“Take A Cat!”

The Norfolk Mead Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Coltishall
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Stayed recently on business for one night - that was certainly enough!
Half of the grounds are currently given over to a building site with accompanying noises and chaos.
The room I had (£155 B & B) only had a shower which was in a bathroom that would make a telephone kiosk seem spacious. Pretentious- yes, value for money - no.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
7  Thank fussysod
fallty, Owner at The Norfolk Mead Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2014

I thought I would reply so Trip Advisor users get a fair, balanced response to this inaccurate review.

Firstly the building works do not take half the land as suggested, it is in our walled garden (which is approximately 1 acre), away from the main hotel and is only operational between 08:30-16:00 and not at weekends. I would also like everyone to know the work will BE FINISHED on Friday 18th April - (and thank you to everyone over the past 5 months for their patience - we have only had 2 very minor negative comments from the noise since the build started which says a lot I believe to how we have managed the exciting new venture..)

Mr Fussysod (as you nickname yourself) was paying £135.00 for dinner, bed and breakfast and not £155.00 for bed and breakfast as suggested. If you were not happy with the room why did you not say anything on check in or check out - we would have been more than happy to change you (and we are more than happy to do this if at all possible on a general basis).

I see there is no mention of the food, service, ambience, whilst at the hotel - the things most guests are interested in.

We are more than happy to accept constructive criticism when appropriate - in fact this often makes us a better place - but when things are put on websites that are factually wrong that is unfair.

However judging by the 6 reviews you have done so far - (3 average and 3 poor) it looks as though no hotel is good enough for you Mr 'Fussysod'

Reviewed 7 April 2014

My girlfriend & I stayed here in early April and wasnt too sure what to expect. After my stay I could then evaluate the overall experience and would rate it as excellent. The girls on reception greeted us in a friendly, happy and professional way. After that the courtesy and effeciency kept at the high level. The menu is extremely varied and prepared under the guidance of a chef who I feel is 'going places'. dinner and breakfast are a treat and the dining room is set in a contemporary style with enthusiastic young employees who have been taught to a high degree considering some of them are part time. The (Samphire) room was spacious, spotlesslly clean and couldnt be faulted. We thoroughly enjoyed my stay there, would recommend it and will return next year. The hotel is expanding its garden and when that is completed it will add an extra dimension to its facilities.

Room Tip: An upgrade to a suite is recommended. all rooms are quiet as it is set about 100 yards off the road...
Reviewed 7 April 2014

On arrival the hotel looked really impressive, although there was a bunch of nearly dead daffodils to greet us and a building site! (had we been told there was building in progress we wouldnt have booked) Aparrantly it is on the website but took a while to find. Obviously its not a problem with trying to improve their facilities but we felt it would have been curteous to have been told.

We got shown to our room which was nice, Hawthorne "A luxurious cottage rather than a hotel room" was the description on the website. However in our opinion the room was very bi-joux with a larger open plan bathroom which included a small table and chairs. Our room seemed to be the only one situated by the building works and noise and views of the building site. My husband went to reception and asked to be moved and was told the hotel was full.

We decided not to relax in our room as the dumper trucks reversing etc was too noisy, we headed out.

We came back and thought a drink at the bar would be nice. After dinging the bell 4 times someone came. I ordered a Hendrix and my husband a draught beer. No cucumber for my Hendrix? After looking in the kitchen the lady who seemed to be at reception, showing you to your room, and serving at the bar said "we have no cucumber, what kitchen doesnt have a cucumber!?" it did appear in my evening meal though?!?!

We came down to dine in the evening and could not fault the food. Everything hot and a good choice on offer. Compliments to the chef.
However we were greeted by a chap we can only presume was the owner. A very sraight to the point man with little personality.

The bed was very comfortable and the linen exceptional quality.
After a goodnights sleep we went for breakfast which again was good.

When checking out we got given our bill by the same lady as the previous day. No breakdown cost of the meal and drinks, never asked if we had a nice stay. We are people that never like to complain but felt the need to mention our building noise, we did however ask for discount on our room as we did have to leave our room for the afternoon. The lady was not very receptive to our complaints at first and said "we only had the noise for half an hour" It was definitely not just for 30 minutes!! then said "I didnt know you had a problem with the room" I did remind her that my husband had come to reception requesting a change of room. She then went to speak to the manager but he didnt even bother to come and speak to us. They took £30 of our bill. We would have preferred to pay the full amount and been happy with our stay as it was not our intention to try and get our night away cheaper.
Overall we wouldnt stay here again as we have had much better experiences at other "boutique" hotels in Norfolk.
Two deflated guests.

3  Thank Shaw1015
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Fell in love with this place from the moment we pulled into the drive. An idyllic, peaceful hotel with a classy and relaxed atmosphere. As if this wasn't enough, every little detail has been thought of. From delicious locally sourced produce served in the restaurant, to home made brownies left in our room.
We stayed here on a groupon deal, which usually means you receive a basic service in other hotels. However at the Norfolk Mead this was far from the case! Staff could not have been more helpful, friendly and accommodating to our needs. I would highly recommend a stay here and feel that the price reflects the level of luxury and personal touches provided. We will most definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 6 April 2014

My husband and I stayed in the room disconnected from the main hotel. We arrived fresh from our wedding reception at about 7pm ready for our dinner reservation at about 7.45. We went into the reception and we're shown to our room by a very outspoken man who showed us around, all looked fine at this point. We changed and went to the bar for a pre dinner drink, and waited to be called through to dinner. We were finally allowed to go through to have our dinner at 8.45, an entire hour after we were due to dine. No apology or offer of drink to pass the time.
We sat in the corner and ordered steaks, mine came in a sauce that was so extremely salty that I had to send it back. We chose not to have 3 courses as the day had been tiring and we felt deflated. On waking the next morning, I went to make a coffee, however there was no fridge and therefore no milk, not even any uht. Then. Went to use the bathroom sink and there was no way we could see to allow the water to drain, no instructions either. Then I used the shower and after 10 minutes the hot water ran out. So we had to shower in ice cold water. Breakfast was nice however but I felt I had to address the points with the front of house,due to not only the £275 I had paid for our stay, but the fact that we weren't looked after. I did not create a massive issue about anything however mentioned my points. I got about £40 off my bill however I felt really let down by my experience at the Mead, and whilst I appreciate that it's been almost a year since out stay, I've written this as I'm currently searching for a hotel for our anniversary stay and found myself on TA.
Note: I also feel the toiletries are not reflective of a hotel of this price. My recommendation for a lovely yet slightly more casual stay is the pigs at Edgefield, or for something the same price but much nicer, Titchwell Manor.

• Stayed: June 2013
10  Thank Hannah P
Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed for a weekend last summer. The hotel is lovely, excellent service, good rooms and lovely gardens, even had a stroll down to the river. It is quiet and peaceful, very tranquil for a perfect escape. The food is amazing, excellent evening meal, the best food we have had in a long time, and not too over priced. Breakfasts good choice of hot or cold and all cooked to order. I have recommend this hotel to many people and I will definitely like to go back.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Saw an offer for night at this Hotel to include Evening Meal and breakfast the following day and what a superb time we had.
The hotel is delightful, full of charm but with a modern twist , the setting is peaceful with the river just a short stroll over the gardens and the food is some of the best I have experienced.
Staff couldn't have done more to welcome us and the added benefit for those with dogs is that there are allocated rooms available at a small charge -fabulous place.

Room Tip: Our room was to the back of the hotel
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coltishall
Beechwood Hotel
#3 of 50 in Norwich
The Old Rectory Hotel
The Old Rectory Hotel
#1 of 1 in Crostwick

Been to The Norfolk Mead Hotel? Share your experiences!