“Don't go on a Friday night!”

Farmers Arms Restaurant
Ranked #105 of 200 Restaurants in King's Lynn
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 18 May 2014

We were in the area for a week and this restaurant was close to where we were staying. We went first on Tuesday night. The place was almost empty but the service was very slow. My husband had a pork dish which he quite enjoyed and I had mushroom stroganoff which was all right. However, my husband (who has coeliac disease) was delighted to find a gluten free cheesecake on the dessert menu. It was the first cheesecake he'd been able to eat since being diagnosed 12 years ago! That, combined with the fact that we were given a 50% off voucher for our next meal, made us decide to go again.

We booked on Friday morning for Friday evening. The only times available were 7.15 and 8.30. We chose 7.15 and arrived on time. We were shown to a table at the far end of the restaurant, by the window, which was quite pleasant. We ordered, got our drinks quite quickly - and then waited for FIFTY MINUTES for our meal to arrive. I had ordered a vegetarian option described as crispy potato skins topped with roasted vegetables and cheese. I turned out to be a baked potato with a few bits of onion and pepper and some cheese. My husband had ordered lamb, which was overcooked. The waitress had disappeared so there was no one to complain to - and we didn't fancy waiting while his dish was changed, so he ate it.

Eventually the waitress returned and asked if everything was all right - a bit late, because by then we'd finished eating. We asked her for the dessert menu - and waited some more. A waiter then came over and asked if we'd like the dessert menu. When we got it, we told him to stay put while we decided what to have. My husband had the cheesecake again, but I chose something called 'lumpy bumpy' - a concoction of sponge and cream with a toffee flavouring. It sounded very nice - in fact it was so sweet that it was inedible. If we hadn't had the half price voucher, I should have been very annoyed indeed. As it was, it was a poor meal, but it was cheap. The waiters and waitresses all looked to be teenagers and we wondered whether they were on work experience. There didn't seem to be anyone in charge of them.

If you're desperate for a gluten-free cheesecake, give it a go. Otherwise, find somewhere else!

Reviewed 11 May 2014

Went here last night for a meal.(11/05/14) It was 9pm when we arrived. There were 4 staff on the bar as you walk through the main entrance that leads to bars and restaurant. Not one of them spoke to us because they were far too busy larking around and chatting to each other. There was a hand scrawled notice on the door that leads to the restaurant saying that it was fully booked this evening. Having just walked past from the car park, noting all empty tables bar one that contained 10 diners, we thought this must be a mistake, so interrupted the bar staff's chat to enquire if it really was fully booked. We were assured it was indeed. Disappointed, we turned to leave but my hubby decided to use the loo before we headed off to find somewhere else to eat. I walked back to the car but my hubby called me back saying that he'd seen a huge bar to the right of the lazy staff that was serving food. Erm.. WHY HAD NO ONE ON THE RECEPTION BAR MENTIONED THIS WHEN WE HAD ASKED ABOUT A TABLE IN THE RESTAURANT???? Wouldn't normal people say, "Yes, I'm sorry the restaurant is unavailable but we do serve food in the bar."? They obviously feel very secure in their jobs if they think they can turn custom away like this. It was hardly busy with less than 50% of the tables occupied with diners in the bar and only one table of diners in the restaurant. Anyway, we were hungry and not knowing the area didn't know where else to go so decided to stay.

The tables were very grimy and sticky and in need of a thorough clean. The menu was run of the mill stuff and when the food arrived it was luke warm. I had these things called 'Farmer's Wellies' which turned out to be nothing more jacket potatoes filled with smoked fish. They had obviously been re-heated in a microwave but not enough to make them hot. We will make sure we don't go there again next time we visit Norfolk -that's if it hasn't gone bankrupt in the meantime.

Reviewed 20 April 2014

Although food was good we waited far too long for our order to be served. Dessert menu wasn't forthcoming even though we asked for it when our table was cleared. The fastest thing about the service was the delivery of the bill. No sooner did we ask for it and it was on the table. Extremely disappointing

Reviewed 20 April 2014

lovely lunch at the farmers arms with my family, Polite and friendly sevice by Katie and Brittany, Food excellent thanks to the chef Carl. I would go again and recommend.
Mrs Mayes

Reviewed 20 February 2014

As always the carvery was extremely good, pork and turkey on this occasion, the pork was very tasty and melted in the mouth. A good selection of vegetables and all really flavoursome. The carvery is available every day at lunchtime, along with a varied menu. Service is always very friendly and helpful, and the staff couldn't be nicer.
Excellent value for money, even better if you have a half-price voucher from the local paper.