“Avoid” 2 of 5 bubbles

Bell Hotel
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Thetford
“Avoid”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

Old, tatty, scruffy and worn down. Beer ok, food acceptable. Staff rude and abrasive.

Quotes
"I don't know how the windows haven't fallen out yet sir" stud when the windows were jammed open.
"Thats what I thought you ordered so that's what you have" before walking iff to leave me with a breaker I didn't order.
"I can't do anything about you being out of pocket, that's all I am telling you. Please pay and leave". After not getting a breakfast and having to go and buy my own elsewhere.

Rubbish. Stay away.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Richard D, Guest Relations Manager at Bell Hotel, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback for the Bell hotel , we value all comments whether good or bad and are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your recent stay with us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
Reykjavik, Iceland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

I am not a complainer of any kind but just must write a review. Bell Inn can not be recommended. Noisy, shower didn´t work, room was dirty (didn´t mind that to begin with), to top it all was breakfast, just wanted fruit after a restless sleep (due to noise), fruit was sour, obviousely off. Had complained too much earlier that evening so felt I had to hold my tong. Was glad to get out of that place. Other B and B during our week was great...Bell Inn needs brushing up!

Room Tip: Not recommended.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Rooms
4 Thank laraliv2016
Thank you for taking the time to review the Bell Hotel. I would like to apologise for the shortcomings you received during your recent visit. I have passed on your comments regarding the quality of the fruit to the kitchen team and also passed on your comments about the shower to our maintenance man, who has now seen to the issue.

Travellers are raving about these Thetford hotels

Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

We chose the hotel as we have relatives nearby in Bridgham.
We arrived on Sunday afternoon and invited the relatives to join us for Sunday Carvery. We sat in the bar and ordered food. There wasn't a defined carvery so we ordered of the main menu. There was one overworked staff in the bar and when she had to pop out to the kitchen, leaving a few customers waiting for service at which I overheard one local gentleman declare that " This is the worst place in Thetford for bar service." (not something I relished hearing as we were going to check in after dinner).
There were a few disappointments because we had to change both food and beer orders as they had just ran out...even though the bar was less than 1/4 full. Food came but was very slow in between courses...because of the overworked staff member.

We booked into our room which was in the old part, fortunately over the week we were pleased we were not in room 26 because this was next to the top of the stairs and the fire door slammed shut and the floor creaked very loadly...our room was further around but we could still here the muted thud. (A new dampener on the door is an easy fix.)

The room was a very nice sized double and clean. (the Shower could do with some grouting cleaned and there was no window in the bathroom and the extractor didn't work.) The room was cleaned daily to a good standard. We overlooked the front garden from the first floor and even though the weather was great, patrons in the garden did not disturb us.

Mondays breakfast was served in the restaurant area. It had a buffet part and the waitress took our order for a cooked breakfast. The food was good but again the staff were over worked. Tuesdays breakfast was a bit more disappointing as there were no cleared tables for us two and the buffet was very empty at 08;15...There had been an influx of single service working guests who depart early and the only waitress was Severely over worked...We helped to make our own table up.

After Sunday's meal in the hotel and even though we received a %age off our next meal voucher (given to all patrons on Sunday as a promotion) We decided that we were not going to be eating our main meal there again.

We did use the bar most nights and unfortunately we got used to having to go to reception to ask for service as quite a number of times the bar was unattended. Except we did notice a pick up in staff numbers Thursday and Friday evenings. Even then we witnessed staff actually running between the kitchen and bar due to being overworked.

The location was good for us and we visited Norwich and Sandrigham House as well as seeing relies in Hitchin and Biggleswade.

Overall:
Staff were Overworked but really good and friendly.
Room was very good.
Food Good ( what we had of it.)
Location was ideal for us. Its town centre location was handy for banks and a few shops on the high street.

If the management focused more effort into adding staff at peak times instead of cutting hours to increase profits, then I feel they would actually gain because patrons would be more inclined to use their facilities to the full...waiting for service is very detrimental to the bottom line. Also, running out of menu'ed items and IPA beer at the weekend shows poor planning.

I give this hotel 3 stars with a big potential for more.

Room Tip: Ask to change if your unhappy with the room especially rooms 26 & 25
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Kevin H
Thank you for taking the time to review the Bell Hotel. I am sorry to read that you did not enjoy all of your stay at the hotel and have spoken to the team regarding the issues that you raised. I have passed your positive comments onto the relevant team members and would again like to thank you for leaving your feedback. It is feedback such as yours that allows us as a business and team to move forward and make improvements.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

Two night stay in superior room with four poster bed,nice & clean & quiet,in the old part of hotel,food ok,could do with more staff though as the girls were like headless chickens!!! Friendly staff,tea & coffee in rooms,extra milk,tea bags at reception

Stayed July 2014
Richard D, Guest Relations Manager at Bell Hotel, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review the Bell hotel. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and I will pass your comments onto all the staff . We look forward to welcoming you back again
newcastle-under-lyme, staffs
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

I stayed here as a stop over for one night on 26th July 14 , on my way to Norwich, this Hotel has a nice location to the Town Centre, there is a canal at the rear by the overspill car parking, and a very nice courtyard entrance with parking and tables out for diners and drinkers, it was a very warm muggy evening when I arrived, and the only disabled parking space was taken, although no blue badge was on display. Check-in was fine, I asked about places to eat, and the receptionist was helpful, I used a Diners card to authorise payment, and went to my room, which overlooked the courtyard, it was clean, well laid out, but a little small, no extra pillows in the wardrobe, which i do like, but they did send one up. I was going to use the restaurant, but when I went in, there was no one around, it seemed the staff were more busy with the service outside in the courtyard. No problem, I walk up the road and ate in an air conditioned Indian restaurant which was very nice.
This hotel just lacks a bit of leadership, nothing too wrong, but , it has the ability to get everything better, it just felt " lazy ", you know, just doing enough, but really not enough.
I didn't get a very good night sleep because of the noise from the courtyard outside til late, and after that, somebody decided to leave at 3 in the morning and their car was below my window!
Now, and here it does have a big problem, it was Sunday morning, and it opened its restaurant at 8 am, well I turned up at 8, the same time as the waitress staff, one to be precise , she took my order toast on brown bread and scrambled egg on toast, and coffee, then a dozen or more people showed up, and she just couldn't handle it, I heard her telling a table of four, of not good English speaking people to hurry up because she'd got other to see to, my toast turned up, one round two slices, and the scrambled egg was on one round with toy scrambled eggs!.
No excuse for any Hotel to offer a good breakfast, and here I felt I made the right decision not to have dinner there, it just sends out a can't be bothered , too much trouble statement.
When I came to check out, the morning receptionist told me they didn't take a Diners Card, I said the receptionist the night before Authorised it , she didn't know what cards they could take, the payment went through on the Diners card. I wasn't asked if everything was ok, had I enjoyed my stay, was my room ok, nothing, when I left she had know more idea about my stay than when I arrived.
A shame really, because this Hotel and staff could do a lot better, with very little effort.

Room Tip: don't overlook the courtyard very noisy
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Richard D, Guest Relations Manager at Bell Hotel, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review the Bell hotel. I am sorry to read that you did not enjoy your recent stay with us and that the staff and hotel were not up to our usual high standards. I will be speaking to the staff both on reception and on breakfast during you stay, regarding the levels of service you witnessed and received. We are currently implementing refresher training for staff in all areas and I shall ensure that all the points you mentioned are dealt with to make sure that these issues do not happen again. Thank you for providing us with you feedback, as this is what helps us a business to move forward. I hope your experience has not put you off of staying with us again, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
London, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

Stayed at The Bell Inn in Thetford from the 11th July for 2 nights for my partners birthday. I booked this hotel as it was very close to Go Ape where we were spending the day. The pictures on the internet should a lovely hotel with Superior rooms however it did not show the static boat outside our room which was a night club for foreigners!!! However I can tell you they had a lovely time partying until 1 am. I have to say the room was lovely and clean and great value for money however it would have been nice if the mattress on the bed fitted so then every time you laid down it didn't fall between the slats. The staff on reception and in the bar were absolutely lovely and very helpful, the meal we had in the bar was lovely even though it wasn't actually what I ordered. My main disappointment with this hotel were the staff when we went down for breakfast, the first morning I ordered scrambled egg and it was like rubber and very cold, looked like it had been over microwave and I just couldn't eat it, the buffet table consisted of 1 yoghurt and half a jug of orange juice. The second morning we were seated by a lovely young waitress, told to help ourselves to the buffet (which was a table of nothing)!!! then whilst waiting to order an older lady came out of the kitchen and shout from the kitchen door at us and we were told to leave and go to the lounge!!! We may have been 5 minutes before the restaurant closed for breakfast (may have been we are unsure) however I feel there are ways of telling people and I do not feel shouting across a busy restaurant is one!!! I felt so embarrassed we left didn't go to the lounge or where whether we were supposed to be, got our luggage and left the hotel. I would have said something at the time to the person on the reception however I felt so embarrassed I just wanted to leave. So all in all a big disappointment for my partners birthday.

Room Tip: I believe there are some quiet rooms, request one so you are not overlooking the nightclub
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Location
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank Lorraine H
Thank you for taking the time to review the Bell hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed the majority of your stay with us , however I am concerned about the inexcusable way you were treated at breakfast . I will be speaking to the member of staff who was working that morning, and if you would like to contact me at the hotel on 01842 754455, we can discuss this further and hopefully rectify the mistakes that were made. Please except my sincere apologies on this matter and I look to hearing from you. I hope this has not put you off staying with us in the future.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

Lovely wee hotel, staying here for 5 days and 3 days in I just wanted to say the customer service is great. Rooms are great value - yes there can be a bit of a wait at Breakfast but only when we all arrived at the same time and I seen that happen a few time as our group need to leave at the same time so I fear that may have affected the other customers not part of our group (sorry)
Food is great value, good speed & tasty.
But reception, bar & restaurant staff couldn't have accommodated our group better.
Highly recommend.
R

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank whoopswasntme
Thank you for taking the time to review the Bell Hotel, we are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and found all of our team friendly and welcoming . We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.