“A pleasant surprise”

Black Horse Pub & Restaurant
Ranked #117 of 182 Restaurants in King's Lynn
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
england
“A pleasant surprise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

Been for a meal with friends. Got to say first impressions weren't good, a packed bar and one person serving, restaurant was busy with one young lad rushed off his feet.But as soon.as we sat down at the table,the service as well as the food was excellent.We will definitely go back soon..

Norfolk
“Agree with previous reviewer”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

We popped in for a light bite whilst walking. The interior is shabby, dark and unwelcoming. The staff are scruffy and dismissive. We ordered and paid up front and sat outside. They didn't quite get the food right but after a very long wait, we accepted it anyway.

Castle Rising is a beautiful village and deserves a lovely friendly pub, shame that the Black Horse doesn't stack up.

C-brizzle
“Really very poor...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

We stopped in to the black horse as a party of 7 including a toddler.

The pub/restaurant looks really dated - not just that it's obviously an old building, but with really bad paintings and photos on the wall. They were (optimistically) for sale.

The staff were very nice. The food was total rubbish. We ordered 4 sets of ribs, a burger and 2 roast dinners.

We actually had to have half sets of ribs as there weren't enough in stock. Thank God. This was some of the worst meat in have ever have set before me. Covered in a layer of inedible sloppy fat and with only the vaguest suggestion of sauce or flavour. The ribs were a total wreck.

The burger was delivered with bacon and cheese despite saying we specifically wanted it plain.

Apparently the roast was pretty average.

Never again.

Cairns, Australia
“cosy pub serving good food for a good price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2013

I visited this pub Thursday 12 September for a late meal and a couple of pints. It was very quiet this evening but the landlord & landlady made me most welcome with very pleasant service, I dined in the pub rather than the restaurant and I recall the food was good and the beer excellent, I sat and took advantage of the free WiFi before heading off in the dark with my loaded up bicycle to find a free pitch for my tent on the Sandringham estate. I especially recall the landlady coming to the front door to lock up as I was mounting my bicycle and she urged me to ride carefully. I was touched by her concern and hope she is well. I would definately recommend The black Horse for an evening meal.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank martin A
Harlow
“Good Honest Fayre”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013

Decent food in a decent and homely pub. I was able to sit next to a warm cosy fire in a quiet but pleasant atmosphere and enjoy good food that was served quickly from the time of my order to its appearance at the table. It was hot, filling and reasonably priced. I did not leave feeling disappointed with anything which just about sums everything up.
My wife was equally happy with our visit and we would happily go there again when in that area.

• Visited October 2013