“delicious”

Ranked #2 of 8 Restaurants in Coltishall
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

my husband 8 year old daughter visited here on sat 26th july in the evening for dinner. Service was very good and food standard very high. We had scallops to start which were very tasty and well presented. main course for me was 2 types of lamb with potato rosti and vegetables. The lamb was gorgeous as were the veg not sure about potato rosti. My husband had the fillet with puff pastry..it was very good. Daughter had fresh fish fingers with chips and green beans..again very good. Desert was a shared Creme Brulee it was large and good although i thought slightly heavy and too cold at bottom of dish. Overall i would not hesitate to visit again if we were near the area as was by far superior to the Recruiting Sargeant in my opinion. Thanks for a very good meal!

3  Thank Natalie S

Reviewed 26 July 2014

A good gastropub.
We went there on the last day of our holiday for a finale lunch.
The food was good, and the service was warm and friendly.
Just a word of warning. When you ask for your meat to be cooked rare, rare is what you get.
Overall a happy end to our holiday.

1  Thank Simon M
Reviewed 4 July 2014

I was taken to the Kings Head as a surprise date by my other half on a Thursday evening. We arrived at 5pm but food is only served from 6pm-9pm, so we booked a table for 6pm and went for a walk along the river.
First impressions were not great to be honest. It looked like an average pub with a small bar. Nothing particularly fancy and a little basic, so I was surprised when my boyfriend said it was 'somewhere special'.
We were the only people there at 6pm, although it did become much much busier later on, but service remained good throughout. We had attentive and polite servers.
The menu seemed pretty standard on paper. I ordered a starter of avocado, mozzarella and tomato salad whilst my partner had the chicken terrine. What arrived first, was a complimentary espresso cup of homemade tomato soup. It was delicious! Next, we were served a large homemade bread roll with butter. We were both very impressed with it. Both starters were also delicious and a nice size. I had the rump steak as my main. It arrived on a board with lots of homemade crispy onion rings, tomato halves filled with garlic butter & topped with breadcrumbs, a pot of peppercorn sauce and a tin cup of chunky chips. I was asked if I would like any sauce and was promptly fetched a ramekin of ketchup. The steak, onion rings and tomato tasted amazing together. I wasn't too keen on the peppercorn sauce - I don't think it was badly made, it just didn't go with the very garlicky tomatoes. I'm not a fan of chunky chips either so I let my other half finish those off. That didn't detract from the rest of the meal though and wouldn't put me off going for a meal there again. Dessert was homemade profiteroles filled with mint chocolate chip ice cream and covered in chocolate sauce. They were slightly dry but the pub was really very busy by this point and they weren't dry enough to spoil the enjoyment. The wait for each course was quite short - the longest being for the dessert, but it had specified on the menu to allow 15 minutes for dessert and we weren't kept waiting that long.
The food and service is definitely worth a visit in my opinion.

The only negatives are the surroundings of the place (it gave a different impression to the food) and the fact we were plagued by flies - a common issue next to rivers but I couldn't see much being done to remedy the issue (there was a single blue lamp attached to the wall but the flies didn't seem to be attracted to it at all, either that or it just wasn't enough). I guess the fact that I would willingly eat there again shows how good it is as I really hate flies around me when I'm eating and they kept trying to land on my food.

1  Thank Caroline C
Reviewed 1 July 2014

The Kings Head is my local, therefor I might sound bias. That is where I then go on to say The food is second to none & the service is excellent. The staff are both friendly & understanding to your requirements. Have never had a bad meal & Kevin often comes out with various tasters during your meal. A good atmosphere which is fully supported by Kevin's wife Sue & Tracy. A great place both for food & drink. Neil

1  Thank Neil T
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We stayed at the King's Head as my partner had visited on a couple of occasions 7-10 years ago and had extoled the virtues of Kevin's cooking and wanted to return. Unfortunately of the 5 meat menu options one was unavailable as they had sold out - is this poor planning for a Saturday night service? The potatoes were not Jersey Royals although we asked, likewise the Eton Mess came with strawberries although we were told raspberries? The profiteroles proved to be a choux bun cut in half with a dollop of ice cream sandwiched with a pool of chocolate sauce ? Overall the meal left us somewhat disappointed. The orange juice nicely served at breakfast in a jug however had been on the table a couple of hours before we sat down and had therefore got warm and stagnant. Other than that good breakfast. Accommodation adequate for the price but staff very pleasant. Nice location.