“I didn't see no ghost!!”
Review of Bell Hotel

Bell Hotel
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Thetford
Leicester, England, United Kingdom
“I didn't see no ghost!!”
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Just returned from a three day break at The Bell Thetford. Despite some dodgy reviews I found the place very welcoming. The food was very good and the staff most helpful.The room very very comfy and clean.

Enjoy a local brew in the bar aptly called Bell Ghost Ale.Very nice it is too. And seasonably priced.

Ignore the negative reviews and give it a try. My only moan was we didn't experience any ghostly activity. But I think we were in the wrong area of the hotel.

Room Tip: The ghost, allegedly, resides between bed rooms 26 and 30.
1 Thank Bruce P
Richard D, Guest Relations Manager at Bell Hotel, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Thank you for leaving such positive feedback for your recent stay with us. We have worked hard in all areas of the hotel recently to provide fantastic value for money along with exceptional customer service from all members of the team.

As mentioned to other guests if you let us know you are arriving for the next time you stay at the hotel I will have a chat with Betty and see if she can make a special appearance for you over a pint of the popular Ghost Ale!! The team and I hope to welcome you back in the near future

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 April 2014

We only stayed a night (1 double and 1 single) as we were visiting family and so wish we could have stayed longer.
The hotel was lovely from our initial check-in to sadly our check-out - all the staff were efficient, very polite and chatty (had a great chat with the man on reception about the pubs history, the haunted areas and Betty the Ghost) not a bad word so say about any of them.
The hotel had lovely area from the bar area which was busy to other little rooms were you could go for a quieter drink or to read. We had drinks in the bar in the afternoon and evening and a meal all of which were very reasonable and delicious, the bar area was busy with guests and locals which just goes to show the excellent reputation it has.
Our room was surprisingly large and clean and the bed very comfortable.
Breakfast, wow... selection of fruit and yoghurts and an A La Carte menu, very reasonable and huge portions, we had a cooked breakfast, an Eggs Benedict and omelette - the latter two were huge and delicious.
Some areas need a little TLC but this is to be expected when you have a hotel such as this which is busy due to its great service.
Definitely be back.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank kalimo
Thank you for leaving such positive feedback, I'm glad you found the hotel good value and you enjoyed what the hotel has to offer. We have worked hard in all areas of the hotel recently to provide fantastic value for money along with exceptional customer service from all members of the team. Maybe next time you stay at the hotel I will have a chat with Betty and see if she can make a special appearance for you!!
Gillingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 April 2014

I have stayed at many Old English Inns on business and although they are all adhere to certain standards some are better than others. This was one of the best. I look for three things when I stay which are: Good Shower, Good Mattress and peace and quiet. This inn passed with 2 out of 3. Unfortunately the mattress needed replacing which is, I'm afraid, a common fault. However the rest of the stay was spot on and I would recommend this as an overnighter.

Room Tip: Ungraded to a superior room which was just that! Even I fitted on the bed
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Martin D
Richard D, Guest Relations Manager at Bell Hotel, responded to this review, 19 April 2014
Thank you for your feedback, I'm glad you had a fantastic stay with us and rate us as being a Gem. We work hard in all areas of the hotel to provide fantastic value for money. It’s good to hear that you had a positive experience. We all look forward to welcoming you back in the future where next time the team and I are sure we will get 3 out of 3. Furthermore glad you enjoyed your up-grade and managed to have a good nights sleep.
Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

As a regular hotel visitor, I've stayed in this one a few times, yet have never left a review. I feel now I need to say what a difference I've noticed in the last two weeks!
A month or so ago on a visit here the staff seemed really not that interested in what they were doing, there seemed no direction management wise. Service was a little lack lustre shall we say! Everything seemed too much effort.

Well... something has happened in the last few weeks to change that for the better! You get a much nicer atmosphere as you walk in, staff seem so much more motivated and interested in what they are doing and as a guest, this makes your stay so much more pleasant.
Breakfast is great and meals in the restaurant are v.good value.the rooms are comfortable and clean.what else could you need?
I believe this change is down to the new manager in place, I think his name was Richard... or though he did say he was temporary. Just shows what a difference a little good direction can make to a place.

Lets hope it stays in place with future management as I for one am very impressed and would now happily recommend the hotel to other travellers. (Something I have never felt quite confident enough in the place to do before!)
To all staff at the hotel... keep it up... I shall return again and again.

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank scratch36
Richard D, Guest Relations Manager at Bell Hotel, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Thank you for your feedback, I'm glad you found the hotel good value and you feel that you could recommend us. We work hard in all areas of the hotel to provide fantastic value for money. It’s good to hear that you had a positive experience. I will also personaly pass on your comments regarding Paul. Once again thanks for sharing your thoughts about our hotel. We all look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Been meeting friends and family at the Bell for a few years now and, although the food has never been great, the location and surroundings are perfect for catching up.

However, the last two visits have been particularly bad. Today was the worst and we won't be going back! The service was awful- plates were just left and we had to clear away ourselves- and the good was cold and rubbish. I did complain and got some free coffees but certainly won't go back which is a shame.

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank Vanders79
Dear Guest,

Thank-you for taking the time out of your day to share your thoughts about our restaurant. We do recognise that there are certain issues that need addressing. We do take all feedback seriously whether good or bad, It is only with feedback like yours that enables us to improve our offering for future guests. However, it delights me to say a training plan and hotel improvement plan has since been rolled out for both the team and restaurant offering in order for improvements to be made. Rest assured your thoughts will be shared with the whole team. The team and I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future to witness for yourself the changes.

Travellers are raving about these Thetford hotels

Bedale, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Stayed here for a week-end break as it is convenient for Snetterton Racing circuit (about ten minutes away) . Booked using a Daily Mail code so two nights B&B for two of us cost an amazing £59.80 - that was cheaper than the local Travelodge was charging for room only!! Lovely building ; room was a fair size , clean , with a comfortable bed , drinks and biscuits tray provided in the room. Breakfast in the morning was very good ....choice of pastries, croissants, muffins, cereals, fresh fruit and fruit juices as well as a very tasty full english breakfast or other cooked choices - but Linda the waitress really made breakfast a pleasure, she was just so bubbly and cheerful and friendly with everyone. We would definitely return again.

Room Tip: Through no fault of the hotels it is next to the coach / bus station. Whilst the vehicles were not a...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback, I'm glad you found the hotel good value and had the pleasure too meet cheery Linda during breakfast, and your right she does make all the difference. We work hard in all areas of the hotel to provide fantastic value for money. It’s good to hear that you had a positive experience and were able to find such a fantastic deal to stay with us. We all look forward to welcoming you back in the future
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 April 2014

This hotel is part of the Old English Inn chain of hotels owned by the brewery Green King and having had a very pleasant stay in one of their hotels in the Cotswolds we were looking forward to our visit.

First impressions were that no one was in charge, check in was a bit chaotic and having stayed there for two nights, it seems that everyone has at least two jobs. The staff tried to do their best but they need training and direction.

Our room was very clean, well decorated and the bed was comfortable with clean bedding and the radiator worked. There was an ironing board and iron, tv, tea, coffee and biscuits tray and free Wifi.

The bathroom needed attention. It was as clean as possible, but there were cracked, mismatching tiles and the fitments were wobbly and rusting. Towels were, however, clean, white and fluffy. Hand and body wash and lotion provided but no shampoo.

The public areas were a different matter. The carpets need refitting and cleaning and there were areas of paintwork that were very badly scuffed and needed re-painting. There was a strong smell of smoke/soot from the lounge - did the chimneys need cleaning? We couldn't find the table with the brochures for local attractions - it was out of the way, outside the toilets! It sounds from a previous review as though it doesn't have a manager at the moment and it shows.

We stayed for two nights and ate in both nights. The first night we were asked if we could book a table later as there was a party of 16 in the restaurant. This we did but we still had to wait for an hour after ordering our meal and they had run out of some of the food. The next night there were 8 in the restaurant and we waited half an hour for our meal. The problem was that the kitchen also serves the bar and the staff were busy taking orders into the bar - perhaps we should have eaten in there.

Breakfast on the other hand was prompt, plenty of coffee and the cooked breakfast was good.

The hotel was busy but it is mainly geared towards business people, travelling workmen and people staying for conferences.

After staying at a previous Old English Inn and eating at another one, this definitely lets the side down.

1 Thank Karen R
Thank you for your feedback, please accept my apologies for the short-comings you experienced during stay with us. I will share all of your feedback with the rest of the team. It’s with feedback like yours that we are able to better improve the service we offer to our guests. It’s good to hear that the majority of your stay was positive. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thetford
Travelodge Thetford Hotel
#5 of 7 in Thetford
Brandon House
Brandon House
#1 of 1 in Brandon

Been to Bell Hotel? Share your experiences!