We booked a two night stay, using Tesco clubcard vouchers we exchanged. Thank goodness, as if we had paid full price I would feel very let down, disappointed and overcharged. We paid an additional £80 for an upgraded room - we didn't really see much of an upgrade. Very small double bed and quite a small room to be honest.
A bizarre moment when we realised the TV had a speaker in the bathroom that you couldn't turn off... Meaning that you could mute the TV in the main room and it was still loudly audible in the bathroom! Hard to have a relaxing bath with this. When we asked the staff, they seemed to know nothing about this and said they would contact housekeeping. No further action was taken by the hotel.
My husband then found a cockroach crawling up the wall. We squashed it on the wall and it was still there when we checked out two days later.
We had dinner in the bar on Friday night, and I'm glad we had paid ahead for dinner as the menu was very expensive. £17.50 for a chicken pasta salad (which was very bland) and £15 for a tomato mozzarella salad, which came with no mixed leaves as described.
Breakfast on the Saturday was delicious, although the buffet didn't seem to get replaced as it was eaten.
The spa and the staff in the spa were very good, and really made the visit. Lots to do and very clean. Staff we're very helpful, engaging and polite.
Dinner on Saturday night was delicious, food was excellent and the menu was very good.
Breakfast on Sunday was not as good. We arrived around 10, then we're told to wait in the bar. 10/15 minutes later we were called through to the main restaurant. I ordered a cooked breakfast, which was forgotten about. I asked the staff and it came out a wee while later. Again, I felt that items on the buffet were not replenished as they were finished, and as we arrived and were asked to wait, it was disappointing.
When we checked out, an additional £1 had been added to the bill. When I questioned this, the receptionist said it was an optional contribution to charity. No one had actually asked us if we wanted to contribute, so we were not given the option. I asked to take this off, as I felt it was cheeky to take money without asking!
We were also charged £100 extra as we had been charged for dinner twice. I questioned this initially and I felt I wasn't taken seriously. I then returned to reception to question it further, and indeed I was right. The receptionist said 'I did think it wasn't right!' Which was not the case, as when I pointed it out to her at first, she didn't want to know.
All in all, a disappointing experience from the hotel (but not spa, which was excellent). Definitely not a 4* hotel- obvious wear and tear throughout and the service and quality were not there.
So glad we didn't pay full price. Unfortunately, we will not be returning or recommending.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Macdonald Marine Hotel & Spa boasts everything you could need for a short break on the Scottish coast. Our luxurious spa offers rejuvenating Elemis treatments performed by highly trained therapists. Experience award-winning dining in our restaurant or relax in our lounge while taking in the view over the Firth of Forth. Your guaranteed a great night sleep in our stylish bedrooms, exactly what you need after a day on one of the many surrounding world-class golf courses. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Macdonald Marine Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Macdonald Marine Hotel And Spa
- Macdonald Marine Hotel North Berwick
- Hotel Macdonald Marine
- Berwick Hotel Marine North
- Macdonald Marine Hotel & Spa North Berwick, Scotland