“A Pleasurable Return”

The Dukes Head Hotel
Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in King's Lynn
Reviewed 13 May 2012

It is 45 years since my previous stay in the Dukes Head Hotel which was on my wedding night. Recently, I came across a special offer which encouraged me to book an overnight stay. The hotel's owners have invested heavily to update and modernise and the result is excellent. The room was well appointed and the public lounge where we enjoyed afternoon tea with home made scones and the dining room were comfortable and tastefully furnished. Fortunately, for a town centre hotel there is a rear car park but unfortunately the side door which afforded direct access to the lift is permanently locked for security. The provision of a key pad might be a way to solve this. The quality of dinner was first class and the staff with the exception of one, friendly and helpful. Self service breakfast is available in the Bistro at the front of the hotel which was quite acceptable but at the stroke of 09.30 the staff rushed to remove the dishes to change it back into its daytime roll. The manageress was less friendly than the staff but this could have been due to her having to attend a staff meeting. This didn't mar our visit and we do plan to return and I am sure she will be less stressed than she obviously was.

Room Tip: There are some larger rooms at the front of the building. The rear ones were in a modern block and...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
GezC_11, Owner at The Dukes Head Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2012

We are so happy that you came back to us after so many years, we are extremely honoured by your comments. You so proudly pointed out about our afternoon teas which are proving to be a great experience. Breakfast comments I have taken onboard and next time you are with us breakfast is on me. So proud to have you with us and we are awaiting your return. See you soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,129)

Reviewed 13 May 2012

Chose hotel as had to be in area and decided to use groupon voucher, which is currently fantastic value for money
As an ex hotelier and now one who stays at hotels as part of my business, i appreciate what the owners are trying to do. I note previous responses to trip advisors reviews which many other hotels do not do so well done.
having read other reviews i will add some other points which i hope will be of assistance to the owners and future guests
Hotel has good location, but for first time visitors to Kings Lynn the hotel car park is difficult to find
Comfortable lounge, rooms of very good standard but could do with in room guest folder and telephone contact number for reception
We took afternoon tea and then an evening meal in restaurant. Afternoon tea service needs some attention especially in connection with quality of sandwiches and cakes.
Restaurant was excellent, well furnished and comfortable (seats were great, a aspect many hotels get wrong)
Food and service was excellent, i note aim to get rosette and having seen a la carte menu have no doubt hotel will recieve this, well done to chefs concerned. You may have to look at quality of bread served
breakfast was overall good, but eggs etc on display were 'tired' and coffee poor, an investment in a good coffee machine would be great addition
Our one concern was the quality of welcome on arrival, sadly the receptionist concerned was in our opinion curt, unwelcoming and unhelpful. We understood that check in was from 2:00 pm (we arrived at 1:25pm) our request for a slightly earlier check in was met by the statement 'it is company policy' arrangements to leave small amount of luggage in a small store room was not helpful. Understand that hotel has policy but not sure this is a good practice. If we did not have business in the area i suspect we would have sought accommodation eslewhere. Some sensitive training may solve the problem we experienced. We did mention our experience on checking out the following morning
Overall we would recommend the hotel, for location, quality of service (excluding remarks made above) and certianly quality of evening meals. We wish you every success in further developing this hotel

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for your feedback, it's always important to let us know your thoughts. We are happy and proud that you enjoyed our decor and service. You are right we are not far from a rosette on our food and service as we just gained our 4* AA rating two weeks ago. I take on board about the welcome and as always have acted upon this already. Please do come back soon and enjoy our wonderfull experience again.

Reviewed 7 May 2012

The hotel has an excellent position by the main square, and has an imposing front and good reception area and lounges. The staff were all very friendly, and mostly efficient. The chamber maids and workmen (refurbishment work still ongoing) all greeting customers with a cheery greeting. So a good vibe of a happy establishment.
Our room was a reasonable size, and set out as a triple. If the single bed had been set up as a sofa it would have improved the room - but still good. The bathroom was very good, quality fittings and tiles. Everything was very clean and attractive and the complimentary wi-fi worked fine in the room.
Our offer included dinner for the first night - and this exceeded our expectations. The dining room was excellent, as was the waitress, and the 3 course meal, from the good breads right through the 6 dishes we had between us, the included bottle of wine and coffee, was very good. Overall this restaurant is AA rosette standard, and worthy of having salt and pepper mills rather than pots. We had already booked to go to the Market Bistro for our second night, but would happily have dined here again.
Being able to lounge in nice sofas with a coffee was very pleasant, and this could be seen as a venue for a "chill-out" break as well as a fine business venue. Papers were delivered outside your door - a nice touch. Breakfast was buffet style, pretty good, and fancier options (e.g. Eggs Benedict) available as extras. It would have been good to have some interesting bread or rolls (as in the restaurant) rather than the commercial sliced variety. It is lovely to have breakfast and look out through the window across the square and see the town coming to life ready for another day.
So overall we were very pleased with our stay here - our first in one of this group's hotels. The receptionist checking us out could ensure that she remembers to give out the code to get out of the car-pack, on leaving. I was one of three people who realised they needed a code, in the car park, in the rain, and had to go back in and get it!
Great value stay, and recommended.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
GezC_11, Owner at The Dukes Head Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2012

Thank you so much for your review. We are very happy and proud of the quality and service you received. As per our previous reviews it just shows listening to all guests and staff do make the future brighter. Now we are convinced after reviews like yours and our acheivement of four star * AA rating last week everyone will enjoy the experience provided. Thanks once again and hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 30 April 2012

Recently stayed here on a groupon 2 night deal. On arrival we were initially disappointed as the building looked quite a dismal 60's building. However this was the rear and once you walked to the front the lovely Georgian aspect was fantastic, unfortunately there is no rear entrance which is a rather long trek back and for the car park if you have a lot of luggage and its raining.

On booking in I was told we didn't have a reservation, I produced my email confirmation and consequently a room was sorted, I would not have been happy otherwise as we had travelled for 6 hours to get there.

The hotel has recently been refurbished and all the rooms downstairs are really lovely and have a great warmth to them. The bedroom was fine, not too large but adequate and the bathroom was again compact but nice and fresh looking. However, when you sat on the toilet seat it moved sharply to one side as if falling off, further inspection showed it was the wrong seat for the toilet, it was a very cheap plastic seat and ill fitting (I don't know if this was the original or a replacement seat). When I used the shower I thought it was going to flood as the water was lapping the edge of the shower tray (it appears the waste is slow draining) it never did flood but it certainly made you feel nervous. The hair-drier fixed on the wall looked like a retro 1970's wall hanging drier. Unfortunately you cannot use it whilst someone is in the bathroom as the mirror is all steamed up. I found the drier impossible to use you needed both hands to pull the flex out and it was incredibly noisy too, and is the first hair drier I have ever failed to get to grips with in a hotel and if I stay again I will bring my own that can be used in the bedroom.

We had our cream tea in the lounge and in the evening had a fantastic 3 course meal and wine in the lovely dining room, all 3 courses were wonderfully cooked and the wine was great too.

On going to bed there weren't any glasses in the room, just one small very cheap plastic beaker that was sharp around the edges, we had to share this between us which I thought was cheap for a 4 star hotel. We also only had one pillow each, fine for me but my husband likes 2, usually there are spares in the wardrobe, but not here. We both slept well, although there was no bedside lamp on my side of the bed meaning all the rooms lights had to remain on for me to read in bed.

Breakfast was served in the canteen at the front of the hotel and we were greeted nicely by the staff and had a lovely breakfast with plenty of choice.

In the morning I asked at reception for an extra pillow for my husband and I for 2 glasses for the room as there weren't any. They told me they would be taken up whilst we were out.

Kings Lynn is a fantastic place full of heritage and wonderful churches and places to see. This was our first visit to the area and it was a great base, we had a wonderful day walking and exploring.

That evening we ate out at the old bank which is now a restaurant and we had another lovely meal, there are plenty of venues to choose from in Kings Lynn. On returning to the hotel, we found 2 of the cheap plastic cups in our room - not glasses as requested and 2 pillows. I tried to put the lamp off the desk on my bedside table but the plug was the usual square pinned version and the socket was a round pinned version so i was unable to move it so had to resort to the whole room of lights again.

Breakfast again was lovely and the staff were very pleasant. On checking out I mentioned the toilet seat and bedside lamp, all hotel website pictures show 2 lamps in the bedrooms.

Overall we had a brilliant time and wouldn't hesitate to stay there again or recommend it and although I have mentioned a few things they are all minor issues that can be rectified with some minor tweaking, I have seen on trip advisor that the management do listen to some advice and that is what this is intended to be. I would suggest that you put real glasses in the bedroom - not cheap sharp plastic ones, additional pillows in the wardrobe, proper toilet seats not cheap plastic ones and 2 bedside lamps. When it comes to replacing the hair driers use traditional ones which are easier to use and can be in the bedroom so steam isn't an issue either. Opening a rear exit would be a good idea too especially for the elderly or less mobile.

All the staff we dealt with were very friendly and helpful at all times.

1  Thank KittyWales
GezC_11, Owner at The Dukes Head Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2012

I thank you for your review as good and bad feedback is very special to us. I am happy that you enjoyed part of your stay with and have taken notice of your other comments that you have mentioned. We are just about to finish our refurbishment . We are doing a full snagging list which will be taken care of immediately. We have already implemented more standards since your visit. I am happy that points have been taken care of as only last week we achieved our Four Star * AA rating. We intend to get our rosette pretty soon. I do hope you come back and experience our wonderful product again as the tweaks you wanted have been done. See you soon.

Reviewed 29 April 2012

Stayed 2 nights. Excellent location as a base for sightseeing and close to restarants, etc. Clean, well appointed room. Staff friendly and attentive. Room price slightly on the higher side but reasonable value.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for your review, it's always good to have feedback. We are happy you enjoyed your stay and also the surrounding areas to the hotel. Please do visit us again we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 27 April 2012

Stayed on a groupon break and it was excellent. The staff we encountered were all very friendly and professional and we found the service to be spot on. The afternoon tea was just right (hot scone with clotted cream and strawberry preserve) and the evening meal first class. On entering the breakfast room, a very pleasant young woman who was working there took our table no, and explained it was self service, she brought our choice of beverage immediately and we throughly enjoyed a very generous breakfast.

The hotel has been undergoing a refurbishment which may be almost complete, we were certainly impressed with the comfort of the lounge and bar area and thought the dining room was beautiful. It would be super for a wedding reception venue. Parking at the rear of the hotel very convenient. Our room was standard like many of the foreign hotels we have stayed in.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
GezC_11, Owner at The Dukes Head Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2012

So happy with your feedback, our afternoon teas are proving very popular as you experienced. You are right we have many weddings booked being such a great venue. We went through months of detail before implementing all decor and consumables, and we are happy that everyone has taken notice. Please do look out for all future events. Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 24 April 2012

We booked a two night stay under their special offer deal, of bed and breakfast, with afternoon tea and dinner with wine on the first night. We arrived with a slight concern about what we would get, but had a very warm welcome. The room was standard, but very comfortable, modern and clean, and the afternoon tea and service an excellent pick me up after our journey. . The evening meal was probably the best we have had for a long time and the choices were very good. We used the hotel as a base to visit Sandringham and the surrounding areas. Well located, great experience and well worth the money. We will go again.

Room Tip: A bit of refurbishment work was going on so try the rooms at the front where refurbishment is comple...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple

So happy to hear that you enjoyed our great experience. A lot of time and effort has gone not making a stay with us unforgettable. All staff and management are happy that you really enjoyed the hote especially your dinner. I really do hope you come and try our latest rooms which have just come back on. See you soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near King's Lynn
#11 of 15 in King's Lynn
Le Strange Arms Hotel
Le Strange Arms Hotel
#2 of 4 in Hunstanton

Been to The Dukes Head Hotel? Share your experiences!