“Lovely village and fantastic building”
Review of Black Horse Pub & Restaurant - CLOSED

Black Horse Pub & Restaurant
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 29 July 2013

The black horse is situated in a beautiful village next to the church. It is a large, grand building although a little tired looking. We ate in the restaurants and the food was really nice and plenty of it, if a little ordinary.

There were 3 or 4 other tables occupied but soon we were the only ones there, consequently it was lacking in atmosphere. The service was good and the prices about what you would expect. A large choice of desserts all priced at £4.75 which seemed a bit much for the small portion we were served.

Would not recommend this for a special occasion but if you fancy a nice drive to a scenic setting for a bit to eat go for it.

Reviewed 23 July 2013

We spent my 40th birthday at the black horse and I must say the food And service were exceptional. Our every need was catered for, the staff went above and beyond to make our visit special. I would recommend the black horse to anyone looking for an enjoyable evening and meal in a beautiful setting.

Reviewed 6 April 2013

Ordinary is the best that can be said for this unadventurous fare - which is a shame, because there is a place for good pub grub that isn't gastro. But I do expect there to be at least one alternative to packets of mayonnaise or salad cream to go with a salad, I don't expect my whitebait to be enclosed in so much batter that all taste of fish is lost (ditto the scampi), I'd like some nice freshly cooked chips (as opposed to the rather undercooked ones I got) with my £9.00 main course, and some black pepper wouldn't go amiss either.

One very positive note - lots of fresh vegetables came with the mains, we were all very impressed with that. But the presentation of some of the dishes left a lot to be desired, and the service was less than attentative. All in all, I can think of several establishements in West Norfolk I'd rather go to.

Reviewed 4 April 2013

The Black Horse looked like the ideal place for a late lunch for three generations on a cold Easter holiday afternoon. It was quiet and therefore lacking in atmosphere (I imagine it's busy on a summer Sunday lunchtime), the staff were friendly enough and the food looked good/ was nicely presented but was a bit lacking in taste. The Black Horse was a bit tatty too. Maybe I am being harsh and i think maybe we just hit it on the wrong day/ time but we wont be rushing back.

Reviewed 24 January 2013

We nearly always walk to this pub if we are camping at the Sandringham Caravan and Camping Club for a few pints and something to eat.

It's a lovely old pub situated in the village of Castle Rising, the food is brilliant and the selection of ales is good, they even have Aspels cider on tap of which I do not mind paying a premium for!

1  Thank Pumba1066