The best part of our meal was the wine and that really says it all. On the rather naff ipad wine list were some good wines, but heavily marked up. The food was OK but not good. The scallop starter was mean with just two quite petite scallops; my main of bream was poor - it was overcooked and dry; the carrot cake sticky toffee pud lacked distinction and was supported by very unexciting ice cream when in Norfolk you can have stunning ice cream.
Add to this ordinariness the quality of the service and a 3* score looks generous. The service was poor. We were asked to come to the table 20 minutes before any food arrived, which is amateur; the staff did not know which dish my wife had ordered and stood rather doopish waiting for us to tell them where to put the plates; the pace of service was poor - long waits. Given the place was less than half full heaven help the guests when they are busy!
Finally prices are very steep. A glass of Pol Roger is £12 - this is too much for the customary small champagne glass; the scallop dish was not a £10 one; the wine mark up was too high. I know the price of quite a few of their wines at retail and trade prices.
It was a lovely evening out but we will not go again and would recommend quite a few places within 5-8 miles as much better. Enough! It was close to "poor".
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled within the beautiful Norfolk countryside, Congham Hall is a privately owned Georgian manor house situated 20 minutes' drive from the sandy beaches of the North Norfolk coast. A variety of market towns, nature reserves and the Queen's Sandringham Estate are also within a short drive. Each individually designed bedroom is very spacious offering extremely comfortable king sized beds and picturesque views across the estate. The team of award winning chefs create dishes using a wide variety of vegetables and herbs from the estate served in the Orangery restaurant overlooking manicured lawns and glorious parkland. For something a little more informal, indulgent afternoon teas are served in the lounge next to the cosy log fire. Set within 30 acres of wonderful parkland and extensive gardens, Congham Hall also boasts a croquet lawn and tennis courts. Congham Hall's luxurious Secret Garden Spa is where you'll find a stunning 12 metre pool, sauna, steam room, bio-sauna as well as an outside hot tub. You may also choose to unwind with one of the relaxing and rejuvenating beauty and massage treatments which will restore body and mind and leave you feeling completely revived. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Agoda, Odigeo and Priceline so you can book your Congham Hall Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Congham Hall Country Hotel
- Hotel Congham Hall Country
- Congham Hall Hotel & Spa UK/Norfolk