“Great stay ..”
Review of Bell Hotel

Bell Hotel
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Thetford
Reviewed 5 December 2010

Hi we stayed the night at this hotel and loved it . The staff were very welcoming and very nice . The food was good and at a reasonable price . The first room , the Arthur Lowe suite was a amazing room , but my wife was so scared of the feeling of the room .So the staff put us in a modern room . This was a bigger room and lovely .
Overall the stay was great and the staff were lovely . Would definately stay again . I even left something behind in the room . They found it and sent it to me .

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 28 November 2010

We needed to get our heads down somewhere near to Centerparcs on a Sunday night. The other half wanted me to book the travelodge but I took a punt on this place, having found it on laterooms and was pretty nervous about the booking after having read the reviews on here. After all, it had to be pretty ropey for 30 quid, right? Well, it seems that the Bell Hotel has at some point taken over the neighbouring establishment which is currently in the process of refurbishment. The main part of the hotel is very smart, nicely decorated etc... When I checked in and the lady realised I was with a young toddler, she said, "oh I don't think that room will be suitable for your little one as it is a sofa bed. I'll put you in another room with a king size and a single". The room we were intiailly put in had not been refurbished (which probably explained the low price?) but the room we were moved to had been refurbished and was great. it had a 3 piece suite and a huge bathroom. it was in the wing that belonged to the inn which had been recently taken over by the hotel and I must say, the corridors were pretty grim. if the rooms had been as bad as the corridor, I think I would have turned and run. . Breakfast was good and the staff were extremely friendly. A wonderfully patient and obliging waitress even went to the trouble of having something prepared especially for me son. I felt terribly guilty having only paid 30 quid for all this. But the upshot is I'd definitely go back again. At double the price it would still have been a good buy. At triple, it would probably still have been a decent buy. I wonder if some of the dissatisfaction expressed on here is because people were put in some of the unrenovated accommodation. My advice: if you don't like the quality of the room, ask to move. It may be that there are better rooms available.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 November 2010

We booked the Bell Inn hotel 3 weeks ago and the night before we left read these reviews, feeling somewhat nervous of what we were about to let ourselves in for......But thankfully it was great. Clean and good sized room for a family of 4, fresh linen and towels, great breakfast, very friendly staff and good parking. I will say the shower was a light drizzle but for value its hard to beat.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 November 2010

Some of the public areas look to have had some recent refurbishment but the main accommodation wing is very tired. Tempramental single-glazed windows, dodgy heating (I was cold despite turning my radiator on full, but a colleague in another room roasted in the heat), terrible shower pressure, no seat at the small desk, small telly with patchy reception.

On the more positive side; a freindly welcome at reception, free WiFi, good cleanliness (carpet excepted) and a reasonably nice a la carte breakfast - all for not a lot of money.

So, not a complete disaster given the reasonable rates. But I'd rather pay an extra 20 quid or so if it meant not having to lever my window closed, freeze in my bed or get a decent shower.

Will not stay here again unless the accommodation wing is refurbished.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 November 2010

My partner and i stayed here for the second time on a sunday and it was brilliant. We had the Arthur Lowe suite and it was very clean and cosy with an amazing four poster bed. The bathroom was clean with lots of fresh towels and the bath filled up really quickly. We had a great nights sleep with no disturbance during the night. The location is great and central to thetford town centre. I honestly cannot understand the amount of bad reviews this lovely old hotel is getting. The reception staff were friendly and helpful as were the resturant staff. Nice selection of muffins, pastries and fresh juices while we waited for our full english breakfast. Absolutely no complaints from us, infact, we cant wait to return. Would recommend to anyone. Keep up the good work :)

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 November 2010

I am really shocked to see the bad reviews the hotel got, my partner and i spent Halloween night there, we had room 10 overlooking the graveyard, the staff were very welcoming, the room was spotless, the food was very reasonably priced and very tasty, there were candles lit everwhere, we had the best night, we found the hotel to be cosy warm, nothing was cheaply done, the towels were fluffy and warm in the bathroom, the bar was cosy and people were friendly, all in all the only downside to our experience was the morning, having to leave we cant wait, we are going back in March, so for all you reviewers that slated it, you must have very inadequate eyesight.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 October 2010

My boyfriend and I were in Thetford and fancied a bite to eat - we were taken in by the beautiful building and the welcoming signs...this is where the good part ended! It was Saturday just gone and the place must be the worst ever. I have complained to the english inn's head office aswell as the service was horrendous - it took 20 mins alone just to order then a further 50 mins wait for a starter which was cold followed by 2 below average in terms of quality main meals with no apology - everyone was complaining. The hotel itself looked nice but would never give it a chance if I was to stay as the food and service was so bad.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thetford
Travelodge Thetford Hotel
#5 of 7 in Thetford
Brandon House
Brandon House
#1 of 1 in Brandon

Been to Bell Hotel? Share your experiences!