“Not bad - apart from breakfast...”
Review of Bell Hotel

Bell Hotel
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Thetford
Reviewed 16 March 2014

We used this hotel as a base; there isn't much to do in Thetford...!

Firstly the parking is good - no competition after that long drive, and the check-in was expedient. The rooms are comfortable and ours had a large bed. Noise from within the hotel was quiet but we overlooked the main street which became noisy after closing time - so would ask for a room overlooking the river if possible.

Breakfast was chaotic on both days; a lot seemed to be going on but we kept being forgotten about and others were getting the wrong things delivered... so it took twice as long as expected - just as well we were in no rush.

So all in all not bad and as usual reasonably priced

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room - such as overlooking the river
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cran4
Richard D, Guest Relations Manager at Bell Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank-you for taking the time out of your day to share your thoughts about our hotel. We do recognise that there are certain issues that need addressing. We do take all feedback seriously whether good or bad, It is only with feedback like yours that enables us to improve our offering for future guests. However, it delights me to say a training plan and hotel improvement plan has since been rolled out for both the team and hotel in order for improvements to be made. Rest assured your thoughts will be shared with the whole team. The team and I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future to witness for yourself the changes.

There are newer reviews for Bell Hotel

Reviewed 13 March 2014 via mobile

It's a lottery as to what staff is available
Reception and front of house is v good
Bar service is ok and waiter/waitress service is fine on an evening
Breakfast is terrible, service slow and food is sometimes cold.
Food on an evening again is dependent on number of guests and staff
I've had excellent meals and horrendous meals.
Last 2 weeks had no terminal to pay by card even on reception
Visit at your peril

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank LesH2905

Thank you for taking the time out our your busy day to share your thoughts and comments regarding your stay with us. Please accept our sincere apology for the shortcomings you experienced during your stay. Comments good or bad are always appreciated.

Reviewed 11 March 2014 via mobile

Very friendly guy on reception when we arrived. Room typical old English inn, tired and shabby but comfortable bed and clean sheets . Shower head needed replacing as water sprouted everywhere . Food spillage on the stairs remained there over our 2 days and tables at breakfast were dirty. Buffet table was messy and waitresses weren't bothered about clearing tables. Thetford itself has a sense of despair about it and the hotel reflects this. A real shame.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank ThelmaLouiseKent

Reviewed 5 March 2014

We stayed two nights (room 21) and it was as good as our first two visits. The room was clean and comfortable. The staff were friendly and very hard working, nothing was too much trouble for them, at busy times there could have been more staff on to help. The breakfast and evening meals we had were good value for money and freshly prepared. A good all round place to stay if you are in the area, and we will be back again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ayrichardson
Richard D, Guest Relations Manager at Bell Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2014

Thank you for your feedback, I'm glad you found the hotel good value. We work hard in all areas of the hotel to provide fantastic value for money. It’s good to hear that you had a positive experience. I will also pass on your comments regarding the team members personaly. We all look forward to welcoming you back in the future

Reviewed 4 March 2014 via mobile

Lovely room and friendly staff, a real treasure. I stayed in room 29 and it's fantastic with a 4 poster bed. The value is well worth it and the food on offer is really plentiful with a wide range of tastes catered for at a reasonable price and freshly prepared

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Howard1964

Thank you for your feedback, I'm glad you found the hotel good value and you found the hotel to be amazing. We work hard in all areas of the hotel to provide fantastic value for money. Once again thankyou for the kinds words regarding our hotel. We all look forward to welcoming you back in the future

Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

Have been given this hotel by work for a lengthy stay and have to be honest in describing this as my version of faulty towers.
Witnessed a joke of a dinner service in the restaurant on my second night; team running around and only 8 tables in. Kitchen shouting ' service, SERVICE, SERVICE' and clearly audible through the restaurant. My food OK But 4 other tables appeared to have problems
Went to the bar on my third night for a drink at about 10.40 to be greeted warmly with 'I am calling last orders OK' - bloody terrible service
Shower didn't work to be told couldn't fix it over the weekend as maintenance couldn't come in as it was a big job. Did offer me to change my room but I was at work!
To top it off my car has been scratched in the car park - do they have CCTV = NO, team member on reception showed no compassion then went back into the office to carry on her conversation
Suffice to say I will be requesting a move to a decent hotel
I hate writing negative views but feel strongly in this case. Poor, poor service in an aged establishment.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank sjrobson

Reviewed 23 February 2014

We did not stay here alas, so I can only review the food we had...

Firstly this is a BIG, and I mean TARDIS big place...think complex rather than hotel and you get the idea. We worked up an appetite having walked around most of it looking for the restaurant ( we found it...set up but devoid of customers,,, the Mary Celeste of restaurants...turned ourselves around and backtracked to the bar we recalled seeing on our trip out, ( sherpas and base camp will help you if you make the same journey). Once ensconced within the bar we ordered of a lovely menu with a delightful range of dishes..

For once I ordered something ordinary... Fish n chips

I was disappointed initially as the order was rather tight on the chips, but having tasted them, it was a blessing in disguise as i would have eaten ten times the amount, they saved me from myself!

As for the fish...

oh..

the fish

this was the sort of fish that you talk about when you recall great meals you have had.. the batter was perfect, crisp and crunchy to the bite, with a soft underside revealing firm extremely tasty fish within.

My partner had Salad, the Stilton, pear and candied walnut... which was lovely but no candied walnuts. I suggested oit was candied walnut surprise...but she was not amused.
Overall verdict in the salad was Nice...but disappointing.

Desert was Clotted cream cheesecake, topped with warm succulent black cherries....slightly tart, which works very well. Quite simply delicious.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Blarys

Thank you for your feedback, it pleases me to read that you found our award winning fish and chips to live up too its award. This meal is one of my personal favourates off the menu. It’s good to hear that you had a positive experience. I will also pass on your comments regarding your meals personaly to the kitchen team. We all look forward to welcoming you back in the future

Also consider these accommodations in or near Thetford
Travelodge Thetford Hotel
#5 of 7 in Thetford
Brandon House
Brandon House
#1 of 1 in Brandon

Been to Bell Hotel? Share your experiences!