“Great service”

Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in King's Lynn
Stevenage, England, United Kingdom
“Great service”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

It was with some trepidation that I undertook my business trip to Kings Lynn. I had hard bad things about the town and things didn't look much better when I stepped off the train so be surrounded by some seriously looking inbred people. The town itself actually wasn't too bad from what I saw, at least not for a couple of nights. This was also made a whole lot better by my stay at the lovely Legacy Duke’s Head Hotel.

Just a short walk from the train station, through the town, this hotel is easy to find, located on the side of the large town square. The reception staff were very friendly and accommodating and my thanks goes to them for selecting me a quiet room, my number one priority in any stay.

The room itself was a good size and had a clean and modern feel to it. I would have liked a bath as well as a shower but that is only a minor thing, especially given the reasonable price that was paid.

The restaurant meal I had on the first night was lovely and the service I received was exceptional. The meal we shared as a business on the following night in one of the function rooms was also of a good standard. Breakfast offered a good range of cooked and continental choices.

From a business point of view things went well and the service was attentive.

Overall I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and would recommend this hotel if you are looking to stay in the area.

Room Tip: Room 8 was nice and quiet
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
David W, General Manager at The Dukes Head Hotel, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Dear Harry G

Thank you for posting a lovely review of your stay with us on Trip Advisor.

I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed your stay with us and as a result, hopefully given you a much better opinion of Kings Lynn.

Kindest regards

David Williams

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (332)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Very cold room. Asked for a heater and they said because of the health and safety can.t give us one... windows very poor ... the wind was blowing up the net curtain. Duvet was a summer one, very thin. Food not very nice. One thing for sure-- won.t return here...

• Stayed November 2013
Dear mrPJone

Thank you for posting a Review on Trip Advisor.

I was sorry to hear that you were cold during your recent stay, and that we were not forthcoming in supplying you with a heater. As it is summertime, all of the heating in the building is switched off and indeed we have changed our bed quilts for summer ones, however there is no reason for not supplying guests with what they require.

I will of course look in to the issue to ensure this does not happen again.

My very best regards

London
Reviewed 13 July 2014

From the outset this hotel is good; the beds are comfy, the bathroom is clean; it has free Wi-Fi! You will love the cosy bar; the restaurant food is superb and the breakfast is good. So why does this hotel just get an average rating from me?

We saw the online deals, such as other reviewers discussing travelzoo, and were interested, but in the end took the deal offered by the hotel which included bed, breakfast and dinner. What the deal does not tell you is the hotel car park easily gets full and you have to park in a car park around the corner. So, after a long journey, the female receptionist just breezily said the car park was full. She forgot to say we had to pay a further five pounds to park in the urban car park, one unfamiliar to us, overnight. We found ourselves walking through the town carrying all our stuff. Great!

This isn't surprising as the hotel failed to inform us at the time of booking a festival was taking place in the town during the weekend we had booked to stay here. Don't get me wrong, the festival is excellent for the town, but as potential customers we should have been informed that the event was taking place as we may have chosen to come at a different time. The reason for this is the hotel faces onto the Market Place where the concerts took place and the hotel had provided a bar for gig-goers in the entrance. Don't take me for a moaner, as I love a trip to the O2 Arena, but being greeted by stern security guards when we arrived at The Legacy Duke's Head Hotel was not exactly a warm welcome. I accept it was safety, but the suspicious glare of the guards as you wheeled your suitcase into the reception made you feel like you were entering a nightclub rather than the charming atmosphere the hotel promotes on their website. But then again I was yet to meet the disinterested churlish hotel reception Manager!

Well, TripAdvisors, I shouldn't be surprised by the dismissive response (see below) as the hotel does not place the paying hotel guest first: the pop-up festival bar was also the breakfast room and the comfy hotel bed did not give a good night's sleep as the scraping of furniture below me, probably putting the breakfast room back in place, interfered with my sleep. Not good.

Frustrated by parking in a car park around the corner we had to pay for and entering a tightly well-guarded nightspot rather than a hotel I decided to discuss this with the bored male Manager hovering reception. Well, he was the Manager on duty and the customer is always right hey? Seemingly not. And this was after a fellow male receptionist dithered trying to find our booking information. So, with the 'Manager' just watching him struggle to find our bookings as we stood waiting for what felt like minutes on end it was no surprise he didn't understand my growing discontentment. In simple terms I explained we had no choice but to park in the car park around the corner; we had to pay extra for this when there is a complimentary car park on site. He offered to find us a parking bay in the hotel car park; he failed to grasp we had already paid for the car park or gathered up all our belongings so we didn't have to leave the hotel again that night (it's not the same as parking outside accommodation where if you leave something you left in the back seat you can pop back and get it). There was no apology, no offer of a complimentary drink for the problem or the parking cost deducted from our booking. Although, I did get brusqueness thrown in as a complimentary extra: the reception Manager said he got the impression I could never be pleased here. If being judgemental to a hotel guest is part of managerial training these days then well I'm lost for words!

Seemingly the Manager didn't know me whatsoever as the hotel is actually very good. The hotel is located centrally and on nights such as this where the concert took-over the town you don't need to leave the hotel if you don't want to as everything you could want is here.

My only gripe? Just one; the corridor lighting is on a timed setting so you can find yourself unwittingly in a blackout and struggle to find your way into your room. If you do succeed in unlocking the door, you will find the rooms well-furnished with plenty of towels and toiletries. The shower is superb and there is also satellite television. It was also such a pleasant surprise to find free Wi-FI in the room.The evening meal was excellent; proper home-cooked food. The chef really should be congratulated. Excellent.

Moreover, the waiting staff work so hard and want to ensure you have a good stay; this is to the detriment of hotel Management. Yes, the rude reception Manager did not help my experience, but the hotel deals are excellent if they work for the guest. In this case it didn't.

For instance, we were told our table was booked for 8:30 p.m. : not offered a table at 8:30 p.m. I mean we are on our holidays, not staying in a regulated institution! We should have been given choices. And when we went down to the restaurant at 8:30 p.m. we were given complimentary drinks as the table wasn't ready. We eventually sat down forty minutes later. We ventured down to breakfast the following morning and had to wait ten minutes for a table because there wasn't one. Oh, and then you have to flag down an exhausted waitress (the only one!) ten minutes after being seated for coffee as you can't just have a fresh pot for you to pour at your own convenience. This is not an inflight service it's a hotel. If you want a fried egg you have to ask the frazzled 'senior catering manager' to have one cooked for you. And when it eventually comes the rest of the breakfast is finished. Oh, and you won't be able to hear your fellow guest or guests as the staff member allocating tables at the entrance constantly shouts over you trying to find free tables for waiting guests. It does seem Management does not understand what the customer wants.

Overall, through promoting amazing deals seems great. But not being able to provide the advertised services or on time is not so great. Or for reception Managers to be polite. Again, not so great. That's why it gets an average rating.

You can see why the receptionist didn't ask if we had enjoyed our stay when we checked-out.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank thetraveller089
Dear thetraveller089

Whilst I always welcome all feedback on Trip Advisor, what you have not written in this report is how hostile, rude and offensive you were towards myself and my team when you arrived with your mother.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2014

We spent an enjoyable weekend in King's Lynn staying at the Duke's Head Hotel.
We didn't benefit from the Groupon deal, which seems to be excellent value.
Along with other reviews, the food in the restaurant, for dinner, was excellent as was the service.
The room was modern and well equipped, however, as mentioned by other guests the wastes in the basin and shower were blocked and did cause a little inconvenience, this would surely obvious to the cleaning staff, so shouldn't need to be reported by guests.
In some of the public areas the carpets were very dusty and would have benefitted from vacuuming.
The room was very hot, what appeared to be an air conditioning control, didn't function.
The breakfast was a little chaotic, asking for an item off the menu and requesting more coffee, seemed to be a chore for some staff.
Overall, a lovely hotel, but given my experience, would only stay if I benefitted from a good deal.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear Alpha B

Thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor.

I was very pleased to read that you had enjoyed your dinner experience in our Turners Restaurant, but was disappointed to read that you had experienced some shortfalls during your stay.

As for the drainage, this is something that has recently occurred, but I am pleased to report that the issue has since been resolved.

We do not have air-conditioning in any room, the controls on the wall are for heating only and is a real help in the winter.

Thank you again for your review.

Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Beautiful hotel, been refurbished to a great standard. Even had a ramp at the stairs to the lift for the less able, problem was no ramp for the high steps to the heavy front door to the hotel...
Room was spotless and staff really pleasant, the staff that were there that is. We had a package that included dinner on the first night, the starter was promising really well set out and very tasty, then we waited and waited and waited noticed that others were sat with dirty plates in front of them also waiting, after 30mins plus our plates were taken away and our order for dinner taken, in the meantime the couple on the next table had been served and returned the steak as it was rare (very) not well done as ordered. while we waited for our dinner the chap got his steak back and had to send it back again as it was still rare, we got our steaks I bearly touched it with my knife and it bled on the plate, so sent it back, had to send it back again and gave up. Others were doing the same with their food, we ordered a hot sweet which was beautiful until you put your spoon into the centre which was frozen, couldn't believe it, we left along with others. In the morning there was a queue for breakfast (which I have never had before, one resident remarked "Fawlty Towers comes to mind." Breakfast was great although slow. Apparently they had over 100 sittings the night before and it was the same for breakfast but only three staff on both times. (are they cost cutting) Our breakfast on the last morning was wonderful, but they had plenty of staff on. We had a lovely meal, service great at the Globe Hotel across the square on our second night would recommend you go there to eat.

Room Tip: didnt see any other rooms ours was on the third floor at the side of the hotel and was great. Very c...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Thank H.Hesketh
Dear H.Hesketh

Thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor.

I was sorry to read that you had experienced issues with our restaurant during your stay and I would like to offer my apologies for these, I would, however like to thank you for your kind comments regarding the room and the staff which is very much appreciated.

Kind regards

Dorking, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2014

My wife and I recently stayed in this hotel on a groupon deal, we did not really know what to expect , but on arrival we were both pleasently surprised how friendly and professional the staff were and the hotel was amazing in fact faultless, the food was to die for and we would both definitely recomend this hotel to anybody 10 stars

Room Tip: Ours was fab
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank chandlercapel
David W, General Manager at The Dukes Head Hotel, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Dear chandlercapel

Thank you for posting a glowing review of our hotel on trip advisor, I was pleased to read that you had made use of our Groupon offer and that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind regards

Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

Our excellent deal was with Travel Zoo .. Real good value for money .. Could not fault the hotel , a few niggles at the service in the Restraunt in the evening , Megan did her best to keep up with the service but they had a man down , who came straight back from casualty after having 5 stitches in his leg .. Well done to him most would have gone straight home . Bedroom was comfortable & slept well , shower excellent & hairdryer worked a treat . Our room no was 112 which over looked the alley on the side of the Hotel , with the window open you could hear the smokers in the bar garden opposite , lucky they closed @ 11 pm ish so no problems .On arrival we had a cream Tea , part of the deal served by Curtis the bar man , who preformed his duties very professional , and it was nice to see so many choices of gins . Breakfast had a good choice on most things , but the staff needed to keep an eye on the refilling & stocking up when busy ! Bacon was good quality but a personal choice I don't like spicy sausages for breakfast ! No choice there . All in all we enjoyed our stay & would pay a return visit if ever in the area again . Especially if we saw this deal again ...

Stayed July 2014
Dear Outandaway

I was pleased to read on Trip Advisor that you made use of our Travel Zoo offer and that you had thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us.

Thank you also for highlighting individual staff members efforts which added to your enjoyment, I will be sure to pass these comments on to them.

We have offers and deals available on a regular basis, so keep an eye open for them, and please come and visit us again soon.

kindest regards

Heacham Manor Hotel
Heacham Manor Hotel
#1 of 1 in Heacham
Best Western Old Hunstanton Le Strange Arms Hotel

Been to The Dukes Head Hotel? Share your experiences!