“A Good Hotel”

Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in King's Lynn
England
“A Good Hotel”
Reviewed 23 May 2013

We stayed here for a Saturday and Sunday night in April. Behind the old façade lies a modern hotel with 78 rooms in a modern block. The rooms are clean, with modern furniture. The bathrooms do not have a bath but they do have a walk in shower with plenty of water.

There is a car park at the back which can hold about 50 cars. Further overnight parking is available in the Tuesday market at the front of the hotel except for nights before the twice weekly market.

I was unable to find DB&B on-line so I telephoned the hotel who offered identical prices and could provide DB&B. I think this option is not available on-line because their dining room is limited to about 50 covers per night. Their dinners were excellent and served at a leisurely pace.

Breakfasts were served in a different room and offered all the usual.

The bar/lounge area is large with waiter service available although this can be slow on a busy Saturday night.

Overall the staff were very willing and helpful although one or two seemed inexperienced.

There is a theatre (Coliseum??) on the opposite side of the Tuesday market and the hotel offers pre-show meals.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ed21
David W, General Manager at The Dukes Head Hotel, responded to this review, 28 May 2013
Dear Ed21

Thank you very much for posting a lovely review of our hotel on Trip Advisor, I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed your stay with us.

As part of our on-going improvements, I have recently appointed a new Food and Beverage Manager who will prioritise staff training especially to our new younger members of the team in order to bring them up to speed.

I am sure that when you return, you will have an equally enjoyable stay.

Kindest Regards

David Williams

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 May 2013

Stayed here recently and thoroughly enjoyed my overnight accommodation. As other reviews state it has been extensively restored and the grand old building has a quality feel about it. It's frontage overlooks the historic market square and you can get a great feel for the history of this once significant port town.
Rooms are decorated to a high standard and I certainly got a good nights sleep. One minor gripe was the toilet let - its was lightweight plastic and was coming loose and didn't match the otherwise stunning bathroom decor.
Breakfast was okay - but then I'm not a big breakfast person.
I would highly recommend this hotel and will stay here again in the future.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
David W, General Manager at The Dukes Head Hotel, responded to this review, 23 May 2013
Dear Norfolk-MB

Thank you for such a lovely review of our hotel on Trip Advisor, I was delighted to read that you ad enjoyed your stay with us.

Thank you also for pointing out the toilet seat, I will address this to ensure that it is replaced with the correct specified product.

I look forward to your next visit where I am sure you will have an equally enjoyable stay.

My very best wishes.

Saffron Walden, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 May 2013

We enjoyed a two night stay in the Dukes Head Hotel courtesy of a Living Social deal that also included a dinner in the Turners restaurant on one evening. The hotel was subject to an extensive refurb quite recently; this has been largely successful in maintaining the character of the historic building, whilst incorporating generally stylish complementary decor. The location in Tuesday Market is ideal for those wanting to explore old Kings Lynn - car parking dedicated to the hotel is limited (although we were lucky) and might come under strain during peak periods.
Upon arrival, we were dealt with efficiently at reception, although a little more warmth would be beneficial. The decor was generally tasteful although perhaps lighting in reception might be improved to make it more inviting. Our room, No. 3, on the first floor was in the original building and was very nice in terms of size, decor and lightness with a good ensuite. It was tastefully furnished with a good, albeit very firm, bed. Given the age of the building and the inevitable movements of the structure with time, the refurb must have proved quite tricky - this was generally done well although the bathroom floor tiling appeared to have been underspecified as cracks were evident as it struggled to cope with the old floor beneath.
Our first night meal in Turners restaurant was very enjoyable in a well lit, elegant setting with nice service that struck the right balance. The three course table d'hote meal had just one failing in that no vegetarian main course was offered (not a problem for us but an oversight IMHO). For starter we had a game terrine, which was very nice. For main, I had a great rib-eye steak with chunky chips and veg, whilst Cathy enjoyed a fillet of sea-bass; all were nicely presented and cooked to perfection. Puddings were a panna cotta with raspberry coulis and a chocolate marquise with orange sorbet. Overall a great meal and a place that I'd revisit when in KL.
Breakfasts in Gryfens were quite nice with a pretty standard range of cereals, cooked breakfast and fruits. The room itself was by contrast with Turners was somewhat more clinical and cafeteria like - not particularly inviting, which might explain why it seemed almost deserted at times other than breakfast.
The hotel also offered a generously proportioned lounge bar area with a variety of well spaced sofas and chairs where it was possible to enjoy a drink, a chat or a quiet read.

Overall, we'd happily return to the Dukes Head if needing a base in the area.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear AndyMcGonegal

Thank you so much for taking the time and trouble to write such a lovely review of our hotel on Trip Advisor, it is very much appreciated.

It seems that on the whole you had an enjoyable stay, but I am grateful for all your feedback which I will personally look in to.

Here at the Dukes Head we strive to get every aspect of our facilities and service right, and as the newly appointed General Manager, I am currently working on improving the food offering across the whole hotel so that both the offering and ambience is acceptable to all of our guests.

Gryffens has recently benefited from a new menu and the room itself is now scheduled to be looked at for comfort and ambience.

I am sure that when you return you will be delighted with the improvements which are always on-going.

My sincerest gratitude for your review.

Kind regards

TOWIE
Reviewed 19 May 2013

The Dukes Head Spring special was an absolute bargain, the room was very clean, light, airy, quiet and comfortable. Breakfast was good and good value. The hotel has a lovely restaurant and lounge, staff are helpful and friendly. Car park is free but small, we got the last space. Had a great stay and would recommend the dukes head to you.

Room Tip: Room 102 the twin, nice and quiet
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Dear TowieTips4Trips

Thank you so much for your lovely review of our hotel, both I and the whole team were delighted to read your comments and we were all pleased to read that you had enjoyed your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in Kings Lynn.

Best regards

Guildford
Reviewed 17 May 2013

The refurbishment has lifted the whole hotel and staff. Tasteful and modern décor combine well with the sweeping staircase opposite reception. The bedroom in which I stayed was very comfortable with very fast wi-fi thrown in, The food was superb and was of the highest class and the service could not be faulted.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
David W, General Manager at The Dukes Head Hotel, responded to this review, 22 May 2013
Dear Hoodwink7

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to write a review of our lovely hotel on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to read your wonderful comments regarding the refurbishment and the food and service in particular as it is usually the staff who make the difference.

Please come and see us again in the near future where I am sure you will enjoy your stay once more.

My very best wishes

Downham Market, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 May 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night on a Wednesday as I was watching a show at the corn exchange . We had a fantastic meal in the restaurant food was amazing and service very good !!! Breakfast was not so good think they need to work on this a little more what they offered was not up to standard not great choice and need to use better quality ingredients with both the hot Buffett and cold other than that had a good stay !!!

• Stayed May 2013
Dear H159

Thank you so much for posting a review on Trip Advisor.

I was very pleased to read, that on the whole, you had thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us, and that you thought the evening meal was amazing.

Since my appointment 8 weeks ago, I have been working with my Chef and Food and Beverage staff to improve the food offering across the hotel, and thus far have created a new menu for our Gyffens restaurant and lounge, (full of old favourites which you would find in an old fashioned tea house which also includes loose leaf tea) room service and Sunday lunch. We are now focusing on our fine dining menu then breakfast and finally Banqueting.

I am sure that when you return, you will see an improved breakfast offering as we look to serve locally made sausages and other ingredients.

Thank you once again for your review and for your valuable feedback.

Kindest regards

Reviewed 13 May 2013

We stayed at the hotel this weekend and I was so pleasantly surprised! I've lived locally but it used to be quite drab inside but it's been refurbished like a palace! Surya hotels have turned this beautiful hotel into an up market stylish hotel with beautiful bedrooms and relaxing reception rooms and restaurant. We didn't eat there as we were staying there for a party but the restaurant looked very upmarket. We had a very comfortable night went to the bar in the evening and sat on beautiful setees. The breakfast was amazing the young man who greeted us was polite and courteous. Beautifully laid out breakfast with helpful staff. I would encourage everyone particularly local people to stay at this hotel, it made out weekend very special! Thank you

• Stayed May 2013
Dear Pplnhc

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our beautiful hotel on Trip Advisor.

I am especially delighted to read, that as a local resident, you thought the refurbishment and improvements have been a success and that you had enjoyed your stay at the hotel.

The Dukes head is indeed a hotel where the local community frequent regularly and enjoy homemade food and beverage in lovely surroundings all served by caring staff, and I was delighted to read that you felt the same way.

I hope to see you again soon.

Fondest regards

Heacham Manor Hotel
Heacham Manor Hotel
#1 of 1 in Heacham
Best Western Old Hunstanton Le Strange Arms Hotel

Been to The Dukes Head Hotel? Share your experiences!