“A good choice”

Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in King's Lynn
Bedford, United Kingdom
“A good choice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

My wife and I have just returned from a long weekend stay in the Dukes Head Hotel,King's Lynn, we were part of a group of 15 persons on an annual mini re-union of ship mates,all off of one of HM Ships we were serving on in 1965/6. The individual who organised the visit " did good "
The hotel is well placed in the town, although the car park is at the rear of the premises and there is no access into the hotel at this point, one may drive into Tuesday Market Square, park within a few metres of the entrance to offload your passengers and luggage then follow the receptionist's directions to the parking area, same routine in reverse applies on departure. Access to the car park is controlled by an automatic barrier for which you will need the code to exit, this code is supplied at reception and apparently is altered daily.
The stay at the hotel was a pleasure, our first contact was Steph. on duty at Reception, and she was typical of the rest of the staff. The following descriptions are not in any order of preference/importance, purely Alphabetical :- clean; helpful; informative; pleasant; smart and smiling.The accommodation was spacious and clean, I think that the room, being a double, could use a second chair. As a group, although all of us being somewhat long in the tooth,we are a boisterous entity and as such had decided to eat in a privately owned Inn, frequented by the man who was the organiser for the weekend, so the only food I qualify to be able to comment on is breakfast. It is a 1st class buffet.I cannot fault the choice, I am not going to list all that was available except to say that one does not often come across the likes of figs in the bowls of preserved fruits, and if you are partial to Black pudding,order it from a member of staff in the breakfast room on entry and it will be cooked and plated up and waiting for you when you when you are ready for the main course. The bar is open for 24 hours daily, free newspapers are on offer, and nothing seems to be too much trouble for any of the staff to be able to react to. All in all, a pleasant experience, one which I would repeat should the occaision arise in the future where i needed to stay in that area of West Norfolk.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
David W, General Manager at The Dukes Head Hotel, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear Happywanderer543

Thank you so much for posting a lovely review of your stay on Trip Advisor, it was a real pleasure to read that you found all aspects of the hotel to very good especially the staff.

I too hope that you will return, and perhaps next time you will dine in our Turners Restaurant where I am sure you will enjoy good food and great service.

My very best regards

David Williams

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (312)
Swindon, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

This hotel was ok, but that's the most I can say about it, although I have to say the food in the restaurant on an evening was very nice with very good service. although breakfast was not so good.
The first thing you notice about the hotel is the fact that the car park is round the back of the hotel which would be ok if you could get into the hotel from the back but you have to drag your luggage round the side of the hotel which is quite a walk with heavy luggage, our room was at the side of the hotel which is right next door to a noisy pub, although I must admit it didn't go on to late so not too much of a problem .
The room was ok but again nothing special.
The hotel has got the most wonderful old staircase which at least gave it a bit of character.
The staff were all friendly & helpful but I can't honestly say that I would bother to stay again unless I couldn't get anywhere else in the area, but I wouldn't mind eating in the restaurant

1 Thank sue_eddie
David W, General Manager at The Dukes Head Hotel, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Dear sue_eddie

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor.

I was pleased to read that you had enjoyed your evening meal and that you found the service to be very good with helpful and friendly staff.

I was, however, sorry to read that the room did not meet with your expectations, and by the sound of it you were occupied in either a cosy or standard room in the new part of the hotel, which are modern and all have a walk in shower.

Perhaps when you return, you could request to stay in a classic or feature room, which are located in the old part of the hotel, where most overlook the historic market square and I am certain you will be happy with these rooms.

Thank you for you review.

Best wishes

General Manager.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

We have just spent two nights at this gorgeous hotel. Lovely building with loads of character in an excellent location, great food and friendly staff. Who could ask for more? We will certainly be going again!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Annie S
Dear Annie S

Thank you for posting a review of our hotel on Trip Advisor, I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed your stay so much that you are hoping to stay with us again.

We all look forward to welcoming you back.

Kindest Regards

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 1 night. We booked a double room and received a family room which we didn't want. The room was dirty; dust on surfaces, hair on bedding filled with holes, dirty cups which came with complimentary lipstick marks and blood in the bottom left in the bathroom. A noisy toilet which took over 30 minutes to fill, the noise was horrendous. Outside the room dirty laundry filled the stairwell, the chemical cleaning cupboard left open and the doors were banging all night long. Overall it was a disappointment and ruined our honeymoon away.

Would not stay here again.

3 Thank Michelle A
Dear Michelle A

I was very surprised to read your poor review of our hotel, and would actually question whether this experience is actually genuine?

If the review is genuine, then I am at a loss as to know when you stayed, which room you were staying in and why you did not report any of the issues mentioned at any time to my team during your stay.

As you can see from past reviews we do not have dirty rooms, nor do we have sub standard laundry and we certainly do not have noisy toilets.

It is always sad to read if guests have had issues during a stay in any hotel, and they choose not to highlight them or give the hotel and its team the opportunity to rectify any problems but instead decide to post a poor review on Trip Advisor.

I am sure that our friends on Trip Advisor will read several other glowing reviews and continue to choose to stay with us in the future.

chigwell
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

Had a two night stay. This is the third time I have stayed. Same high quality. Food excellent, helpful friendly staff. Room clean. Ideal location. This hotel has really been upgraded to a high standard

1 Thank dvnorton
David W, General Manager at The Dukes Head Hotel, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear dvnorton

Thank you for posting a lovely review of your stay on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed your third stay with us and that you found all aspects of the hotel to be of a very high standard.

I hope to welcome you back again soon where I am sure you will continue to enjoy our lovely hotel.

My very best wishes

High Wycombe, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

Whilst we did not stay at The Legacy Duke's Head Hotel we did eat there on a number of occasions. On each occasion the waiter/waitress took time to explain what options were available for my wife, who is coeliac, & demonstrated a good understanding of the condition. There is a 2-course option (£21) or a 3-course option (£25) & a full vegetarian menu. There is a good choice of dishes. All of the food that we had was cooked to our liking, was of generous proportions and well presented. With crisp white table cloths and serviettes this restaurant may appeal more to senior citizens, although we did observe younger people and familes eating. On our last evening the maitre d' took the opportunity to ask us if we had any criticisms or comments about our eating experience that would enable them to improve their service.

3 Thank UKroamer92
Dear UKroamer92

Thank you for taking the trouble to write a review of your visit to our restaurant on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to read that you found the dining experience an enjoyable one, and your comments regarding the staff are very nice indeed, as it is they who make the real difference to our guests.

I hope that you will visit us again in the near future.

My very best wishes

Wrexham Wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

I was booked into the Duke's Head at the last minute on a business trip. I arrived late and was unable to park in the hotel's car park, however there was plenty of space in the square in front of the hotel for an overnight fee of £1.
My room was modern, clean and comfortable. I dined in the restaurant which was enjoyable and the service attentive.
I would recommend this hotel and will use it next time I am in the area.
If you park in the public car parks remember to pay at the meter from 8.00am

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank RAYKAV
Dear RAYKAV

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor. I was pleased to read that you had enjoyed your stay with us and that you found the hotel to be modern, clean and comfortable.

I also hope that you will stay with us again the next time you are visiting the area.

Kind regards