“Very nice”

The Norfolk Mead Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Coltishall
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

We spent the last couple of nights at the hotel as a short break away. We had dinner in the hotel restaurant on the first night but decided that would be extravagant two nights running.
Top things: noise level- very quiet, peaceful; excellent breakfast; great food in restaurant (a little bit pricey). Friendly and attentive staff. Clean and well furnished room with a beautiful river view.

Not so good: the sloping ceilings in the room- my husband is tall and kept hitting his head. I also hit my head in the bathroom a couple of times. The room was quite compact considering the price we were paying.

Overall we enjoyed our stay.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Kate T

Reviewed 19 August 2014

We had our wedding reception here on 26th July and it was a fantastic day. All of our guests said what a lovely venue the Walled Garden was, and it is indeed beautiful as you walk into the gardens and inside the new building. However it was the service which made the day extra special. For example at the wedding breakfast a whole table was served at exactly the same time, and Emily was there when needed, although most things were fully under control! The food was delicious (as we had come to expect from dining at the hotel!) and my husband and I were sorry that we were so busy dancing that we didn’t get to enjoy the food in the evening. My husband was also pleased that there was a projector screen as it allowed him to set up a few nice surprises. We stayed overnight along with some of our guests and we all enjoyed a superb room and breakfast the next morning. We look forward to returning in the future.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Amber F
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We have just arrived back from the most amazing few days at this hotel. We were there to celebrate the wedding of my son and it was all we could have wished for. My lovely new daughter in law has said if she could have imagined her dream wedding this was how it would be. Where do I start. The service,the setting, the dining room, the staff, the amazing rooms and the wedding breakfast. Wow!! We loved it from the moment we arrived until the moment we left. The wedding ceremony took place at the church next door so it wasn't far to walk afterwards for the reception. The newly built wedding reception venue at the rear of the hotel has been planned to the finest detail. Cannot recommend it highly enough. I must finally mention Mark. Mark you were the star of the show and gave us so many giggles. Such happy memories. Well done Norfolk Mead. We will be back!!!

Room Tip: Samphire or Hawthorn
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Lizzie G
Reviewed 10 August 2014

The manager needs a lesson in customer service - we were asked a number of times to move closer to the table so they could service the table behind us. The manager the came along thinking he was helping us by moving the table - really!!! They should have set the tables correctly in the first place. I really do object to the manager thinking he was doing us a favour when in fact they should have got it right in the first place. The food was poor too. I won't be going back.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
14  Thank Kim D
fallty, Owner at The Norfolk Mead Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Many thanks for your review - its always nice to get some of the older members of the public reviewing for the first time!!

Again I would like to put a few facts straight so the public have a better understanding on the day itself.

Firstly - the tables were a little close together - granted (but mainly because the large party next to your table decided to spread out quite considerably!) What I don't understand by your comment is the poor customer service - I was told that a couple of your table had to keep pulling in as the waitress passed so I quickly attempted to resolve the situation by coming to your table to see what I could do - to which you rudely kept talking and totally ignored me (and at one point actually starred at me). I then repeatedly asked if I could move the table away from the other table to help the situation. We then moved the table about a foot and everyone seemed ok. I asked if that was ok for you - and your response was 'well I suppose so'. So if that is bad customer service then your obviously not in the industry - surely that's better than doing nothing at all...? What would you have suggested I did out of interest?

Finally I would like to point out that your final sentence suggests the food and perhaps the service was poor. Why do you;
a) Eat every last drop on all 3 courses
b) Tell the waiting staff at each course that everything is lovely
c) Tip £60.00 on a £240.00 bill for 6 people!

A lesson in manners, honesty, and fairness would be welcomed Kim D .......perhaps..!!

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Accompanied by our dog we recently stayed at the hotel. Set in attractive grounds at the head of the navigable part of the river Bure, with grass down to the river and a private dock, this attractive house has pleasant lounge and bar with access to the delightful walled garden where a wedding annex is situated. The dining room is light and airy and the food really is excellent, though if staying more than 3 nights you may wish the complete menu was changed more often, a slight change was made daily but not enough. Garden needs more seating to enjoy ambience.

The room, Juniper, was the only dog friendly room available, a couple of bowls and packet of chews were provided. Trouble is Juniper is not people friendly, it is accessed from outside which is convenient when staying with a dog, but it is on ground and first floor; on the small ground floor 2 arm chairs, a TV and tea and coffee equipment but the bathroom is there (superb shower) and upstairs is the bedroom, very good bed, and a dressing table, BUT the only hanging space is downstairs under the stairs. In the end we kept all clothes etc downstairs. This room can be joined to another upstairs but heavy feet can cause a problem to Juniper, A bit of redesign needed. Juniper has a courtyard but not secure so dog has to be taken out on lead.

We can recommend Crab Apple a separate cottage, spacious light and airy, very attractive, the addition of a fireplace and stove would make it a wonderful dog friendly accommodation. A couple of extra cottages would be welcome plus fenced area around cottage.

Downside: the owners are very focused on Weddings and on our last night a Thursday a wedding was booked and the Dining Room taken over for the event, hotel residents were displaced to an other dining room which had little atmosphere, and service was exceptionally slow. No apologies were made and no response to a mild complaint - all it takes is a complimentary bottle of wine! Also evidence of an accountant somewhere in management, butter portions were miserable, and fruit salad on morning buffet table was enough for 3 people not 26!

However the hotel is well placed and from the village centre a pleasant walk can be made around the river and broad. Norwich is 15 minutes away and well worth a visit.

Room Tip: Pay for the best.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank PeglegSussex
Reviewed 3 August 2014

We have just arrived back from a wonderful 2 night stay at the Norfolk Mead. In one word "Fabulous". If you are looking for a short break in a lovely part of the country, you will not go wrong with this hotel. Beautiful setting with a gorgeous walled garden . Food was a very high standard with lots of choices. Rooms were all tastefully decorated, we stayed in Sorrel. Staff were all friendly and helpful, especially David who made us feel very welcome. Will defiantly return.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank cat282
Reviewed 1 August 2014

This hotel is fantastic. Beautiful setting with sweeping lawns down to the river. The interior is lovely with a gorgeous walled garden to sit and have pre-dinner drinks. What can I say about the food? Only praise yet again. We stayed in Elderberry deluxe room which was pretty, really comfortable and the walk in shower fab. All the staff are very friendly and nothing is too much trouble. Will definitely be staying here again.

Room Tip: Look at all the rooms on the hotel website. They are all beautiful.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Maureen864
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coltishall
Beechwood Hotel
18 mi away
The Pheasant Hotel
The Pheasant Hotel
#1 of 1 in Kelling

Been to The Norfolk Mead Hotel? Share your experiences!