We booked a Travelzoo deal to come to the hotel for a Saturday night stay. The deal itself was excellent value. On arrival, reception staff were really helpful and friendly. We went to the lounge for our included cream tea. The lounge quickly became very overcrowded with guests for a wedding. Chairs were moved around the lounge by staff, which then caused them to have to step over the chairs with trays of hot drinks. It was clear that staff were really truing their best, but there was too much to do and to many people in a small space. We overheard comments from other nearby guests to the effect of “I feel like I have come to Fawlty Towers”. Despite the above, the cream tea was delicious! I note the manager’s comments below re the Griffin room being an option for afternoon tea, but this information was never offered up by staff and probably would have made things nicer for everyone.
We had reserved for dinner at the hotel as part of the package. The menu choices were good and the quality of the food excellent. The staff were clearly over worked and there appeared to be no one coordinating things which left the full dining room with a service that was inconsistent and disorganised. This was not because individual staff members were not trying their best! They were clearly embarrassed at the level of service they were able to provide. One element of our main course was forgotten. We noticed the same for other customers. We did point this out, (but no staff came near us until we had all but finished this course, otherwise we would have said something sooner. We were kindly given some complimentary petit fours, but would have preferred to actually have the vegetable with the main dish.
We waited 20-30 minutes between our starters being cleared and our main course arriving. The table next to us got their main courses immediately, but this appeared to be because of a mix up over the timing of their starters. It was sad to see the staff so clearly under pressure as they were really trying their best but overrun with demand.
The same applied to breakfast the next morning. Breakfast selection and quality was good, but with food elements and crockery constantly running out. Because elements of the cooked breakfast were so intermittent in arriving, this meant that customers were constantly having to get up and down from their tables and there was far more footfall in the small room than there would have been otherwise. There were plenty of staff around, but again no-one had an overview of what any of the customers needed. This meant people having to get up ask for cutlery etc. Staff would then get distracted from what they had been doing to appease a different guest’s complaint. There were lots of people muttering and complaining around the room, which does not make for a relaxed breakfast service for staff or customers.
Overall, we had a very nice stay and Kings Lynn is really interesting. Parking was no issue for us at the hotel and is an added bonus. Just a few improvements on service could make this hotel so much better than it currently is. I am sure the staff would be much happier if they were able to deliver the leave of service they clearly wanted to. No complain about the staff themselves at all! Well done for your efforts in difficult circumstances!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the heart of King's Lynn old town and overlooking the historic market place, the Duke's Head is perfect for discovering what Norfolk has to offer to the business and leisure traveller. Since Georgian times, this impressive classical building has welcomed visitors including Princess Victoria and Sir Robert Walpole (generally considered to be the first Prime Minister of Great Britain) in considerable comfort and style.Its location overlooking the ancient market place in the centre of King's Lynn would have denoted its importance in a town peppered with fine historic buildings. The Duke's Head is located walking distance away from King's Lynn station, nightlife, restaurants, bars and leisure club. Kings Lynn is serviced by regular trains to London and serves as an ideal location for discovering Norfolk. North Norfolk is an ideal tourist destination. Whether you enjoy the lively atmosphere and entertainment offered by traditional seaside resorts, the tranquility of the small fishing villages, which spring to life at high tide, you can't help but be impressed by the beautiful coastline and the fascinating history of its towns. The Hotel has recently benefited from a 3 million pound refurbishment. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Superbreak UK, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, LateRooms, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your The Dukes Head Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Elizabeth Dukes Head Hotel
- Dukes Head Kings Lynn
- The Dukes Head Hotel UK/Norfolk