The Blakeney Hotel
Hotels.com
Black Lion Hotel(Walsingham)
No availability for your dates from our partners
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsswimming poolafternoon teafirst floorwindow seatgranary annexedining roomsteam roomgames roomupstairs loungelookout loungeestuary viewwonderful hotelsconessunday lunchbar and restaurantpublic roomsthree courses
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 20 January 2014

We took advantage of a January deal offered by the Blakeney Hotel - unlike last year, it wasn't directly advertised online but a quick call confirmed the offer and our booking. The refurbishment of the hotel is nearly complete - it appears that just the restaurant and a few rooms/corridors remain.

We were pleased to find that the hotel had weathered the storms and flooding well, and the food and service remained excellent. One thing to bear in mind if you're not a regular visitor to north Norfolk is that a lot of local attractions are closed in the winter months, so an off-peak trip is best for quiet, lazy breaks consisting of long lunches, the odd swim and a good book, or walking and bird watching, though access to the point was restricted during our stay for well-publicised reasons.

Our room was large and comfortable - the large bathtub and drop showerhead with a wraparound curtain was the most notable feature.

Our most recent experience reinforced my previous reviews - would highly commend and look forward to visiting again soon.

1  Thank spiritofthetime
Reviewed 11 January 2014

I have stayed at this hotel many times over the past 25 years. For me, it has everything one could want from a games room / separate snooker room through to a pool / gym, secluded garden and excellent lounges / dining room etc. The views are wonderful, especially from the first floor lounge and the location is unique. In recent years some bedrooms and common areas have been refurbished with clever use of light. It took me a short time to get used to it but now I realise it is an improvement. I think further changes are planned. Some staff have been at the hotel for a considerable time which says something about the quality and shared pleasure of being in this special place. I stayed most recently just before Christmas with my very elderly father. It is the perfect place for a restful holiday where one can recharge one's batteries. I would give 5 stars but there was an issue last time about father & I paying different rates for same category room. Anyway one can't help feeling uplifted staying in this peaceful spot, especially outside the peak Summer period. Do give it a try, you won't be disappointed

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Rax23g
Reviewed 7 January 2014

I took my 82 year old mother here in October 2013 for three nights including dinner each night. We were given adjacent (not connecting) rooms with access to a small well kept garden with sea views. This part of the hotel had excellent access for wheelchairs.

Rooms were traditional yet modern and beautifully decorated. Beds comfortable, towels new and of good quality. Wifi was a little weak but worked okay. It improved in the main hotel reception area. We didn't use the pool or spa facilities but they looked wonderfully clean and well equipped.

The best features for us were the consistently good quality of the food and the very friendly and helpful staff in the restaurant and bar. I was wary of eating in the same place each night for three nights but the menu changed in subtle ways every evening and every course was either good or excellent. Breakfast was also a treat.

Being early October, with children back at school the hotel was mostly filled with an older crowd. I'd guess 75% pensioners at least but they were generally a well dressed and discerning crowd that gave the hotel an air of quiet sophistication. There was a buzz about the place from 6pm to 9pm (the hotel was full) but it quietened down quite quickly after 9pm.

Blakeney is a beautiful location with lots to explore on foot or by car. I would recommend this location and hotel to anyone looking to give their elderly relative(s) an out-of-season luxury break; especially the three night deals which represent excellent value albeit at the top end of the trade!

I assume a peak season experience would be quite different with families and their children buzzing around but no reason to think the service would be any less good. A classy hotel run with good old fashioned values and dedicated service.

Room Tip: If you are bad with stairs the garden rooms are very easy.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Sherald
Reviewed 7 January 2014

My boyfriend booked us a post New Year, 1 night stay at The Blakeney Hotel and we were very impressed.
We stayed in room 43 which is a suite overlooking the marshes and estuary to the front of the hotel and both agreed, it was one of the nicest rooms we had stayed in anywhere in the UK. The room has a juliet balcony and rooftop veranda/seating area overlooking the marshes which would have been lovely during the Summer months, however we unfortunately were not able to take advantage of this during a wet and stormy January.
The room also boasts a huge, super kingsize bed which was really, really comfortable and the bathroom includes a lovely, roll top bath and separate walk in shower.
The hotel itself is decorated beautifully throughout although I believe there may have been recent refurbishments which are ongoing as there were a couple of areas (the corridor outside our room and the bar area) which looked in need of updating to bring it up to the standard of the rest of the hotel.
My boyfriend and I decided to have afternoon tea on arrival which we thoroughly enjoyed and thought was very good value for money at £11.50. We booked a table in the restaurant for that evening and were somewhat disappointed by the meals there which we felt lacked a little flare and presentation - we agreed we had enjoyed better meals at worse hotels so although we would be happy to return to this hotel, we possibly would dine out elsewhere.
All staff we encountered throughout the hotel were friendly and efficient so no issues with service whatsoever, the only sight disappointment was the meals in the restaurant, although breakfast the next day was very nice with plenty of choice.

Room Tip: If you can, do try and book one of the suites at the front of the hotel. Our room (43) was gorgeous.
1  Thank Kezzasmartie
Reviewed 5 January 2014

We went for afternoon tea as a birthday treat, the surroundings excellent, all staff polite and friendly but they told us that they had run out fruit scones and so we said ok to cheese ones. They were a bit dry in comparison to what we thought we were going for - scones, clotted cream and jam - We were okay about it until he group who ordered after us complained that there were no fruit scones and hey presto ... fruit scones appeared for them within 15 minutes of us obligingly accepting cheese because there were no fruit. The lesson of the day :- don't be so obliging. As we were, kick up a fuss like what the other party did and the kitchen comes up with fruit scones ! :-)