“Great little hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #13 of 15 Hotels in King's Lynn
Basildon, United Kingdom
“Great little hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2012

I stayed at the Tudor Rose along with 3 close friends while travelling across the country. I thought it was a lovely little place, the beds were comfy especially the duvet. The room had a tv with all the freeview channels, which were fine to watch before we headed out, the tv making facility was also nice when getting in late at night.

The owners young son was very helpful, told us where to go and is full of great anecdotes behind the bar. He even walked us to a cafe on the saturday morning as we were unsure where we were going, and gave us a tour of the historic building on the way in.

Great value, great place, great staff. Will go again.

Room Tip: Choose the haunted room 7 ;)
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Conor B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Bromsgrove, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2012

My first review, and of a place I stayed in exactly a year ago, and still feel that travellers should be warned to stay away. If I hadn't already tried various other hotels and bed and breakfasts I would have done too, because the room was more than I wanted to pay. I'm used to staying in budget accommodation - I'd rather spend more on meals out and visiting places rather than on the place I sleep, but usually you are pleasantly surprised by the quality, cleanliness and friendliness of staff in even cheaper bed and breakfasts, it's usually an indication that the rooms might want updating or the bathrooms are squeezed in rather than being luxurious.

Not so the Tudor Rose. I'd agree with most of the other reviewers - the bedding was clean but the room hadn't had a good clean for a while - the lamp was broken and furniture a mish-mash of cheap outdated pieces probably bought second hand - I could have lived with that, but the service was the rudest I'd ever come across anywhere, and breakfast the piece de la resistance of poor service. Since most other reviewers fled without experiencing it, I'll elaborate.

I'd been told that breakfast was served until 9am - it was a weekday, but I was on a mini-holiday enjoying Norfolk, so didn't want to get up too early. At 8.45am, I got a bang on my door and a voice shouted 'Do you want breakfast?' I said yes, but I was told they were serving until 9am, to which the reply was 'Well it's nearly 9". I made my way to the breakfast room which was gloomy and unclean with no effort having been made in setting out the breakfast table place. The young woman (owner of the voice outside my door, I think) dressed in jeans, trainers and looking generally scruffy/pissed off then asked if I wanted a cooked breakfast, I said yes, and could I have coffee? She asked if I took sugar (there was none on the table) and I said yes. There wasn't much of a selection of cereals/juices anything else - I wasn't offered toast, but think I had a glass of orange juice while I waited. She came back in with coffee - I asked for some sugar - she said 'I've already put it in' and sure enough my mug of instant coffee had about two/three spoons of sugar in (she hadn't asked how many I took). Following a couple of pings of a microwave she returned with a cooked breakfast - clearly cooked and plated about an hour previously and then microwaved - judging by the ring round the edge of the baked beans. I tried the sausage (cheap) and a couple of other bits, then decided after considering the state of the rest of the place, I really couldn't face it, retreated to my room, packed and escaped.

It really did feel like it was a hostel for people being housed by the DWP (former DSS) or it might suit a gang of contractors who need a cheap place to stay in the centre and are not bothered about quality - but if so, it should be charging a lot less. I stayed in a lovely Bed and Breakfast elsewhere in King's Lynn for a lot less three nights before and had a great breakfast. I hope it has improved (I stayed Oct 2011) because it only takes one poor experience to put off a visitor to the town - which is an absolute gem and I'd have spent longer in, if I could have found some more reasonable budget B&Bs/hotels.

Tudor Rose, it's time you pulled your finger out and stopped doing the town a disservice.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Simon_R_L_Carter

Travellers are raving about these King's Lynn hotels

Reading, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2012

My wife and I stayed for a weekend recently, and we found the hotel to be informal and friendly, very good value for money. It is ideally located in the centre, the car park is directly opposite and at £1 per night it's hardly expensive. Service was friendly, the breakfast was very good. I read other negative reviews here and all I can say is that I am glad I ignored them.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Phil G
Twyford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2011

I ended up at the Tudor Rose after running away from MJB apartments. It was the nearest hotel to where I was meant to be staying and I got a single room for £48 including breakfast. As single rooms go it wasn't too bad - quite homely, not horrendously small, a bit frayed around the edges but fine for one night. The mattress on the single bed was very cheap - I could feel all the coils and I'm no princess - and the shower was rubbish - took ages to get hot water and then an unenthusiasic dribble. However, I was surprised to see tea and coffee facilities and a small flat screen TV. I stayed there Friday night in September and it was pretty quiet during the night despite being so close to town. I had a full English the next day which was good, as was the setting, a large tudor beamed room with lots of character. The hotel is old and historic and could do with a massive investment, but I rather enjoyed my stay and it was good value for money. My friends told me later that it's one of the most haunted places in Norfolk but unfortunately nothing spooked me there..

Room Tip: I was given a choice of rooms and reception were happy for me to inspect them before making up my mi...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
SOUTHAMPTON
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2011

First, the positives. The location is very good, in between St Nicholas ' church and the Tuesday Market Place, the latter being one of the most impressive open town squares in Britain. The hotel is adjacent to a large car-park and some onstreet parking by the church which is free for 30 minutes with no return within 30 minutes, but with no restrictions on Sundays. On the car park youi can park all night for a pound, but have to go out at 8 a.m. to pay the hourly rate. The hotel has a beautiful beamed breakfast room and a charming waitress, who also doubles as housekeeper, but who,unusually for a hotel, asked if we would like our room serviced and the bed made after our first night's stay! The towels and bathroom generally were fine, though the toiletries lacked shampoo sachets to match the shower- gel ones provided.Other members of staff we met did not aspire to show charm or even a smile ; male staff both young and old were quite glum / taciturn / off-hand. Our room had a carpet which needed cleaning or better still, replacing, pillows of the very flimsiest kind it would be possible to find, and a TV which had radio channels but very few TV channels, not even ITV 1. Other travellers might be given a better room, but for us,even at the low-priced tariff for a hotel, staying a couple of nights was enough.

Room Tip: Ask for an upstairs room and avoid ground floor rooms 1 and 2.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank obsSouthampton
Manchester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2010

I and My friend were stuck with a place to stay for the night so we tried the Tudor Rose. The hotel seemed family run and the staffs were very friendly. The building from the outside was beautiful, inside it was old but clean none the less. Our room which was a twin was spacious and although basic i.e. no sky TV it was defiantly well worth the money we paid, which wasn't very much considering my student loans! I and my mate went to seek the nightlife of kings Lynn and even the owner’s son joined us for a couple and the local Chicago’s rock cafe. In the morning bleary eyed the fry up was just what we needed to lifted our spirits. The orange juice also went down a treat. Overall a very easy and relaxing stay, very convenient for the town centre.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank Studentman
Bedford
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2010

that this is the most basic of hotels. Yes its cheap, but so is premier inn on the edge of town. I booked this on behalf of myself and 7 other golfers as a place to crash for two nights in the town centre. Yes they gave me a hard time about it!! The hotel has a slightly strange smell downstairs. The bed sheets were clean (other wise we would have walked), the bathrooms are rubbish. All 4 rooms we had, had poor or unuseable showers. The only other guest was staying courtesy of the DSS! Would I go back? Sorry but no.

• Stayed April 2010