“Almost faultless”

The Dukes Head Hotel
Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in King's Lynn
Reviewed 24 July 2014

I have just spent a night at the 'Legacy Duke's Head Hotel', the staff without exception were very helpful and professional in there duties, the food and service in the restaurant is first class, We stayed in the original part of the hotel in a classic room which was furnished to a high standard.

There are also standard rooms in the hotel extension at the back of the hotel, no doubt they
will offer adequate facilities with the same excellent service.
The extension is such an eyesore and is not in keeping with the original building which
stands on the Tuesday Market Square and in easy reach of all that Kings Lynn has to offer.

The only reason that I say almost faultless is that, the hotel lacks air conditioning anywhere, with temperatures in the high twenty's it did get a little sticky.

Even so I cannot wait to return only next time for a longer stay!

Room Tip: choose a classic room
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
David W, General Manager at The Dukes Head Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Dear salmon-tors

Thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor, and thank you also for your lovely comments regarding my staff who will be delighted to receive them.

I was also pleased to read your comments regarding our restaurant, which has since been awarded a rosette by the AA and we are all very pleased to receive this accolade.

I must agree that the hotel has been quite warm these past few weeks as we all enjoy the lovely summer sunshine, however, I was pleased to see that it has not put you off from coming back for a longer stay.

Kindest regards

Reviewed 24 July 2014

A very beautiful hotel with such history ! Inside there is the most stunning stairs where you can just imagine ladies of yesteryear walking down with their gowns trailing behind them.
Reception was very friendly and quickly took us through the necessary booking in process.
Our room was lovely, beautifully set up and spacious with a huge en suite and high sash windows. Very comfortable bed.
Our room was on the side, which is the lane you have to use from the hotel carpark to go to the main entrance. There is the back of a pub which sits across the lane and next door to the hotel on the Square, there is a live band at night (we were there at the weekend) and the pub's air conditioning is constantly on whirling and noisy for 5 minutes and then off for five minutes entirely through the night. Very draining when you want to sleep.
This is not a fault with the Dukes Head - we did talk to reception and they were going to talk with the pub. Only because of this I personally could not sleep at all the first night, I slept a little the second. So I would say possibly get a front of hotel room.
Dining was a wonderful experience. Namely, Natasha is just amazing she is so lovely, very welcoming and again thanks for the Beetroot starter - you know what I mean ! On the Sunday it was a full cover for Dinner and although it was also baking hot weather Natasha held the entire service together, even with a short staff, all with a smile on her face.
She also had two trial members of staff namely River and Calum working with her, we were very impressed by their attentative manner, both very personable young men who would be a great asset to the dining experience in The Dukes Head. Chef is amazing, beautiful service & awesome flavours. We enjoyed every course of every meal. Last but no means least an extremely lovely setting to dine in.
The breakfast room is set at the front of the hotel looking over the square, a nice outlook to have breakfast, serve yourself and a super choice of hot and colds.
We will definately be back.

Room Tip: Maybe front rooms if the pub next doors aircon isnt switched off during the night.

Dear HARDBATTLE

Thank you so much for posting a review of our lovely hotel on Trip Advisor. I was so pleased to read that you had enjoyed your stay, and thank you also for your kind comments regarding my team.

Since receiving your review, our Turners restaurant has been awarded a Rosette by the AA for our food and service, and we are delighted to receive this accolade.

Please come and visit us again soon where I am sure you will have an equally enjoyable time.

My very best wishes

Reviewed 24 July 2014

Everything was excellent, the public rooms, the food, our bedroom and the pleasant very efficient service. Whilst the original hotel has much old world character it has been very well refurbished. Bar prices and wine at table were a bit in the high side. The only fly in the ointment was the lack of sufficient car park spaces. There appears to be one car park space for every two guest bedrooms. We never saw an empty space during our stay. Careful "juggling" of cheap overnight local authority parking next door and free overnight on street parking proved okay but needed a little care and forethought.

Dear Denis B

Thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor.

I was pleased to read that you had enjoyed your stay with us, and that the only poor issue experienced was the lack of parking in our car park. I am sorry for this, however there is ample parking available on the Tuesday Market for £1 between 6pm and 8am.

I hope this has not deterred you from returning to see us, as I am sure you will have another great stay.

Best regards

Reviewed 23 July 2014

We had a really good experience at this Legacy Hotel in King's Lynn, and have already started to recommend it to our friends and family. Having just trawled through lots of recent reviews, it becomes clear that not everyone is satisfied, but we are looking forward to our next visit. I guess we could find some minor niggles to moan about, but we would have to be really mean to do so, because the positives far outweigh anything of a negative nature.

We had forgotten the welcome cream tea available to us on arrival, but the hotel receptionist handed us our voucher, so we took advantage of the hospitality on offer. We were served with huge warm scones which tasted freshly cooked, and lashings of cream and small pots of jam. We were offered alcohol to go with them alongside a varied choice of tea or coffee. Couldn't have asked for more. We had previously booked our meal in the Turners Restaurant, and the reception team checked that we were happy with the time that we had reserved. Unlike one of the other recent reviewers, we were actually directed to the lift (so there is one after all!) and we found our way to the Penthouse suite to room 412. The room itself was clean - not the largest, but perfectly adequate - we enjoyed the room hospitality (usual hotel provision) free wifi enabled us to access e-mails etc. bathroom was spotlessly clean. There was external noise, so when we were ready to retire for the night, we closed the windows and the heavy curtains, and we heard very little through the night.

The evening meal in Turners was wonderful - lots of choices for first and main courses, high quality presentation, food cooked to our satisfaction and the wait for the dessert gave opportunity for the rest of our meal to be digested. We have stayed in lots of hotels, but I cannot recall having a hotel meal that came close to this one in terms of presentation, quality and enjoyment. The very smart waiting staff could not have been more professional or efficient. Well done team!

Arriving at breakfast, we were greeted by the very able AJ who showed us to our table. The restaurant was busy at 9 am, and the staff had their work cut out if they were to satisfy every customer. Every waitress was dressed smartly and moved swiftly to serve customers, whilst the kitchen staff were efficiently replenishing food stocks before it ran out. Great choice of food from traditional English or continental ... no complaints from this couple. Please thank the bar staff who served our welcome cream tea, the fantastic team who served our evening meal, and the lovely ladies who looked after us as we ate our breakfast.

Dear cdw26

Thank you so much for taking the time and trouble to write such a lovely review on Trip Advisor, I was delighted to read that you had thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us, and thank you also for recommending us to your friends and family.

Your comments regarding my team are very welcome and I will be sure to pass these on to them and praise them for looking after you so well.

Since your stay, Turners Restaurant has been awarded a rosette from the AA for the quality of food and service, which supports your comments regarding your dinner experience.

I hope to welcome you back soon and perhaps your friends and family too.

My very best wishes.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Stayed for two nights after booking with a Travelzoo deal. £155 for two nights in a Classic room.
Its exceptional value, when you consider you get a Bucks Fizz and English cream Tea on arrival, value £5.95 per person. First night you get a complimentary 3 course meal, £25 per person plus a bottle of complimentary house wine at £14.95 per bottle. Two breakfasts included at I think £9.95 per person. Thats £96.75 of value. Making the the 2 night stay only £60 ( £30 per night). I really don't know how they do it.
Our Room No.17 was spotlessly clean, very comfortable beds, and a lovely bathroom which was also immaculately maintained. The view from the windows was poor, looking out onto facing rooms, but that was not what we were here for. A wonderfully maintained wooden staircase led up to our room.
The restaurant was well laid out, clean and inviting. The maitre 'd' was attentive and all the staff very pleasant and smartly attired. The three course meal was unelievable. I love desserts but even I struggled to finish it, such was the quality and quantity of the portions served. The wine, we upgraded by paying the difference, and it was a superb accompaniment to our meal.
Breakfast in the smaller restaurant was a buffet style English or Continental breakfast and we were not disappointed. Really enjoyed that.
Due to lack of spaces in the car park we had to use the square in front of the hotel, but at a £1 from 6pm to 8am you could not complain. However it did mean topping up through the day if you remained on the square. But, do what we did. Take a trip out to Cromer and get back for 6pm and take advantage of the cheap overnight parking.
We could find nothing at all wrong with this hotel and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Also it is ideally situated for shopping as the High Street is no more than 100 yards to the left of the hotel front door.
We found all the staff to be pleasant and well presented. Would recommend this hotel and especially if you can bag a deal with Travelzoo or Groupon.

Dear BrianHHartlepool

Thank you so much for posting a glowing review on trip Advisor. I was so pleased to read that you had thoroughly enjoyed your stay and that you made use of our Travelzoo offer, which as you say is great value for money.

Since receiving your review, we have been awarded a rosette, from the AA, for our Turners Restaurant which supports your comments regarding our service and food.

I hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Stayed with friends on a 2 night Travelzoo break which included Bucks Fizz, afternoon tea, 3 course dinner on first night and breakfast on two mornings. Very good external and internal refurbishment. Small car park that seemed to have enough spaces for the main building only, not the annex, so parking in nearby car parks may be the only option. Everywhere inside was clean, tidy and well decorated. Courteous welcome but lacking a little cheer. Very well appointed Classic room overlooking side alley. Loud music from next door pub, but very quiet after about 10:30. Included 3 course dinner was excellent - extensive set menu. Service by cheerful and friendly staff was also very good. No AC in room and it was a hot first night, but open window gave some relief. Sadly, next door pub began emptying bottles into collection bin at 6 am and road sweeper appeared about 6:30 - not hotel's fault, but tourist board and hotel could liaise with traders and council to reduce these issues. Breakfast, including full English and continental was extensive and good. Again, very cheerful and friendly staff. Hotel cannot do anything which is outside of its control, but given that it is close to the town centre, travellers should be aware that noise and parking charges may be inevitable. Would consider staying again with the right deal.

Room Tip: Away from front market square and side alleys.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
David W, General Manager at The Dukes Head Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Dear Peter M

Thank you for posting a review of your stay on Trip Advisor. I was pleased to read that you had stayed with us on our Travelzoo deal and that you found it to be good value for money and that you found the hotels services and facilities to be good.

I was sorry to read that you had been disturbed by the neighbouring public house, which has been fine of late, however it will be mentioned to the appropriate authorities.

I hope that you will come and stay with us again soon.

Best regards

Reviewed 22 July 2014

On arrival we were over charged for our room, when we pointed this out there was no apology just a grumpy face, there was also loud music playing that we had not been informed of ... when we asked how long it may go on for we got a flippant answer.
After a freshen up we ventured to the restaurant to be told we should have booked a table, again something we were not informed of.
So we ended up ordering from the bar menu, that actually had a good selection of food but the food was cold when it arrived, by the time we could find someone one to deal with this it was to late ... again no apology.
We actually ended up going to reception twice as both times they got the bill wrong ... I think this is basic hospitality ... not what we had expected from a **** star hotel!!!
Under staffing makes this a bit of a joke to be honest ... and some staff really didn't seem to want to be there. WILL not stay again .. this is a shame as the rooms are comfortable and clean ... We had a room that looked out onto a lane that was used constantly as a cut through, not a problem with that pre-se just was lost of noise until late into the night.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear Diane E

I was sorry to read your comments on Trip Advisor, highlighting issues you experienced during your recent stay with us (which sound completely out of tune with our usual service standards), but would like to take this opportunity of apologising to you if this was the case.

Here at the Legacy Dukes Head Hotel, we work very hard to ensure that every guest is well looked after during their stay, and if any issues do occur, they are resolved and rectifies as quickly as possible, so again my apologies if this was not the case.

I hope that this has not deterred you from staying with us again as I am sure these were isolated incidents.

My very best wishes

#2 of 4 in Hunstanton
Heacham Manor Hotel
Heacham Manor Hotel
#1 of 1 in Heacham

Been to The Dukes Head Hotel? Share your experiences!