“Relax and Enjoy” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Forest Holidays Thorpe Forest

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Thetford
Forest Holidays Thorpe Forest
GreenLeadersSilver level
Burscough, United Kingdom
“Relax and Enjoy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

My wife and I spent our honeymoon in cabin 31 and loved every minute,the kitchen was really good the bathroom was fantastic and the hot tub was awesome we even came home and bought our own fatboy hammock,the walks in the forest are lovely and we hired bikes too,lots of wildlife to spot as well,make sure you pop into nearby Thetford,lovely little town with Dad's Army Museum being there and a nice walk by the river,we also went to Sandringham and Bury St Edmonds,

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Amanda_Clarke_FH, Guest Relations Manager at Forest Holidays Thorpe Forest, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Congratulations on your recent marriage and thank you for taking the time to write a review following your honeymoon at Thorpe Forest. I am pleased that you enjoyed not only your cabin but also the delights of the surrounding area. I hope that now you have your own Fatboy hammock it won’t stop you from booking again for your 1st anniversary!

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
NA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

Couldn't fault the accommodation the new style copper beech cabins are much better than the old style. The staff were friendly and welcoming. The location is perfect for exploring Norfolk and Suffolk but is perfectly off the beaten track. The only minor niggles I have would be that the fridge had no freezer compartment, the complementary champagne was actually prosecco which I don't mind but I'm sure our French friends wouldn't be so understanding! Also the wide selection of wine and local beers was strong on wine and various commonly available ciders which was a shame.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Ian T
Amanda_Clarke_FH, Guest Relations Manager at Forest Holidays Thorpe Forest, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Thank you for your review following your recent break with us at Thorpe Forest. I am pleased that you enjoyed your holiday and we will take note of your comments with regards to the minor niggles. I do hope we will see you again in the future.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

My partner and I had stayed at the forest of dean so new what to expect. Thorpe Forest had definitely made improvements in their new cabins. In the bedroom above the curtain are blinds to keep the light out. There is a nice warm boiler cupboard for drying towels etc. Dishwasher is now full size and not a 450. Hooks to hang towels by hot tub. All improvements from the forest of dean.

The below review obviously did not look under the oven there is a drawer with saucepans and frying pans no need to take your own. The kitchen is very well stocked with everything from a potato peeler to a knif shaper.
I would advise taking a few items from home. Dishwasher tablets (no need to salt and rinse aid) oil for cooking, hand wash, salt,pepper, loo rolls, kitchen roll. Things you have at home to keep the budget down when shopping rather than buying items unnecessarily.

We also took our dog with us on our stay and went for fantastic walks. We did not do any if the forest expeditions and to be honest had no need to. We saw many animals and the best was seeing deers in the middle of the day walking through the forest. I would say the forest needs time to mature we paid 25 pounds to choose our cabin and stayed in 29 was 100% a great position, 1 neighbour and thats it. Some of the other cabins are close together with not much privacy.
We ordered pizza and chips 1 night, pizza lovely chips where not cooked at all. Put them I the oven for 10mins and it was fine.
Excellent hot tub, well maintained. Overall a great break. Thank you.

Ps don't forget to take your wellies.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Becky9088
Thank you for your review following your holiday at Thorpe Forest. I am pleased that you enjoyed your break and that you have notice the changes that we have made in response to the feedback we receive. I am delighted you managed to see so much wildlife; sometimes when we are new to a site it takes the wildlife a while to get used to us, but this doesn't seem to have been the case at all at Thorpe Forest. I hope you will be staying with us again, either here or at another of our locations.

Oakham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

Have just spent a long weekend away with my boyfriend here in Cabin 56- Golden Oak. We were both really looking forward to getting away from our daily routines and thought this would be perfect.

Our accommodation was very spacious, large kitchen, large lounge area and a good sized decking with table and chairs and one huge hot tub which was great to use of an evening along with a drink whilst star gazing. I felt let down by the kitchen amenities. A lot! Fair enough, it's self catering, I can cope with bringing food and drink. What annoys me is that you have to take your own bloomin saucepans and/or frying pans or other utensils. A beautifully clean cooker top which we couldn't even use to fry onions for a BBQ or make eggs for a cooked breakfast. You really need to supply the basics in your lodges. One dishwasher tablet isn't going to get you very far either for several days stay.

The double bed we had wasn't suitable for my partner who is 6ft 2, his feet hanging over the edge during the night wasn't much fun. It was comfy though and the pillows soft.

Don't be fooled by the wifi.....it's non existent! Not even a phone signal which proved a disaster as I found out upon leaving the site. Numerous voicemail messages from back home which were pretty urgent and I couldn't access them until my holiday was over. No main phone lines anywhere, this again should be thought over for the future.

Excursions are not run by the resort which is a bit of a joke. We wanted to try the tree trekking on Saturday morning, to be told by reception it was cancelled but they didn't know why. However, tree trekking seemed to go on without us that morning as we saw the participants whilst we were having a walk through the forest! We decided to go else where to climb trees.

We paid £10 each to do the night vision excursion with a ranger who we later found out was a 'stand in'. Appalling service to be honest. Would not recommend at all. It's hit and miss whether you see animals in the forest at night, we knew that but the lack of communication from the ranger was a joke. 8 of us seemed to talk amongst ourselves and when we arrived back an hour and a half later, she told me and my partner that she could of taken another trail (more likely to of seen animals!) but she chose not to because it was muddy....6 out of 8 were wearing wellies!! No excuse. Most of the group thought it was a waste of money. Save your £10 and go seek wildlife in the daytime!

The entertainment package through the TV, very expensive. £19.99 for non existent wifi and movies which seem to be chargeable at £12 each to rent. Oh, you can order a pizza delivery through the tv too but we didn't so we don't know how much that was on the top of the £19.99.

To hire a bike for the day is also expensive. Loads of added extras on top of an already very expensive trip away. You can't hire tandem bikes here but you can do if you go to high lodge, a few miles away! We chose to go there to participate in tree climbing at Go Ape.

The hot tub...please rethink the amount of chlorine you pour in it. Surely it's not necessary to tip a full bottle in everyday? Can the cleaning of the tub not wait until the guests have finished their stay instead of having a staff member appear each day??

We will have to think about coming back. Unless changes are made, I think we will go elsewhere. For the amount of money you pay, you really don't get your monies worth because you are constantly being charged extra.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Sooz T
Thank you for your review. It sounds as if a few things let this holiday down for you. I wish you had spoken to us while you were onsite and we could have solved many of the issues instantly and made your holiday more enjoyable. For instance, the pots and pans are in the drawer beneath the cooker! We have had some problems with the wifi and while we work on it with our supplier we are offering the film package at a reduced rate. It is a flat fee though, so if you were charged £12 per film please contact us on customerservices@forestholidays.co.uk so that we can refund it. There is no delivery charge for the pizzas. With regards to the poor phone reception, I am afraid it is simply due to our forest location; for many guests, this is very much a positive! Finally, regarding the hot tubs, please allow me to reassure you that our procedures for cleaning and maintaining them are entirely appropriate. I am sorry that your holiday didn’t live up to your expectations and I hope I have put your mind to rest regarding some of the issues you have raised. We are always keen to receive feedback from our guests and we take all complaints and suggestions for improvement seriously, so thank you for bringing everything to our attention. The things that we can change, we will and hopefully, if you stay with us again in the future you will see that we are listening.

Mirfield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

We have just returned from a 4 night stay at this resort with our two young children (3 and 5 years old). We stayed in a Golden Oak cabin which was lovely - very spacious with good facilities and the hot tub was a great feature which the whole family enjoyed.

Downsides however, were numerous and started before we even arrived for our stay. We had planned this short break for some much-needed relaxation and my husband and I decided to make use of the in-cabin spa treatment service offered. When booking this service, I was pleased to see that when I booked spa treatments for my husband and myself, I could also book an add-on service of a kiddy nail paint, which I thought would be fun for my two girls and make them feel included in the spa treatment session. However, after I booked and paid for the spa treatments, the company (to whom Forest Holidays sub-contract to provide this service) contacted me to confirm details and arrangements and informed me that they were unable to offer the kiddy nail painting service as the therapist was not qualified to provide this service. My children had been excited about having their nails painted and sharing in mummy and daddy's spa treatments and were naturally very disappointed when I had to tell them they couldn't have this done after all. We were informed by the spa company that Forest Holidays would refund us the money we had paid for the kiddy nail paints. I did email Forest Holidays before our visit to Thorpe Forest to question why they were advertising (and are still advertising) and taking bookings and payments for services that are not available at the resort but a week later I've still had no reply.

And then there were the issues that arose during our stay at the resort. We had booked a Golden Oak cabin and the description on the website states that this level of cabin includes complimentary bathrobes (a useful service given that the cabin has a hot tub) however, the bathrobes were missing from our cabin and when we queried this we were told that they had run out and were awaiting a delivery and that if we didn't have bathrobes in the cabin then none were available. This may seem a minor issue but it was annoying as we had booked this holiday, and this level of cabin, looking for a little bit of luxury and relaxation. As mentioned above, we had also booked spa treatments and the information on the Forest Holidays website recommended wearing a bathrobe for the spa treatments... and I hadn't brought one with me because they were supposed to be provided in the cabin.

We also had no waste bin in the kitchen (as apparently the bin wouldn't fit in the kitchen cupboard?) and hence had to put all our rubbish into carrier bags. Our cabin overlooked the "meadow" area of the site, which was also a little disappointing as the section of the "meadow" directly in front of the cabins was little more than a rutted scrubland, littered with builder's rubble, no doubt from the recent construction of the site. This will certainly improve with time as the vegetation grows back but at the moment it looks unappealing and prevented us from exploring the meadow area with the children, as we didn't want to pick our way over the uneven, rubble-strewn scrubland.

Another disappointment was that the wifi service at the resort was not working properly. This was a real problem for us as my husband actually needed to connect to his office on the day of our arrival to send through some urgent documentation. It also meant that we could not look up information about local attractions to visit/facilities such as supermarkets etc and the information provided in the information booklet in the cabin was woefully inadequate.

Whilst we would not necessarily have minded having a holiday with no internet if we had *chosen* to do so, we had selected this resort based on the services it offered, which included internet. The staff had no idea why the internet was not working but did offer not to charge us for the cost of the media package/wifi.

The lack of internet was, however, compounded by the fact that there is little to no mobile phone coverage at the site. There is no signal at all inside the cabin or inside the forest retreat, though you can sometimes pick up a weak signal on the roads around the resort. There are also no landlines in the cabins. This meant that we were essentially uncontactable during our stay at the resort. This proved to be a real problem towards the end of our stay when I took the children for a trip out, leaving my husband at the cabin, and my youngest daughter fell and injured herself, necessitating a trip to A&E. I had absolutely no way to contact my husband and let him know what had happened.

The only way I was able to contact him was by phoning the central reservations line for Forest Holidays (the only number that the staff at the zoo, where the accident happened, could find online for the resort) and asking them to contact the forest retreat at Thorpe Forest and ask them to get a message to my husband. If this incident had happened outside of the opening hours of the central reservations line (which is office hours - 8:30-5:30pm Mon-Fri!), I would not have been able to contact my husband *at all*. I would recommend that anyone staying at this resort ask, on checking in, for the landline number of the forest retreat and keep a note of it/give it to anyone who might need to contact you, as this is the only way to contact anyone at the resort.

Overall, what should have been a relaxing holiday ended up not being so, due to the disappointment and frustration at the lack of facilities/services that we had paid for and that should have been available, and the difficulties caused by the impossibility of contacting anyone at/from the resort.

Looking back at our stay, the only things my husband and I can say we really enjoyed were the hot tub and the in-cabin spa treatments, which were very good. We would not stay at this resort again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Alipeeps
Maria_Vernon-Allen, Guest Relations Manager at Forest Holidays Thorpe Forest, responded to this review, 10 October 2014
Thank you for your review; I’m sorry not to have replied sooner. It does sound as if a number of issues marred your holiday with us and I must apologise for the problems you encountered. We had a few teething problems when we opened Thorpe Forest and it seems you were affected more than most. I can understand that your experience has put you off, but I am confident that if you do decide to stay with us again in the future, at any of our locations, you will have a completely different, and much better, experience.

Maria Vernon-Allen
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

We just returned from a 4 night stay here, 2 adults and 2 toddlers, stayed in lodge 52 (Silver Beech). We second other comments: beautifully fitted cabins with lovely hot tub. The media package is very impressive, 120 movies at your fingertip. The WiFi wasn't working very well during our stay but because of that it was offered for free – fair enough. The only disappointment given the high quality of the accommodation was the size of the fridge/freezer: “half size” version which doesn't work well for a family, also given the fact that the resort doesn't offer a restaurant (the Cafe offers a few dishes).

Very welcoming and helpful staff although still getting to know the area, I couldn't get good information on local walks.

All in all relaxing time in high quality accommodation and great settings, good for walks and bike rides, cute playground for kids.

P.S. There is limited mobile coverage in the resort. We had none in our lodge. I call that a bonus but you might think otherwise!

Room Tip: I'll try to stay in lodges 1 to 47 next time, they are in the middle of the woods while 48 and a...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank riccume
Thank you for your review following your recent family break at Thorpe Forest. I am pleased that you enjoyed a relaxing time. We’re grateful for your feedback which we will help us as we continue to develop and improve this new location. We have experienced a problem with the wifi coverage and are working hard to resolve it. In the meantime we are offering the film package, with unlimited access to over 200 films for a reduced rate.

london
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed in a golden oak cabin for five days.

Good:
The cabin was of a very good standard and the hot tub in the back was a nice touch.

Bad:
There was a fair amount of works still going on site, with a couple of dumper trucks rumbling round everyday.

The cycle routes aren't signposted at all and the maps that are given are poor.

We found some pretty horrible bits of metal outside our cabin that had been left over during the recent build.

The multimedia package was terrible, wifi didn't work at all and I asked for a refund, which to be fair I got.

There isn't much to do there and there isn't anything in the near vicinity either, everything is an hour away. Certainly nothing for toddlers apart from a very small playground.

The food served in the shop is bad.

Overall:
Overall, we enjoyed the stay but there were a few annoying things. The cabin was a big plus though. I wanted to leave this review as there are a lot of five star reviews which I honestly believe isn't a true reflection of the place. I've stayed in a lot of places in the UK and abroad and this doesn't come close to five stars.

Stayed May 2014
3 Thank TheCassman
Amanda_Clarke_FH, Guest Relations Manager at Forest Holidays Thorpe Forest, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Thank you for your review. As a new location your feedback is very useful to us and it will help us make sure we get things right for our guests into the future. We do have a number of activities and attractions under an hour away. We have Forest Ranger activities onsite, nearby Thetford Forest has a fantastic play area, WildPlay, for children, and there are swimming pools, play parks and soft play areas all nearby as well as a zoo and a farm park. I hope this is useful information if you do decide to stay with us again.

Holiday Advisors Team Leader
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thetford
Premier Inn Thetford Hotel
Park Farm Hotel
#1 of 1 in Hethersett
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,056 reviews
Weybread Lakes Log Cabin Holidays

Been to Forest Holidays Thorpe Forest? Share your experiences!