“Good Honest Fayre”

Dining options: Reservations
Harlow
“Good Honest Fayre”
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Decent food in a decent and homely pub. I was able to sit next to a warm cosy fire in a quiet but pleasant atmosphere and enjoy good food that was served quickly from the time of my order to its appearance at the table. It was hot, filling and reasonably priced. I did not leave feeling disappointed with anything which just about sums everything up.
My wife was equally happy with our visit and we would happily go there again when in that area.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Viva196868

Hunstanton, United Kingdom
“Black Swan Sunday Lunch”
Reviewed 11 October 2013

I live fairly locally but dont really do sunday lunch. I have tried a couple of places with a friend and thought I would give the Black Swan a go. Could not have been happier. Excellent roast and quality trimmings and the sweets board gave lots of choice. We went for the lemon and lime cheesecake and it was to die for. The service was excellent, nothing was too much trouble and the place was spotless, including the true test, the toilets. Very reasonable in cost too. There was a bonus on the day of sitting outside afterwards with a coffee, beautiful sunny day taking in the picture perfect surroundings. Definately be going back there and would heartily recommend.
Jan Garrett

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Jan G
Norfolk UK
“Lovely village and fantastic building”
Reviewed 29 July 2013

The black horse is situated in a beautiful village next to the church. It is a large, grand building although a little tired looking. We ate in the restaurants and the food was really nice and plenty of it, if a little ordinary.

There were 3 or 4 other tables occupied but soon we were the only ones there, consequently it was lacking in atmosphere. The service was good and the prices about what you would expect. A large choice of desserts all priced at £4.75 which seemed a bit much for the small portion we were served.

Would not recommend this for a special occasion but if you fancy a nice drive to a scenic setting for a bit to eat go for it.

• Visited July 2013
“We had an amazing time at the black horse”
Reviewed 23 July 2013

We spent my 40th birthday at the black horse and I must say the food And service were exceptional. Our every need was catered for, the staff went above and beyond to make our visit special. I would recommend the black horse to anyone looking for an enjoyable evening and meal in a beautiful setting.

• Visited May 2013
Norwich
“Ordinary fare”
Reviewed 6 April 2013

Ordinary is the best that can be said for this unadventurous fare - which is a shame, because there is a place for good pub grub that isn't gastro. But I do expect there to be at least one alternative to packets of mayonnaise or salad cream to go with a salad, I don't expect my whitebait to be enclosed in so much batter that all taste of fish is lost (ditto the scampi), I'd like some nice freshly cooked chips (as opposed to the rather undercooked ones I got) with my £9.00 main course, and some black pepper wouldn't go amiss either.

One very positive note - lots of fresh vegetables came with the mains, we were all very impressed with that. But the presentation of some of the dishes left a lot to be desired, and the service was less than attentative. All in all, I can think of several establishements in West Norfolk I'd rather go to.

• Visited April 2013