“A loveky weekend”

The Dukes Head Hotel
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in King's Lynn
Reviewed 2 September 2014

I stayed here with my husband, my two daughters and their husbands and my grand daughter. We had a lovely time. The staff could not have been more helpful and knowledgeable of the area. The food was excellent with a good choice of menu, the children's menu was good but rather large portions.
We up graded our room so overlooked the square at the front of the hotel, it was a large room with tea/coffee making facilities
I think there were two downsides for this hotel-the car park was very small so if you did not get a space you had to pay for over night parking at a public car park, there was no discount for hotel users. Secondly breakfast was abit of a squeeze there was not enough tables or staff. As we were a group of seven, we had to have abit of a wait for a table.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank teresa s
David W, General Manager at The Dukes Head Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2014

Dear Teresa s

Thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor, I was pleased to read that you and your family u had enjoyed your stay with us even though there was a delay at breakfast.

As a previous reviewer has noted, our car park is on a first come first serve basis, however there are a few council car parks around us at reasonable prices.

I hope that you will stay with us again the next time you visit Kings Lynn.

Reviewed 2 September 2014

We visited here with friends on a voucher deal which included cream tea. This was fine but one of the party is an insulin dependent diabetic and ordered a sandwich at the sametime that we ordered our tea. 45 minutes later we had eaten and the sandwich had not arrived but which time her need for food was desperate. We constantly chased this order up and in the end they gave her bisuits until it arrived and then it was delivered by a very rude waitress. Again later in the afternoon we ordered drinks plus a coffee and had to wait over 25 minutes for the coffee which only appeared when chased up yet again. At dinner both the food and service were excellent but then again in the morning we had to wait nearly an hour for a table even though we had said we would sit separately. Such a shame that this happened as everything else was excellent. Think they must have sold too many deals and not employed the extra staff.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank RelaxerEssex

Dear RelaxEressex

Thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor, I was pleased to read that on the whole you had enjoyed your stay with us, but please accept my sincerest apologies that service was not of our usual high standard in the lounge and that you had to wait a long time for a table at breakfast.

As you say, we have been inundated by our Travelzoo and Groupon offers, and have on some days been overwhelmed by the sheer number of guests, but have in the main managed the numbers well, I can only apologise if this affected your visit.

I sincerely hope that this will not deter you from staying with us again in the not too distant future where I am sure you will experience the hotel in a completely different light.

Reviewed 1 September 2014

We had an excellent value deal for this hotel, the staff food and service were all first class,
so much so we booked again taking our 3 year old grandson. We had just as good a time the second time around, the staff were very good with said 3 year old making sure his food was just how he liked it.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Dear Karmel03

Thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor, I was pleased to read that you had chosen to stay with us again for a second time and this time with your 3 year old grandson, and that you had enjoyed your stay with us.

Thank you also for your kind comments regarding my staff who will also be delighted to receive them.

I hope to welcome you back for a third time in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 1 September 2014

We purchased the Travel Zoo deal and had a really lovely stay for 2 nights in Kings Lynn, which is a town filled with history and lots of fascinating places to explore.

The hotel is very old, sitting in a town square, opposite the Corn Exchange, both of which were floodlight at night. They looked very grand and imposing.

The hotel has retained its original character, despite a recent refurb. It feels elegant and spacious downstairs with comfortable sitting areas in the lounge and bar, with that feeling of luxury and comfort. Lots of comfortable chairs and deep chesterfield settees with huge portraits adorning the walls. The perfect setting for the sumptious cream tea and welcome Bucks Fizz.

The bedrooms were not that big, but were comfortable, newly furnished and spotless, cleaned every day. Very comfortable beds, lovely bathroom with shower and it was nice and quiet.

The food in the restaurant was first class, the house wine was lovely, the steak cooked to perfection and the staff could not have been nicer or more helpful, they really are a credit to the hotel. The breakfast was also very good with a wide choice, including a cooked full english breakfast. Everything was piping hot and plenty of staff were around to look after your every need.

I felt very relaxed there and well looked after. The staff were so friendly and helpful. It was a very unexpected pleasure and I would recommend the hotel to anyone.

Only downside was the very tiny car park for a hotel that size and the long walk down a lane to the front of the hotel with the cases. Once you were there however, it was worth it.

Room Tip: If you want a bit more space it would be worth upgrading.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lesley N

Dear Lesley N

Thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor, I was pleased to read that you had made use of our Travelzoo offer and that you had enjoyed your stay with us.

Your comments regarding the food and staff are very welcome indeed and I will be sure to pass these on to them who will be delighted to receive them.

I hope that you will stay with us again the next time you visit Kings Lynn.

Reviewed 1 September 2014

yes what can one say about this hotel it's all ready been said by previous reviews good location for visiting other areas /towns close to Kings Lynn town centre if you like shopping
good food brilliant staff who went out of their way to ensure that your stay at this hotel was enjoyable even down to having your morning bacon well done (cheers for that) so what more can be said to add to other reviews keep up the standards because l will be returning good hotel

Room Tip: not sure really but we up graded our room and its was very good
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tony1976130

Dear tony1976130

Thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor, I was pleased to read that you had enjoyed your stay with us, and that you found the food and the staff to be brilliant.

I also hope that you will stay with us again the next time you visit Kings Lynn.

Reviewed 1 September 2014

Had a great time here on a two day groupon bed breakfast and evening meal,
The hotel is situated right in the town center so is great for shopping, the room was clean and tidy with a great comfy king size bed.
The hotel is fronted by the original building with a newer built 4 storey connected building at the rear.
We had a 3 course meal included with our purchase and I must say the food and the service was excellent,
Breakfast was buffet style with all the usual food items and was very good.
I would recommend this hotel very highly

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GWEDGE

Dear GWEDGE

Thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor, I was pleased to read that you had made use of our Groupon offer and that you had enjoyed your stay with us.

Thank you also for your kind comments regarding the food and my staff, and I will be sure to pass these on to them.

I hope that you will stay with us again the next time you visit Kings Lynn where I am sure you will have an equally enjoyable time.

Reviewed 1 September 2014

We bought a voucher for this hotel as we wanted to go to Norfolk we had afternoon tea with Buck's Fizz and tea or coffee. The scones were homemade and delicious . We then had an evening meal in the restaurant which was very tasty, well presented and plenty of choice. We then had drinks in the bar. The room was spacious and clean. The breakfast was unbelievable so much choice and freshly cooked. You could have as much as you wanted. The hotel is in the market square in the middle of the town so handy for a walk around the shops. Kings Lynn is central for North Norfolk and plenty places to visit - sanderingham Norfolk lavender and the best was wells next to sea. I will definitely be going back.

Room Tip: All rooms good but market square ones are better view
  • Stayed: September 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Patricia C

Dear Patricia C

I was especially pleased to read your comments regarding your evening meal and breakfast and as you say all freshly cooked and plenty of it.

Also consider these accommodations in or near King's Lynn
#7 of 15 in King's Lynn
Heacham Manor Hotel
Heacham Manor Hotel
#1 of 1 in Heacham

Been to The Dukes Head Hotel? Share your experiences!