“Enjoyable stay”

Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in King's Lynn
suffolk
“Enjoyable stay”
Reviewed 25 March 2014

We stayed at the Dukes Head with a Living Social deal which we upgraded to a classic double,on available
the receptionest had kindly upgraded us again.We approached our room by a lovely old wooden staircase(400 years old)to find a faultless,clean spacious room,looking out over the square we had a chandelier above the bed and even a double built in sink in the large bathroom.After unpacking we had a popular cream tea in the lounge with two large warm scones,individual jars of jam and plenty of cream,later we managed a very tasty dinner in the busy restaurant. Thoughout our stay the all staff were kept busy with guests,but at all times they were polite, helpful and made you feel nothing was to much trouble.
Next time we are in Kings Lynn for the day we know where to have lunch and treat ourselves to cream tea before our ninety minute trip home.But i hope one day we will stay again.
Thank you to all staff including those behind the scenes,keep up the good work.

Room Tip: Room 6 There maybe some late night noise from outside but the hotel and room is worth it.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
David W, General Manager at The Dukes Head Hotel, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Dear brillant08

Thank you for posting a lovely review of our beautiful hotel on Trip advisor. I was pleased to read that you had made use of our Living Social deal and that you had thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us.

Be sure to keep an eye open for our next deal which will be published soon.

Kindest regards

David Williams

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (326)
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Our overnight stay was a part of my husbands Christmas present a groupon offer which included overnight stay, afternoon tea, 3 course meal with a bottle of wine and buffet breakfast.
We were quite excited about our stay after reading the reviews and our stay definitely didn't disappoint.
From the time we checked in everyone were friendly and helpful, we were thrilled with the décor and the whole feel of the place. We paid a £10 upgrade charge and our room was on the second floor at the front of the building which overlooked the market square, it was spacious and was newly refurbished to a high standard the king size bed was firm but comfortable.
Dinner was good although my husband thought the portion sizes were quite small, service was very good. The only negative I could find was the size of the dinning area it was too small and tables were too close together it was unbearably hot even though the radiator near us was not on, the temperature outside was very cold so I don't really know where the heat was coming from. Even the waiter suggested that we might prefer to have our coffee in the lounge area which was cooler and very spacious, he seemed to be wilting in his jacket. The restaurant could do with some air-conditioning units or ceiling fans. Breakfast was varied and plentiful, scrambled eggs were not to my liking very soggy but I think you can request fried or poached eggs instead.
All in all a very enjoyable stay the location of the hotel is brilliant with some great shops on the doorstep. Would definitely go back.

Dear TraceyB44

Thank you for posting a review of our hotel on Trip Advisor.

It was lovely to read that your recent stay was a Christmas present and that generally you had an enjoyable stay with us.

Your comments regarding the temperature in the restaurant has been passed on to our property department, and I am sure that in due course we will have air-conditioning installed which will help.

I hope that you will return and stay with us again where I am sure you will have an equally if not a better enjoyable time.

Kindest regards

WIGAN
Reviewed 24 March 2014

On arriving we parked in a disabled parking spot opposite the hotel, very convenient, but at reception we were told that there was a parking charge and to use the hotel car park at the rear. I explained that I have limited mobility and asked where the room was. It was on the 3rd floor, at the front, the lift was at the back and when reached the 3rd floor journey along the 3rd from back to front had several up and down groups of stairs. No help was offered with transporting the luggage! When I moved the car I found that the hotel car park to the rear there was no rear entrance and another trek was required to enter the hotel at the front.
Once the room was reached it was very bright and comfortable, but there were 3 steps up to the bathroom!! Another problem was that I had booked a superior room so that I could have a bath - very difficult when there was no bath plug!
Wifi - never in this country have I been in a hotel that had a "barring out" on Gambling sites. My hobby is horse racing and was intending to spend an afternoon enjoying my sport , that went out the window! The duty manager visited my room to apologise but offered no solution to any of the problems! Oh I was given a bath plug sorry.
When taking our order for dinner the Head Waiter told us that the salmon main course option had been changed to plaice. I asked him if it was a fillet or whole fish he said "We don't want to see heads and tails do we? I only eat fish in batter with chips!" Not the reply I was expecting!
The food I have to say was good and well presented. I ordered a French Domaine wine that had a cork and the charming young lady serving us said that she did not know how to open it. I was happy to show her but feel that this is really a management job.
In conclusion there are some positives and some young staff who are keen and very pleasant but being poorly led and visitors should be advised of the access difficulties.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Dear JOHN R

Thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor.

I was sorry to read that you experienced issues during your stay, however had we have known you had limited mobility prior to your arrival, we would have been in a position to have allocated you a room nearer to the lift, unfortunately, when you arrived these rooms were all unavailable.

I was unaware that betting sites had been barred, and until reading your review It had never been brought to my attention, but I will speak to our supplier to have this lifted.

The other issues raised have been discussed with the various managers responsible, and the individual who took your dinner order no longer works for us.

I was, however, pleased to read that you found the food to be good and that we had keen and pleasant staff working at the hotel.

Sincerely

Essex
Reviewed 24 March 2014

This was a Christmas present to my husband and myself. What a lovely hotel, so clean and bright. Our room was spacious, and clean with tea/coffee facilities, comfortable beds, modern shower room. The meals were lovely, and great choice. Staff were very friendly and helpful,nothing was too much trouble for them. I would definitely recommend this hotel and hope to return again soon.

Dear sneezy30

Thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor, I was so pleased to read that a Christmas present you received was to stay with us at the hotel and that you thoroughly enjoyed your time with us.

I hope that you will visit us again, where I am sure you will have another great stay.

My very best wishes.

Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Stayed for 2 nights, Fri 14th & Sat 15th March 2014 as part of a Groupon deal. Good quality, clean comfortable hotel. Fiendly staff, relaxed atmosphere. Cream tea consisted fo a very large scone, clotted cream & individual pot of jam. Very nice! Had 3 course dinnner on both evenings, excellent food and good value for money.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Dear sallylandchrisa

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to write a lovely review of our hotel on Trip Advisor.

Our Groupon offer has, indeed, been very popular and as such I am pleased to inform you that our next deal will be out shortly, so be sure to keep an eye out for it.

I hope you will come along again and enjoy the hotel once more.

My very best wishes.

Essex, England
Reviewed 22 March 2014

Stayed here on a Groupon deal. This is probably one of the best we have done. Arrived before our room was ready so our luggage was stored & we were served our aternoon tea ( part of the deal), in the very comfortable lounge, the scones were massive. The room was a standard double, clean, good size & recently tastefully refurbished, warm, comfortable king size bed with nice modern bathroom & tea & coffee facilties. Couldn't ask for more. Also included was an evening meal 'including' wine. Often Groupon deals have limits on the menu, here there were none, we ate very well, food was good, 3 courses, no restrictions & a bottle of Merlot ( I believe they had run out of the house red). Good friendly service. Breakfast was buffet style, everything from cereals, fruit & yoghurt to full english, basically as much as you could eat. Friendly staff & a good location, free parking in hotel car park for the duration of the stay. Thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Would look to return.

2 Thank Fauts
Dear Fauts

Thank you for your wonderful review posted on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to read that you had made use of our Groupon offer and that you felt it was good value for money in a lovely hotel.

Be sure to look out for the next offer which will be slightly re-mastered and will be coming out soon.

Once again thank you for your review.

Best regards

Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 March 2014

After by-passing this town on numerous occasions we decided to spend a couple of nights and find out what the place had to offer.
I thought it would be pretty straight forward finding this hotel as it has a prominent position on the market place. That turned out to be far from the truth. After driving round Kings Lynn's one way system for 45 minutes with no sight of it I gave in and let the sat nav take us there. This it did quite well and we ended up at the car park behind. NOTE: Don't forget to ask for the car park key code before you leave.
The staff were all very friendly and helpful and we had a short walk from reception to room number 3 which is in the original hotel building and not the extension that Trust House Forte built on the back.
We had no complaints with the room which had a selection of very nice biscuits and free wifi which is always welcome.
Two large windows overlooked the pub next door which has live bands playing at the weekend. If you need an early night this may be a problem as they do not finish until 11pm.
We dined in the restaurant on the first night and the food was excellent. The hotel had a major refurbishment recently and this is shown in the high standard of fittings and overall cleanliness. The restaurant can get a little stuffy as there are no external windows, but it has a good atmosphere and the staff are very attentive.
Breakfast next day is served in the same room. It would be far better if the hotel served it in the room at the front where it used to be, but this space is to be turned into a coffee shop which is a great shame.
If the hotel is busy, breakfast is all of the buffet style, but the first morning was quieter and we had waitress service and a good choice from the menu. A thoroughly enjoyed the full English.
Kings Lynn does not have a great deal of places to visit, but there are some interesting areas in the medieval section and by the old customs house. Look out for the canon ball that was meant to have been fired at the church! There is also 'The Walks' starting at Greyfriars Tower which is very close to the hotel and there are tunnels to the sea open during the summer months.
We both enjoyed our stay at the Dukes Head and would be happy to return when the tunnels are open.

Room Tip: Rooms in the original building are close to the pub which can get noisy at weekends.
Dear damasinnas

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our hotel on Trip Advisor.

I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us and that you found our refurbishment and cleanliness to be of a very high standard.

I hope that when you next visit Kings Lynn you will stay with us again.

Sincerely yours