“Being too busy let it down”

The Dukes Head Hotel
Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in King's Lynn
Reviewed 27 August 2014

Had a great stay in this lovely hotel which is well located for the town centre. Had a great deal with travelzoo And the room was excellent well appointed comfortable clean with a great walk in shower. Unfortunately being bank holiday week end the hotel was full and the kitchens struggled a bit. We could only get a table late for the restaurant by the time we checked in and by this time as happens in many places some of what we wanted had run out.
Hey oh however what we did have was excellent well presented and very tasty. Breakfast was a bit of a mishap. We decided to have a bit of a lie in as did everybody else unfortunately everybody wanted breakfast at the same time so having tried to get breakfast at 945 we ended up getting our table at nearly 1030.
There was plenty of choice but when I went for my cooked breakfast the bacon and eggs had run out. As breakfast should have ended at 1030 I guess the chefs had moved on to lunch prep. But by the time I finished my breakfast up came the bacon and eggs. Also the pastries ran out and were not restocked. I understand it's difficult when busy. There is a free car park if you can get in otherwise there is a huge car park outside which is a pound from 6pm till 0800. The hotel is wheelchair accessible ( from the trades entrance I believe if you are unable to do two steps at the front). If I had realised this was a bank holiday when booking I would have avoided the date but not to worry. I must say the staff are extremely courteous professional and helpful and apologies were offered for the breakfast delay.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
David W, General Manager at The Dukes Head Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2014

Dear GB64

Thank you for posting a Review on Trip Advisor.

I was so pleased to read that you had enjoyed your stay with us and that you had made good use of our Travel Zoo offer. As you say the offer has been incredibly popular and as such we have sold out almost every night, however I am pleased to report that the majority of our guests have had a smooth stay.

I was sorry to read that you were delayed at breakfast, but as you say we have found that guests on our deals do not come for breakfast until around 9am therefore creating a huge demand at this popular time where as 7am to 8.30 am has been relatively quiet.

I sincerely hope that you will visit us again in the future.

Best wishes

Reviewed 26 August 2014

My husband and I have just come back from spending 2 night at this hotel on a Travel Zoo deal - we have a lovely time - the car park is a bit small but after waiting a while we did manage to get a space - the deal we got was very good value and on arrival a glass of bucks fizz and hot scone with jam and cream and tea, the room was small and to the side of the building - which was quite noisy when the window was open due to the extractor fan below which was turned off a midnight and then came back on a 6.30/7 o'clock - room is fine if you don't require window open - the room was newly refurbished so nice and clean - another down side for us was the bed was small and the mattress was too soft and only one pillow each - and toilet paper was a bit hard - room was very clean. Breakfast was buffet which was ok - we had a 3 course evening meal booked with our deal with wine - this meal was absolutely fantastic - there was so much choice it was hard to pick - but what we both had was excellent standard and presented lovely - the restaurant staff were also very polite and helpful - we would definitely go back there to the restaurant when visiting the area - bar area is very nice with lots of large sofas and music in the background

Dear Traveller8888850

Thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor.

I was delighted to read that on the whole you had enjoyed your stay, and that you found the food and the staff to very good.

My sincerest apologies that the extractor fan disturbed your sleep, I have since spoken with the chef to ensure this is switched off after dinner service.

I hope you will come and stay with us again in the not too distant future.

Kind regards

Reviewed 26 August 2014

The hotel is undergoing an extensive renovation at present and consequently there are deals available. The old hotel facade is impressive in its new Wedgwood livery and looks out onto a lovely square, one of the best spots in King's Lynn, the heart of which still reflects its Hanseatic League heritage. The view from the rear is less salubrious and the rooms would benefit from double glazing, air conditioning and mini-bars. Ours had no bath, not a problem for me, but some people prefer. Shame about the shops, which for the most part mirror those in every other town in England. Pity too about the traffic system which is Byzantine (without Istanbul's charm). Still once you get out of the town centre, you are swiflty transported into the glorious Norfolk countryside, with its big sky and ozone breezes. Catering was solid and generous, service for the most part excellent. Very pleased overall with our stay and would definitely consider again, now that I know the way.

Room Tip: If you want quiet, a/s, drinks or a bath, ask accordingly.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
David W, General Manager at The Dukes Head Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2014

Dear AndyP335

Thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor. I was glad to read that you had enjoyed your stay and that you would consider returning.

Just for clarification, we have no renovation going on at the moment only repairs to the exterior of our large stairwell windows at the side of the building which are being re sealed, the extensive renovation was all completed last year after a £3m investment.

Kindest regards

Reviewed 25 August 2014

My wife and I recently spent a two-night break (through Groupon) at this hotel so could visit National Trust and English Heritage properties on the way there and back and while we stayed, The room was fine, staff friendly and the food excellent with an outstanding amount of choice and quality for dinner. There was even an included bonus of a large PIMMs and strawberries on arrival. The only tiny negatives were an inadequate car park for the size of hotel (although overnight parking in nearby council location was very cheap) and the breakfast room could not accommodate everyone at peak times requiring a wait of up to 15 minutes for a table. Having said that, this was an excellent and extremely good value stay - at the deal we had, they can be doing no more than covering cost!

1  Thank ngpsmith

Dear ngpsmith

Thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor.

I was pleased to read that you had enjoyed your stay with us even if there was a bit of a wait for breakfast. As you can imagine our Groupon offer has been very popular indeed and due to this we have been very busy both at breakfast and dinner time with over a 100 dining each time.

As you say, overnight parking is available at the front of the hotel on the Tuesday Market Place for only £1 overnight, however tickets must be replaced at 8am.

I hope that you will come and stay with us again where I am sure you will have a lovely time.

Kind regards

Reviewed 25 August 2014

We stayed here for two nights and it was wonderful. We had a nice room, very clean.
The staff are extremely helpful in particular the breakfast ladies. The restaurant food was amazing. It is in a good central location in the town and near the bus depot where we got on the coast hopper bus to Hunstanton for the day. Don't hesitate on booking.

Room Tip: If you stay on a Saturday ask for a room away from the pub next door which has music on Saturdays.

Dear 13paula25

Thank you for posting a great review on Trip Advisor.

I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed your stay with us and that you found everything to your liking.

I hope to welcome you back again soon.

Best wishes

Reviewed 25 August 2014

We stayed here with use of a groupon voucher, the photos caught my eye and thought it was worth a go despite never using groupon for hotel breaks before,
The hotel was well appointed, had a cosy feel and definitely seemed upmarket, however the room was fairly travelodge-ish, it was nice enough but as is the problem with all those generic hotel chains, no 'soul'.
Had a drink in the bar/lounge area, no smoking area though so your forced to stand outside the front of the hotel in the market car park (pay and display, there is a carpark at the rear of the hotel a 2 minute drive away round the houses but you have to have a code to enter and exit, to which you need to check in first and then go and repark, a bit of an annoyance)
The dining room had an inviting feel, the service was good, the food incredible, within the groupon deal it included a menu but we deviated from this at additional cost for a nicer choice of food and wine, however a plus point is rather than paying full price for additional/alternative meal choices they substituted the value of the groupon food menu, which considering most places wouldn't do this, was a surprising plus.
Back to the room, it overlooked a small access lane and some housing so best keep the curtains closed, the bed was plush but quite noisy, if you catch my drift, with special focus to the headboard.
Breakfast was buffet style, however they accommodated, if in somewhat of a leisurely manner, the fresh cooking of some eggs. this is served in a purpose built breakfast room, it felt canteen like and the staff struggled to keep it clean despite the minimal guest numbers.
Overall I would reserve recommendation of this hotel to those who infrequently travel, if this is to be a special occasion I would look elsewhere, however for those of you, who like us, travel often it was better than average, but one of those hotels which frustrated you somewhat as it had the potential to be outstanding.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Jay19892013

Thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor.

I was sorry to read that there were areas of the hotel that you were dissatisfied with during your stay, especially your bedroom. From your review I see that you were accommodated in one of our standard rooms which offer all the facilities that you would expect in a 4 star hotel, however for a small fee you could have upgraded to one of our Classic or Feature rooms which are located in the old part of the building overlooking the historic market place and are all differently furnished and appointed.

As for the car park, you only need a code to exit, which makes it easy for guests to arrive and park and therefore you only need a code when you depart.

Breakfast has become quite busy around 9am lately, so a good time to come along would be between 7am and 8,30am.

I think that our Groupon deal of dinner, bed, breakfast, Strawberries and Pimms with a bottle of wine all for 2 guests at £99.00 is exceptional value for money and I am sorry that you felt that it was only better than average.

Best regards

Reviewed 24 August 2014

This is an excelkent hotel, staff are amazing so helpful and friendly, cannot do enough for you, the food is fantastic one of the best we have tasted, we have stayed in alot of 5 star hotels throuout the world and this is not far behind any superior hotel. Our room was not to our standard and the happily moved us with the help of the duty manger, whom I think must live there as always available. Beckie took the booking and kirsty checked us in both great. Staff at breakfast and evening meal where truly amazingly, please try this hotel even on a deal as amazing service. We cannot praise this hotel and staff enough, will definitely be back, thanks for a brilliant stay.

Room Tip: Room 8 standard room but lovely, classics all booked, try and book as extra room space.
1  Thank Tracytp1

Dear Tracytp1

Thank you for posting a lovely review of your stay with us on Trip Advisor, I was pleased to read that you thought the hotel, its food and staff were of a high standard and that you had thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

My very best wishes

#1 of 1 in Heacham
Le Strange Arms Hotel
Le Strange Arms Hotel
#2 of 4 in Hunstanton

Been to The Dukes Head Hotel? Share your experiences!