“Hell On Earth!!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #13 of 15 Hotels in King's Lynn
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Hell On Earth!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2009

This hotel is by far the worst that i have ever had the plesure of stopping in........Ive stopped in far better hostels in Amsterdam!! Dont let the good review before me fool you, the owner is in my words a "crafty cockney" and by the poster before coming from Essex they are properly related and have put up a false review. Let me begin:-
I stopped at this hotel as i was in Kings Lynn on business and it was booked by my company for 2 nights.
The hotel says it is a 2 star but in my eyes i wouldnt even give it a 1.
I was by myself and booked into a single room - room 6, on entering the hotel there was nobody at all at reception and after 5 minutes of wondering around the hotel trying to look for somebody i finally found the owners young son sat on his bum busy watching star wars on the lounge tv. After finally being able to check in and entering my room i noticed it had the smell of mould and found that my ground floor bedroom was right next to the beer garden/courtyard and that a carling pint glass from the bar was in the bathroom for me to be able to drink out of!!
I decided to take a shower and as i did i noticed that the water strangely seemed to be building up around my feet, this in turn backed the saniflo toilet up. After drying (in my own towel) i noticed the water had drained away and left the shower caked in hair and fluff from what i can only guess as never being cleaned out in the last year!! From the constant noise of the toilet pump backing up and the the extractor fan sounding like a chinook helicopter about to take off i decided to complain. The young lad at reception after prising him away from his beloved star wars film yet again, said he would get his father to look at it as i went out for dinner - as the hotel did not do food.
After returning i met the owner who said he had fixed the toilet as "somebody had put hair in the plug hole" (YEAH OK!!!) and it was making the toilet pump back up. The extractor fan - i was advised not to turn the light on when i went toilet as it was a bit loud and had a habit of taking a taking a eternity to turn off. When i went back to my room the towel i had left to dry over the wardrobe door had been stained with a line of dust from the top (WHICH SOMEBODY HAD PUT THERE). I lay down on the bed which i found was broken and leaned to one side, nearly giving me motion sickness all night. There was people outside my window in the beer garden/courtyard till 2am using it as somewhere to smoke, which in turn with the 2 inch gap on the the bottom of the bedroom door caused the hallway light to beam through like a lighthouse beacon all night letting me have no sleep at all.
I managed to make it till 6am and daylight where i decided to dump the key at reception and get the hell out the hotel without even daring to see what breakfast could be like.
On phoning the hotel later that morning to say i would not be stopping another night and would like a refund for that night i was greeted with no hope in hell, all bookings was non refundable!! I was accused of putting the hair in the plug hole myself, that the bed was not broken and was brand new and that it was the first time ever somebody had complained about that room being next to the beer garden/courtyard with problems of disturbance.
I was accused of being a trouble maker and must of disliked the management in order for me wanting to get my money back.
The hotel is a joke. If anybody decides to visit it, take a look around it first its so dated it looks like its falling down, the laughable fire alarm system trails all around the hotel in unsightly red cable nailed to the ceiling and walls everywhere with it being drilled into each room and out again!!
I am including a photo of the hair in the plug hole.

GO THERE AT YOUR PERIAL

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
3 Thank Sell44

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
essex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2009

I heared that the owners had only just been taken oven about a year or so... They seemed very pleasent and they also said there had been vast improvements since they have taken over. The owner seemed very pleasent and welcoming and is a true warming person. We sat down had a good drink and a chat. The rooms were clean and rather comfortable and the front bar was a great place to relax. Overall i think this is an ideal place to stay and its is right next to the heart of the city.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank samthegooner
Cotswolds
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2008

The Tudor Rose was when I stayed there in 2002 and the owners were very pleasent. food and rooms clean and tidy.

However one needs to be wary of the noises at night. If you here children laughing and running on the stairs, do not be alarmed they are my ancestors children who died of the plague. The old man in the Elizabethan bar who stands in the corner he is not small he is on the steps of the old cellar ,his name is Henry. The Lady who comes down the stairs from the restaurant is Malcolm Clarke's first wife Sarah nee' Leach. If you have the downstairs room on the corner of the hotel, I will say no more.

But there again my ancestors had an interesting history and built a handsome property in keeping with thier position in Lynn. You can see their monument in St Nicholas Church. I like the house that is now the Tudor Rose.

John Clarke

• Liked — Convenience to the area
  • Disliked — Street noise
  • Stayed April 2003
1 Thank Rycart
Windsor, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2008

One of the worst places I have ever stayed. An opinion shared by every member of our party. The place stunk to high heaven, rooms and furniture couldn't be anymore dated without being regarded as antique and as for the food....
Looks great from the outside. Building oozes character and potential, but needs a major overhaul. Don't stay here until it gets one!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The smell
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank sheepdoggydog

Travellers are raving about these King's Lynn hotels

london
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2007

The hotel which is situated in the heart of kings lynn is a beautiful old building. The family that runs the hotel are friendly and me and my wife had a great night at the bar. The rooms are old fashioned but cosy and as we were there were being improved. Parking was easy and breakfast was good enough. The hotel which is under new ownership ,we are told ,also had a restuarant starting, which provided us with good home cooked meals and reasonable prices. The hotel may have its faults but as soon as we alerted the owners they corrected them as quick as they could.

• Liked — the friendly atmosphere
  • Disliked — the busy road outside
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank hotelwizard
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2007

The property looks very good on the outside but what lies within is the problem. Our room was dirty and unappealing and the staff were supercilious. There was broken glass on the floor in the bathroom in a corner which was obviously too difficult to get to unless one tried. The hotel appeared to be run by two teenagers. It was noisy outside (not the hotel's fault) but we were woken yet again at about 3.00 am by an argument in the adjacent room between, I think, the Hotel Manager and a resident, the f...ing and blinding went on for about 20 minutes. Breakfast was a delight, not. After finding our way upstairs to the dining room (we were not told where to go, nor was it written anywhere) we were confronted by a number of unlaid wooden tables in poor repair, the varnish of which had worn through. Cereals were in two boxes as one might have at home, opened originally who knows when. We searched through the majority of saucerless cups until we found two that didn't have a ring on the inside so we could have some coffee. The cooked part of the breakfast was palatable at least but we did have some concern that we might pick-up something infectious from the table and surroundings so were careful what we touched. Avoid this place at all costs. The owner is presumably oblivious to what goes on there. He could expand his business if he had some trained staff, cleaned-up somewhat and did a bit of re-decoration.

Stayed July 2007
1 Thank ixionLondon
kent
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2007

I recently visited Kings Lynn on business and stayed at the tudor rose, great breakfast and friendly staff, rooms were slightly old fashioned but clean and comfortable.

We thought it was a bargain and the new owner a real gent. Lovely courtyard to the rear which adds to its charm.

Stayed May 2007