We booked a weekend break at the Legacy Duke's Head through Secret Escapes and were not disappointed in our choice, we really enjoyed exploring King's Lynn and its surrounds, and our room (#5) was immaculately clean, beautifully decorated and very comfortable.
Our package included breakfast both mornings, and dinner in Turner's Restaurant on one night. At dinner, the ingredients were obviously high-quality and the portions were generous. I would say that our main courses were a bit mixed in terms of success, but the puddings were excellent. We thought the breakfast buffet was very good in terms of quality and choice.
A couple of small things were not ideal. Our Secret Escapes package was sold as including "a chilled bottle of champagne on arrival", and sure enough, the receptionist asked us right away if we'd like our champagne in our room or with dinner. But when we asked our dinner waiter for it, we discovered that what you actually get is prosecco. We queried this and he said "yes, this is prosecco champagne." I like prosecco perfectly well - but if that's what the offer is, say so, don't be misleading.
The other issue was the water pump. On our first night, we were woken by loud rattling/banging noise, seemingly from under the hotel, which occured every couple of minutes. We called reception at about 1.30am and were told it was the water pump and that it 'might stop of its own accord'. It didn't. The next night, we didn't hear the noise, but in the morning there was no hot water at all. When we checked out, we mentioned this and the receptionist told us it was due to the water pump, and had affected all rooms, but would be fixed later that day - which was hardly relevant to departing guests who'd had cold showers. She didn't offer any apology whatsoever, which meant we left feeling annoyed - a simple "I'm sorry" would have been nice. It was a shame as all the other staff we'd met over the weekend were very friendly and helpful indeed.
Lastly, I have seen other reviews mention how bad the parking situation is - we didn't agree. When we arrived on Friday night, it was getting late and the carpark was full, so we had to pay to park in the square, but this cost only £1 until the following morning, so it was no great inconvenience. The next day and night we had no trouble getting a space in the hotel parking lot.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the heart of King's Lynn old town and overlooking the historic market place, the Duke's Head is perfect for discovering what Norfolk has to offer to the business and leisure traveller. Since Georgian times, this impressive classical building has welcomed visitors including Princess Victoria and Sir Robert Walpole (generally considered to be the first Prime Minister of Great Britain) in considerable comfort and style.Its location overlooking the ancient market place in the centre of King's Lynn would have denoted its importance in a town peppered with fine historic buildings. The Duke's Head is located walking distance away from King's Lynn station, nightlife, restaurants, bars and leisure club. Kings Lynn is serviced by regular trains to London and serves as an ideal location for discovering Norfolk. North Norfolk is an ideal tourist destination. Whether you enjoy the lively atmosphere and entertainment offered by traditional seaside resorts, the tranquility of the small fishing villages, which spring to life at high tide, you can't help but be impressed by the beautiful coastline and the fascinating history of its towns. The Hotel has recently benefited from a 3 million pound refurbishment. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Superbreak UK, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Ebookers, LateRooms, Evoline ltd and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your The Dukes Head Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Elizabeth Dukes Head Hotel
- Dukes Head Kings Lynn
- The Dukes Head Hotel UK/Norfolk