awful. One of the most irritating things we find in any establishment ( usually in a Little Chef ! ) is being shown to our table and then other diners coming in and being served before us. At dinner this happened on all three occasions and on the last evening we had our worst experience. Two couples and a party of four came into our section of the restaurant after we had been seated at our table. Suffice it to say that they were all served their starters before us and the party of four were half way through their main course before our starters arrived. At breakfast on our first morning we were followed in by a young couple who sat at the next table to us. They opted for a cooked breakfast and had eaten their meal and left the restaurant when the waiter - who had taken our order - came over and asked if we had enjoyed our breakfast. A glance at the table would have told him that we had not anything to eat and were still waiting for our meal to be served. Worse was to come on our second day, but frankly it is not worth the effort of reporting this as any reader would already have picked up the drift of this report. It saddens me to write this about a hotel whose hospitality we have enjoyed on many previous occasions. I have had a sneak look at other reports and find that our own experience this year is not the only one highlighting this type of failure. In completing the guest questionnaire, our dissatisfaction with the service was made clear. I subsequently received a letter from the manager saying that this would be discussed with the restaurant manager. In order for this discussion to have any meaning I sent a comprehensive letter detailing the failings in the restaurant so that there may be a reasonable chance of some improvement. I had hoped that I might receive a note of thanks for the trouble which I had taken in specifying in detail and at some length the problem areas. As guests who have stayed at the hotel so many times, I was very disappointed to receive no response. Years ago, maybe with some justification, the staff could be accused of arrogance. It looks as though that problem may well still exist. I hope that the management are able to turn this problem round as it would be very sad if many more people were treated in this way. In particular, one might add, if one is paying £ 900 for the pleasure !

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank WILLIAM W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
nottingham
Reviewed 18 December 2013

Booked a week in November as return visitor however cut short stay after two nights. Room was graded at 'A' standard (range is from A* down to C) in the Granary Annexe and a great disappointment. There was a thick layer of dust around carpet edges and on skirting boards in bedroom and bathroom. Black unclean grouting in the bathroom with large stain from water leakage on ceiling. Stained carpet and water damaged curtains where the colour had run from clearly a large previous water leak from radiator. Second day the central heating broke down. Two easy chairs in room were threadbare with dirty greasy marks on the arms and also brown stains on the fabric on sides of chairs. Lots of condensation on the windows as not double glazed, making room smell musty and damp. Alternative room to standard booked was requested (sole use of a double room which was extra tariff cost) but could not be supplied for the remaining days and a move to different room each day would also be required! Sauna and steam room were also out of use. Hotel apparently aware that central heating boiler broken ('leaking for some time') yet still booking guests into substandard faulty accommodation. Chairs were changed on request and replacements were new but straight backed with hard seats akin to dining room chairs. Requested compensation for the poor state of room re cleanliness and maintenance and was given a £7 refund ... rather inadequate in relation to the upset. Deal was £110 per night full board. All in all a very poor experience and wrote a letter outlining the issues of concern before checking out for the Head Manager. Since have had no response in acknowledgement either by post of e-mail which appears poor communication in terms of positive customer service. Not the warm and cherished feel that other reviewers seem to have had for sure.

Room Tip: Single travellers disadvantaged by allocation of shabby unclean rooms - even tho paying for A grade...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
6 Thank spangle90
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 December 2013

I have known Blakeney all my life and intended to stay in the hotel for years but never got around to it as I have a few favourite hotels in the area.
In November, my preferred hotel, Titchwell Manor was fully booked for all of the days I wanted so at long last I decided to book the Blakeney Hotel.
As i was unable to book on line, I sent a mail asking about availability.
It took a couple of days to get a response but eventually a mail listing different categories and prices arrived.
I responded by asking what the difference was between the rooms as there was no explanation in the mail or on the website apart from a premium for a sea view
2days went by and no response, so I sent the mail again.
This was the response.........not really helpful....
The difference between categories varies depending on the size, standard and outlook of the rooms.
Followed by a reminder that bookings cannot be made by e mail.
I did contact them by phone once but the response was not particularly helpful or welcoming. First impressions, and all that.
Consequently I still have not stayed at this hotel and its unlikely I ever will. I did not feel at all welcome and thought it would only get worse on arrival. Incidentally we ended up staying at Strattons in Swaffham. Rooms, service and staff there were wonderful.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Oystersandchampagne
Bishops Stortford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 December 2013

We had a fantastic 2 night stay at the hotel during half term with children aged 6 and 8. The hotel was busy but still had an air of total calm and relaxation. Our family room was spacious and spotless. All meals were delicious with a good choice for us and the children. We made full use of the excellent spa facilities as well as the basement games room. Throughout our stay the staff were attentive yet unobtrustive. There is plenty to do in the local area and we enjoyed a seal trip out to Blakeney Point. I would definitely recommend the hotel to anyone wanting a special place to stay in North Norfolk.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 December 2013

This hotel has a great atmosphere and the staff remember you and welcome you back. The rooms have been recently refurbished to a very high standard. We have stayed here in the summer and at New year and have no complaints about the service and value for money. Enjoy lunch and then go for coffee in the 'Lookout', read the paper or look out over Blakeney Spit using the telescope - great way to relax. Highly rcommended.

Room Tip: Pay that little extra and get a sea/spit view - it's worth it!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Pixy1951
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 December 2013

I stayed for one night at the Blakeney Hotel on 19 October 2013. My treatment after complaining about a faulty bath plug (which meant I had less than an hour to bath and rest between a 14-mile walk and dinner) has been treated by the general manager and a partner as not deserving of sympathy or a proper apology. I have been treated abominably and am in contact with the AA about my complaint. In a letter dated 30 November 2013 by a partner, Emma Stannard, it is implied I am lying about my treatment by the staff and general manager. I do not lie.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
6 Thank Monica K
london
Reviewed 18 November 2013

...including fashioning a dog lead when we lost ours. We had a super newly refurbished room overlooking the garden. Very well appointed - including a hairdryer that could be plugged in near a mirror - you wouldnt believe how many hotels don't. Super towels and towels for use by the pool. Good steam room and sauna too. A slow draining basin was fixed within hours. Lovely Boat room lounge and Look out lounge and bar too. Guinea fowl a treat, haddock and sea bass main courses a delight, excellent savory tart as a starter. Interesting cheeses. Good wine - Chilean and French - so good we had both wines on 2 nights. Carmenere grape a particular favourite with this group. Dessert wine by the glass much appreciated - as was the Manhattan cocktail. Wonderful kippers at breakfast - not coloured and lightly smoked - delicious. Excellent bircher muesli too. Gluten free toast at breakfast much appreciated. As was the additional butter !

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank cultureoutdoors
Also consider these accommodations in or near Blakeney
The Pheasant Hotel
#1 of 1 in Coltishall
Congham Hall Hotel & Spa
Congham Hall Hotel & Spa
#1 of 15 in King's Lynn

Been to The Blakeney Hotel? Share your experiences!