“Nice”

Bell Hotel
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Thetford
“Nice”
Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

Two night stay in superior room with four poster bed,nice & clean & quiet,in the old part of hotel,food ok,could do with more staff though as the girls were like headless chickens!!! Friendly staff,tea & coffee in rooms,extra milk,tea bags at reception

Stayed July 2014
Richard D, Guest Relations Manager at Bell Hotel, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review the Bell hotel. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and I will pass your comments onto all the staff . We look forward to welcoming you back again

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
newcastle-under-lyme, staffs
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I stayed here as a stop over for one night on 26th July 14 , on my way to Norwich, this Hotel has a nice location to the Town Centre, there is a canal at the rear by the overspill car parking, and a very nice courtyard entrance with parking and tables out for diners and drinkers, it was a very warm muggy evening when I arrived, and the only disabled parking space was taken, although no blue badge was on display. Check-in was fine, I asked about places to eat, and the receptionist was helpful, I used a Diners card to authorise payment, and went to my room, which overlooked the courtyard, it was clean, well laid out, but a little small, no extra pillows in the wardrobe, which i do like, but they did send one up. I was going to use the restaurant, but when I went in, there was no one around, it seemed the staff were more busy with the service outside in the courtyard. No problem, I walk up the road and ate in an air conditioned Indian restaurant which was very nice.
This hotel just lacks a bit of leadership, nothing too wrong, but , it has the ability to get everything better, it just felt " lazy ", you know, just doing enough, but really not enough.
I didn't get a very good night sleep because of the noise from the courtyard outside til late, and after that, somebody decided to leave at 3 in the morning and their car was below my window!
Now, and here it does have a big problem, it was Sunday morning, and it opened its restaurant at 8 am, well I turned up at 8, the same time as the waitress staff, one to be precise , she took my order toast on brown bread and scrambled egg on toast, and coffee, then a dozen or more people showed up, and she just couldn't handle it, I heard her telling a table of four, of not good English speaking people to hurry up because she'd got other to see to, my toast turned up, one round two slices, and the scrambled egg was on one round with toy scrambled eggs!.
No excuse for any Hotel to offer a good breakfast, and here I felt I made the right decision not to have dinner there, it just sends out a can't be bothered , too much trouble statement.
When I came to check out, the morning receptionist told me they didn't take a Diners Card, I said the receptionist the night before Authorised it , she didn't know what cards they could take, the payment went through on the Diners card. I wasn't asked if everything was ok, had I enjoyed my stay, was my room ok, nothing, when I left she had know more idea about my stay than when I arrived.
A shame really, because this Hotel and staff could do a lot better, with very little effort.

Room Tip: don't overlook the courtyard very noisy
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Richard D, Guest Relations Manager at Bell Hotel, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review the Bell hotel. I am sorry to read that you did not enjoy your recent stay with us and that the staff and hotel were not up to our usual high standards. I will be speaking to the staff both on reception and on breakfast during you stay, regarding the levels of service you witnessed and received. We are currently implementing refresher training for staff in all areas and I shall ensure that all the points you mentioned are dealt with to make sure that these issues do not happen again. Thank you for providing us with you feedback, as this is what helps us a business to move forward. I hope your experience has not put you off of staying with us again, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Stayed at The Bell Inn in Thetford from the 11th July for 2 nights for my partners birthday. I booked this hotel as it was very close to Go Ape where we were spending the day. The pictures on the internet should a lovely hotel with Superior rooms however it did not show the static boat outside our room which was a night club for foreigners!!! However I can tell you they had a lovely time partying until 1 am. I have to say the room was lovely and clean and great value for money however it would have been nice if the mattress on the bed fitted so then every time you laid down it didn't fall between the slats. The staff on reception and in the bar were absolutely lovely and very helpful, the meal we had in the bar was lovely even though it wasn't actually what I ordered. My main disappointment with this hotel were the staff when we went down for breakfast, the first morning I ordered scrambled egg and it was like rubber and very cold, looked like it had been over microwave and I just couldn't eat it, the buffet table consisted of 1 yoghurt and half a jug of orange juice. The second morning we were seated by a lovely young waitress, told to help ourselves to the buffet (which was a table of nothing)!!! then whilst waiting to order an older lady came out of the kitchen and shout from the kitchen door at us and we were told to leave and go to the lounge!!! We may have been 5 minutes before the restaurant closed for breakfast (may have been we are unsure) however I feel there are ways of telling people and I do not feel shouting across a busy restaurant is one!!! I felt so embarrassed we left didn't go to the lounge or where whether we were supposed to be, got our luggage and left the hotel. I would have said something at the time to the person on the reception however I felt so embarrassed I just wanted to leave. So all in all a big disappointment for my partners birthday.

Room Tip: I believe there are some quiet rooms, request one so you are not overlooking the nightclub
1 Thank Lorraine H
Thank you for taking the time to review the Bell hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed the majority of your stay with us , however I am concerned about the inexcusable way you were treated at breakfast . I will be speaking to the member of staff who was working that morning, and if you would like to contact me at the hotel on 01842 754455, we can discuss this further and hopefully rectify the mistakes that were made. Please except my sincere apologies on this matter and I look to hearing from you. I hope this has not put you off staying with us in the future.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

Lovely wee hotel, staying here for 5 days and 3 days in I just wanted to say the customer service is great. Rooms are great value - yes there can be a bit of a wait at Breakfast but only when we all arrived at the same time and I seen that happen a few time as our group need to leave at the same time so I fear that may have affected the other customers not part of our group (sorry)
Food is great value, good speed & tasty.
But reception, bar & restaurant staff couldn't have accommodated our group better.
Highly recommend.
R

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank whoopswasntme
Thank you for taking the time to review the Bell Hotel, we are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and found all of our team friendly and welcoming . We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Just returned from a 1 night stay and enjoyed our trip. We were greeted with a warm welcome, check in was easy and quick. Our room on the 2nd floor overlooked the canal and it was surprisingly quiet considering that we were looking out over the main road and the coach/bus drop off area. The staff were all cheerful and were happy to chat with the guests. Our evening meal was very good (large portions) and reasonably priced. There is even a 3 course special for under £10. We had a nice bottle of wine, again reasonably priced. It is a lovely old hotel set on the edge of the town and is closely associated with Dad's Army TV series that was filmed in and around Thetford. It also has an outdoor seating area. The only let down was the breakfast, lots of "help yourself" items had run out and were not replenished, although there was still an hour to go. The Gloucester Gold Spot sausage has a grand name but is a complete let down, tasted like it was filled with cereal, and the fried egg was very greasy. We had no milk for our tea so the waitress just took a half used jug from the next table as they had finished their meal.(not very professional). We will certainly stay again if we are in the area.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review the Bell Hotel. We are glad that you enjoyed you stay with us. Please except my apologies for the shortcomings you experienced during your breakfast, I have passed your comments on to the kitchen and front of house team, who would also like to offer there apologies, and will review there processes to ensure this does not happen again. Thank you for your complements regarding the staff, as a team we pride ourselves on providing a warm, welcoming and friendly environment for our guests.
We look forward to welcoming you back again soon
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Very quaint hotel with no straight lines, honestly it feels as if you are in a Harry Potter set! This hotel is a must if you're a Dad's Army fan, there are photos everywhere & most of the rooms are named after the characters. The breakfast room overlooks the Captain Mainwairing statue.
We found the hotel to have very lovely, helpful reception staff and the lady who is the chambermaid is delightful. We stayed on one of the hottest weekends in ages & she very kindly left a fan in our room for us (our room had no air conditioning)
Despite facing a main road and overlooking the patio seating area, our room was very quiet, even though there was a wedding party.
We took our dog who was more than welcome outside & in the bar area. You have to leave your dog in your room if you have breakfast in the restaurant.
We ate in the bar both nights of our stay & although service was quite slow, the food was of good quality & reasonably priced.
The only down side is the breakfast! There was a poor choice of cereals, yoghurts etc There was no marmalade & we had to ask for the orange juice to be refilled & for milk for our coffee. We also had to ask for a refill of coffee, which was given, but quite reluctantly!! The second morning there was even less choice with only natural yoghurt & less fruit available. The whole area looked as if it needed to be restocked & I heard quite a few people asking for things. The cooked breakfast choice is better, although they do not offer a vegetarian full English option.
We have stayed in Old English hotels several times before & all have served considerably better breakfasts.

1 Thank michaelahewlett
Richard D, Guest Relations Manager at Bell Hotel, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review the Bell Hotel. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and I will pass your complements onto the recption and housekeeping team . I am sorry to hear that your experience at breakfast was not to our usual standards and that the buffet was not sufficiently restocked, but you may be pleased to hear that we are currently undergoing refresher training, with all our team, to ensure stardards are consistenlty high through out the hotel . Thank you again for your review and we look forward to seeing you again at the Bell.
Derbyshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2014

This is the first time I have ever written a review -so here goes!
My husband, myself and our little dog Polly visited The Bell Hotel during the last week of May, and we had an absolutely lovely 4 night short break. We were made to feel very welcome and nothing was too much trouble for the staff. From the minute we got there to the minute we checked out, we were impressed. We were able to take our dog everywhere in the hotel except the dining room, our breakfast was brought out to us in the Piano room, and we ate every night in the Bar area. We found all the food tasty and reasonably priced. We stayed in Room 1, which was large, clean and comfortable. The hotel is literally only a minute away from beautiful riverside walks. We will most definitely be visiting you again. Thankyou.

Room Tip: Room 1 was a very good room for staying in with a dog, because you can get out very easily into the...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review the Bell Inn. We are very glad to hear that you, your husband and Polly enjoyed your stay, we always enjoy welcoming a dog to the hotel . I will pass your complements onto the team and we look forward to welcoming you back again .
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thetford
Travelodge Thetford Hotel
#2 of 2 in Mundford
Brandon House
Brandon House
#1 of 1 in Brandon

Been to Bell Hotel? Share your experiences!