We stayed for a Saturday evening (9th Aug) to celebrate my wifes birthday and used a Travelzoo deal to get a lovely Classic room upgrade. The hotel and the room (No 17) are very well prsented and clean and comfortable. The bed was great and comfy and the bathroom was large and had nice shampoo and shower gel etc. Very Good.
The bucks fizz and cream tea scones on arrival were just the ticket after 2 hours of grid lock on the pitiful Norfolk A roads. We did however have to ask for the scones to go with our tea and bucks fizz as the waiter forgot to bring them.??
We really looked forward to our evening meal having heard a lot about the restaurant however I am afraid to report that we were really let down here and had to speak to the duty manager Andrew Rankin the following morning to explain. We had a table booked, by reception, for 8:15pm and when arrived were told that we were wrong and it was 8:45 but we were shown to a table in the corner anyway. We were then left for over 25minutes ignored by all the young staff who were working at 100mph although by no means was the place full. After such a long wait I found the oldest member of the young staff who I believe was the floor manager and had to ask him take our order. A further 10 mins later someone came to our table and brought a bottlee of tap water and took our order. We were offered a free drink for waiting but as the bottle of wine was included in our package anyway this was a pointless offer.
1st course and Main was served quickly and was really really good, however after a further 15mins of sitting looking at our empty plates we lost the will to have a sweet course and left our table with uncleared plates etc and just left the restaurant. None of the staff said any goodbyes, thank you's or even noticed us leaving. The couple who were sat next to us actually left before us not having a sweet course either. Real shame that the service was so bad not just beacuse it was meant to be our birthday celebration dinner but because the food and menu demands better service.
Our table was the wobbliest table ever also and we were told it could not be fixed as it was the top and not the legs that was broken??? Don't sit in the corner table.
There was a wedding on in the hotel and maybe the staff were stretched but we were not impressed and feel rather disappointed.
As I said earlier I did discuss this with a duty manager so hopefully things get put into place to deserve the alledged AA rosette award but it certainly wasn't presented on this night.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the heart of King's Lynn old town and overlooking the historic market place, the Duke's Head is perfect for discovering what Norfolk has to offer to the business and leisure traveller. Since Georgian times, this impressive classical building has welcomed visitors including Princess Victoria and Sir Robert Walpole (generally considered to be the first Prime Minister of Great Britain) in considerable comfort and style.Its location overlooking the ancient market place in the centre of King's Lynn would have denoted its importance in a town peppered with fine historic buildings. The Duke's Head is located walking distance away from King's Lynn station, nightlife, restaurants, bars and leisure club. Kings Lynn is serviced by regular trains to London and serves as an ideal location for discovering Norfolk. North Norfolk is an ideal tourist destination. Whether you enjoy the lively atmosphere and entertainment offered by traditional seaside resorts, the tranquility of the small fishing villages, which spring to life at high tide, you can't help but be impressed by the beautiful coastline and the fascinating history of its towns. The Hotel has recently benefited from a 3 million pound refurbishment. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Priceline, Ebookers, Superbreak UK, Traveltool, S.L.U., HRS, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Dukes Head Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Elizabeth Dukes Head Hotel
- Dukes Head Kings Lynn
- The Dukes Head Hotel UK/Norfolk