“DIDNT REALLY LIKE IT”

Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Thetford
bedfordshire
“DIDNT REALLY LIKE IT”
Reviewed 26 July 2011

Stayed overnight at The Bell as we had a business meeting next day. It seems to me that it trades on it just being the place where some of the actors stayed when they made Dads Army. Although hotel has been extended with new annexe we were put in a "feature" room in the old part. I am sure if I had been a tourist not from the UK I would have loved it but we thought it wasnt very good. Every board creaked and although bathroom was large and clean the shower didnt work properly. We could only open the sash windows a bit as they had glass sliding windows in front of them, it was unbearably hot for sleeping.
We had asked for a quiet room but we were put on the main street and the noise from the pubs up the street didnt quieten down until after 1.00pm. Breakfast was OK and staff pleasant enough, but I only had a small bowl of cereal and asked for more toast for my husband and I and we were given 1 slice between us!

Room Tip: Ask for the new wing unless you like creaky floorboards and stuffy rooms
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
OldEnglishInns, Owner at Bell Hotel, responded to this review, 1 August 2011
''Thank you for your comments regarding the Bell Inn and we are very sorry for heat and noise issues which spolit your stay on this occasion .
We will be working with our Team to make improvements.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
Adelaide
Reviewed 22 July 2011

We stayed for one night in room 110 on the 29th June. Not a cheap, but reasonable B & B, nice staff, good breakfast, comfortable room and beds, quiet and clean.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
OldEnglishInns, Owner at Bell Hotel, responded to this review, 26 July 2011
We are really please that you enjoyed your recent stay at our hotel. At Old English Inns we really value every one of our customer’s comments. Thank you for taking the time to post your comment and we look forward to welcoming you back to Old English Inns in the future.
Avoca Beach, Australia
Reviewed 20 July 2011

We needed a place to stay after driving for ages and not having anywhere to sleep for the night. We drove into Thetford and pulled into the Bell Hotel. It is old and a little down at heart and was very quiet which was surprising for summer. We have read some reviews about B&Bs in Thetford and they do sound a better option if you book ahead. The room was more than adequate, very big and bed comfie. Free Wifi was an advantage which helped us book our next 5 nights accommodation in advance as we had learnt to not just turn up "on spec" during the busy time of the year

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
OldEnglishInns, Owner at Bell Hotel, responded to this review, 26 July 2011
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2011

After reading the previous review I must admit I'm a little puzzled as this was most certainly not the experience I had here. Granted you could hear a little noise outside but as it was an old coaching inn situated smack bang in the middle of the town centre, surely one would be a little naive to think it's going to win a retreat of the year award.

The staff on reception were of very good calibre - quick and attentive. I stayed in room 108, and although it was a little dated it was very spacious and clean. The TV was the old style for AV buffs, however as I did not turn it on I could not comment further. I was impressed though with the Midi system in the room. One usually pays a darn sight more when one has one of these badgers in ones room.

The restaurant was okay, however the breakfasts were something else. Over in the bar Old Speckled Hen was on tap along with a much lighter session ale which was kept in very good order. All in all a pleasant stay.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
OldEnglishInns, Owner at Bell Hotel, responded to this review, 8 July 2011
Thank you for taking time to review your recent stay at our hotel.
We do value all comments good and bad and take great pride in offering the best possible experience for all our guests.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Bell Hotel or one of other Old English Inns very soon.
Surrey UK
Reviewed 4 July 2011

This has got to be the worse hotel I have ever stayed in !!!! I stayed here last year and it was bad but I thought benefit of the doubt and thought it may have been a one off ! But oh no this dreadful hotel again was even worse than the first time. Dirty, tatty, un clean !!! I could go on ! The staff seemed to be more worried about having cigarette breaks in the courtyard outside !!!!
We dropped our luggage off into the room as we had to go straight out, when we returned at around 10.30pm decided to go straight to bed as we needed to be up early the next day for a full day working, well by the time I had cleaned the bathroom enough to use I got into bed only to be greeted by the horrendous nosie from the traffic outside and also from the bar directly below our room !
I asked to be moved and was told that the hotel was full ( god knows how they managed that ) I asked the duty manager to come and look at the room to see the actual filth I was expected to sleep in ( I could not even sit in the chair that was in the room for the filth on it ! ) I then told the duty manager I wanted to be moved to another hotel which she did ( what a joy to walk into a Premier Inn !!!! I never thought I would ever say that !! )

Do not ever stay in this hotel I would rather have slept in my car !!!

God knows how this hotel has got any good reviews as I am sure these people stayed in another party of the hotel which was hidden !!!

Room Tip: Go to another hotel !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
OldEnglishInns, Owner at Bell Hotel, responded to this review, 6 July 2011
'Thank you for your feed back we will review the room standards with the Housekeeping & Maintance teams to bring the room to the correct standard.

Travellers are raving about these Thetford hotels

Kent
Reviewed 13 June 2011

We stayed at The Bell for my husband's 30th birthday and I was really surprised at how cheap the rooms were. On booking I requested a 4 poster room which was no extra charge and asked if they could decorate the room for my husband. I sent some decorations in the post to the hotel and they decorated the room brilliantly for me, it was a lovely surprise for my husband. Therefore I found the service excellent. I can see what some of the other reviews mean about having to wait for staff members to serve at the bar and reception but the staff that were working seemed to be doing all of the jobs and were doing the best they could.

We stayed in the John Pertwee suite which was really lovely, nice big comfortable bed! The room was clean and well equipped. Especially nice having a radio as well as a TV. The bathroom was clean and it was good to have a bath. We had a balcony which overlooked the river as well which was really nice.

The only criticism I make is the location of the hotel - Thetford is a very strange place! It seemed to be full of groups of men, drinking along the river which was a little bit intimidating. We therefore spent most of our time in the hotel - sitting in the bar and chilling out, which was quite a nice way to spend the afternoon. We also ate in the bar in the evening and found the service and food fantastic. Again, very good value for money.

My husband was doing a track day at Snetterton the next day and this was a good place to stay as its only a 15 minute journey away from Snetterton.

Room Tip: I booked via Old English Inn website number
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HSB82
OldEnglishInns, Owner at Bell Hotel, responded to this review, 14 June 2011
Thank you for taking time to review your recent stay at our hotel.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Bell or one of other Old English Inns very soon.
Maldon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 May 2011

We have just returned from a 2 night stay at this hotel and we were really impressed. We stay at Old English Inns frequently, and we've really been impressed with the quality of our stay, and this was no exception. We had the Arthur Lowe suite which was spacious and very comfortable. The four poster bed was so comfortable and we just had so much room. The bathroom was also spacious and extremely clean.

We ate on the river boat just outside on Sunday lunchtime and the whole experience was just so pleasant. Lovely walks along the river with lots of ducks, swans and geese which are always nice to look at.

This was a wedding present from my parents and it was our choice to stay here, and we were not disappointed.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Carol R
OldEnglishInns, Owner at Bell Hotel, responded to this review, 4 May 2011
Thank you for taking time to review your recent stay at our hotel.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thetford
Travelodge Thetford Hotel
#7 of 11 in Bury St Edmunds
Wereham House Hotel
Wereham House Hotel
#5 of 7 in Thetford

Been to Bell Hotel? Share your experiences!