Booked this hotel for a short one night stay having been impressed by the reviews of this "boutique hotel". Well firstly, I would hardly call it a "boutique hotel" more like a pub with food and a few rooms. Its location is ok for the town and river walks etc but it right by the main busy London Road. As it was a warm night we had one of the large windows open so all the constant traffic noise throughout the night kept us awake. Additionally, at about 6am the local council road cleaning lorry came out and slowly cleaned the road outside the hotel. The rooms are large and the bed comfortable but its generally starting to become a bit scruffy. Curtains barely cover the windows! Bathroom again large with double walking shower. Only problem was that the shower had 2 temperatures, very hot and extremely hot, not great for the middle of summer.
We had dinner, a limited choice but we found stuff we liked. However, the roast lamb came with a £3.95 supplement and was offered with colcannon. This we chose but it was served with no colcannon and when this was pointed out to the manager he firstly said it was under the meat then went to the kitchen to check where it was. He return to say they had sold out but would take off the supplement!! The meal was entirely frozen and average at best.
Breakfast was a similar experience, we were offered the extremely limited continental breakfast at first until we enquired about a cooked one. When it came (very quickly) it appeared ok but when we began to eat it we discovered it to be microwaved, hence the quickness! The eggs were hard "fried", the bacon like cardboard and the sausages albino!
All in all a bit of disappointment.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- FREE WIFI througout the hotel in all of our totally refurbished bedrooms.If you want excellent local meats and seafood then you should visit this ambient restaurant and boutique hotel,our new sizzling dishes tantalite all taste buds, whether you want indian,Chinese or Mediterranean its all here,efficient and friendly service, good local ale and fabulous surroundings you’ll experience this hotel. Recently totally refurbished and under new management, The Thomas Paine Hotel offers a new level of comfort and service. Situated within walking distance of many of the town's attractions, it makes an ideal base for exploring the area or for the businessman needing a good night's sleep. Steeped in history having been the birthplace of Thomas Paine who wrote the Rights of a man, come visit history in its making. Only 30 minutes from Cambridge and 20 minutes from Newmarket excellent for the races. Plenty of free car parking. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Traveltool, S.L.U. and Priceline so you can book your The Thomas Paine Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Historical Thomas Paine Thetford
- The Thomas Paine Hotel Thetford, Norfolk