“GREAT PLACE TO STAY”

Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in King's Lynn
Cornwall
“GREAT PLACE TO STAY”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

Easy to find and a warm welcome was a good start to my stay. I was surprised how lovely the restaurant and bar was and although I didn't have an evening meal the menu looked extensive and fairly-priced. The room I was allocated (212) was actually in a separate building and although it looked a little outdated and 'tired' from the outside the inside of the room was very well appointed and very clean. Parking is plentiful and convenient for any room you are allocated. The history of this place is very interesting. It was apparently acquired in 1678 by the Ffolkes family and used to be the stop-off point for the mail route between the Midlands and Norwich and some of the rooms were used as jails overnight for prisoners in transit. It is also said that the place is haunted by a young nanny who threw herself out of an attic bedroom and fell on some iron railings that used to run along the front of the inn. Things have got a lot better since then though!. The hotel staff were very pleasant and most helpful. Breakfast was very good and amazingly quick to arrive following my order. I would have liked to have explored the place a little more than my time allowed but would definitely stay again. Very good value at £50 for the night including breakfast (via 'laterooms').

Room Tip: I think all of the rooms have been refurbished so I doubt you'd get a bad one.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank KAJCornwall
FfolkesArmsHotel, Manager at Ffolkes Arms Hotel-Temporarily Closed, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Thank you KAJCornwall for taking the time to leave such a lovely review! A great piece on the history of our hotel, thank you for that. I'm very pleased to hear we met your exceptions and look forward to doing so again on your next visit.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Tamworth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

Good Value for money accommodation. Clean Room. Large bathroom and shower. Staff friendly and helpful. Breakfast nice. Bar meals were lovely and lots of it. Only negative may be the noise from other residents on metal stairways and road noise but a pair of ear plugs can solve this (and they offer those at the reception area if you're a light sleeper!)

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Amanda H
Thank you Amanda H for you lovely review. I do apologise about the noise of the other residents on the metal stairway, this is something we are aware of and are looking in to at great depth. We hope to see you again sometime in the near future.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

Family room - late booking for a Norfolk trip. We got a b & b deal which was good value. The faulty shower was attended to quickly, and although not fixed straight away we were given keys to another room so that we could use that shower. Staff very friendly, and made us feel welcome. The complimentary breakfast was good, and full English set us up for the day. The evening meals seemed a bit pricey, we didn't do the special meal deals on offer, but when the plates arrived they were full , generous proportions and fresh veg (seen being delivered both days) explained the price. We found this a convenient touring base, and we would return, the main building is an old coaching inn (I think) and the accommodation block is a more recent addition, rooms clean and adequate ,
there is a busy road within earshot, so may not be the choice for some.

Stayed April 2014
Thank you for your extremely kind review - we pride our selves on cooking home made meals and giving hearty portions! We look forward to seeing you again soon.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2014

We had a comfortable relaxed stay here. The room was quite small though and the furniture in the room looked like it had been taken from the 1970s. The food was very good and generous portions. Some staff could perhaps have made more effort to be friendly. On balance we would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Judith S
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. I am sorry that we failed to meet your expectations and I can only apologise for this. I am glad you enjoyed your meal and I will be addressing the staff regarding their customer service. With regards to the décor of our rooms, I guess you can put it down to taste. I do hope we get the chance to welcome you back to the hotel in the very near future.
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014

I can,t praise this hotel enough!!! From arriving in the car park and having a word with the owner as to where he would like me to park my 7.5tonne truck and trailer for the night to the pleasantness of the girl on reception and the excellent chicken curry that was served to me for my evening meal, all this was done with professionalism and style. My room was excellent with everything I needed for my overnight stopover a lot more comfy than some of the other establishments that I have stopped in recently. The icing on the cake was the full English breakfast that set me up for the day !!!!! All in all a superb hotel that I shall be visiting in the future.

Room Tip: I had the cheaper room option and was pleased with the size and facilities.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank NeilG315
FfolkesArmsManager, Manager at Ffolkes Arms Hotel-Temporarily Closed, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Thank you NeilG315 for a glowing review, we hope to see you again in the very near future.
Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

All the photos looked good & the hotel description was encouraging,so we booked on line for 2 nights.
50% was paid at the time of booking and we were asked for, & paid, the balance immediately on arrival................unfortunately before having seen the room. Think holiday camp accommodataion in the 60's.............an ugly two storey block accessed by an outside fire escape staircase which took us to our accommodation. We were shocked when we finally managed to push the door open to be presented with such a dismal low ceilnged room with the smallest double bed we have seen for many a year. We immediately returned to reception to ask if this was the best they could do as our room was horrible & were told that all rooms wrere the same & that it served its purpose with bathroom, TV, teamaking faclities etc.
We said that we were not staying and would be looking for a refund on the grounds that in our view the website was misleading. We were told that they could not refund as they were full and had been turning business away....................however on the following day we could have booked 4 doubles on line, so, on what would have been our second night, the hotel was, in fact, anything but full - plus, on arrival, we could see that there were very few cars in the car park & no lights were on in any of the rooms in the block Full, hmm?.
Fortunately it only took a couple of minutes on the phone to transfer to the Best Western, 5 minutes up the road, wher we thoroughly enjoyed our 2 night stay.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank giffygg
Hazel H, General Manager at Ffolkes Arms Hotel-Temporarily Closed, responded to this review, 22 February 2014
I apologies that the 5 year old pictures on trip advisor have not been updated, they've had new ones. We also apologies for it raining and being dark at night but again there is nothing we can do about that. If you had selected professional pictures you could have viewed pictures of all the rooms and the hotel, which are accurate and up to date. We had 175 people stay last week, these are either working in the area or coming to enjoy the area. I apologies that they were not all lined up to greet you. We had one review from the 175 people whom stayed last week, and unlucky for us it was you. People whom are happy and enjoy themselves tend not to leave reviews on trip advisor. When people arrive we try to be more personal with them rather than treat them as a number. On occasions we do get people who do not come to enjoy themselves.

Travellers are raving about these King's Lynn hotels

north yorkshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2014

Stayed here for convenient location to a meeting in Kings Lynn the following morning, having only paid £45 inc. breakfast we weren't expecting the Ritz. Ffolkes Arms is easy to find, plenty of parking, friendly & hospitable staff upon check-in and in bar. Rooms were in a separate building next door to the hotel, room was good with all frills and a clean bathroom, wi-fi provided in rooms and in the main building. Ate here and menu was pub-grub style food, a little expensive for what was on offer, £5-£6 for starters such as pate, soup, prawn cocktail, £12-£17 for mains such as steak and ale pie, scampi etc. Food was served quickly, with a smile and was tasty so no major complaints. Breakfast was hearty and plentiful, no complaints here. Staff always friendly with a smile around the hotel. Only downside if I am being picky? Foreign residents smoking at the side of the annex building, I could smell his stinking cigarette smoke from my room with the window shut!! (note there is a clearly signed "smoking area") and same residents clanging down the metal staircase of the annex building. If you are a light sleeper the nearby main road noise and people going up and down the metal staircase may keep you awake, fortunately I am not one of these people so didn't bother me. All in all a good value for money stay and I would stay here again, not the hotel's fault that ignorant people cannot smoke their cancer sticks away from others.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank kromeandtime
Many thanks for the review, as you have said, we do have a smoking area which is clearly signed. We have also placed a note in rooms asking people not to smoke outside the rooms as it does upset other guests.