“Excellent Lunch in a refreshingly unmodernised pub.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Port Gaverne Hotel

Port Gaverne Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Port Gaverne
Bedfordshire
“Excellent Lunch in a refreshingly unmodernised pub.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

Saturday Lunch early April with relatives that live in Cornwall. They had not visited before and we visited "on spec". Neither we nor they were disappointed. The service was friendly and prompt. The menu and our selection included pub classics such as ham eggs and chips, haddock and chips and more "refined" offerings of seared scallops with chorizo and capers. All were very good and reasonably priced. We also thought the beer (Doombar) well kept.

We ate in the bar area, close to the open fire, enjoyed the decor (paintings for sale by local artists and old photos relating to Ports Gaverne and Isaac) and exploring the various small rooms that comprise the hotels ground floor.

We had no problems parking outside, but I can see that in busy periods this might be a problem.

We will all certainly visit Port Gaverne Hotel again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank GeorgeB1
ACCS, Owner at Port Gaverne Hotel, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
What a lovely review, you have captured the hotel and our philosophy very neatly! Thank you and we hope to see you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Launceston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

My husband and I had lunch at this delightful hotel which is located within a stone's throw of the beach. Port Gaverne is much smaller and less touristy than it's neighbour, Port Isaac. As it was Mother's Day, the restaurant was busy but the staff were polite and friendly and the service was excellent. There is a slightly old fashioned feel to the restaurant - nothing bland and no chrome or glass - but the food is of a high standard and much is sourced locally. The bar area is full of low beams and stone floors and has real old world charm.I would recommend the hotel to anyone visiting the area and we shall certainly be returning there.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
ACCS, Owner at Port Gaverne Hotel, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Thank you for your very swift review, we are really pleased that you enjoyed your lunch and also that you enjoyed the old fashioned service. We have taken the approach of ' if it's not broken…..'. I know we were busy so we do appreciate everyones patience. Thank you again for your review.
wiltshire england
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014

Myself and four others ate at the restaurant last week (March 2014). Three of our group spoke little English. The owner could not have been more helpful as we were a bit of a fussy lot ! the food was presented beautifully and tasted great and he helped with translations and explanations. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
ACCS, Owner at Port Gaverne Hotel, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Thank you for your lovely review - it always boosts staff morale when we get good reviews. We are really glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope you have lots of good memories to take home with you.
Salisbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014

We've just returned from a two night stay having not been here for over ten years. We weren't disappointed - the inn is very welcoming, the rooms are spacious and very clean and the food superb. The restaurant wasn't open on Thursday evening, which we didn't know about, but the bar food is excellent. Most importantly, it's a truly dog friendly place - dogs welcome everywhere (except the restaurant) not just in a few rooms which normally appears to be the case. Highly recommended and we can't wait to return.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
ACCS, Owner at Port Gaverne Hotel, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Welcome back! We are so pleased that you have revisited us and enjoyed your stay! Thank you for your kind comments and we look forward to seeing you again.
Cornwall, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

The road from Port Isaac to Port Gaverne was washed away in the storms but don't let that prevent you from walking or driving around.
Great atmosphere, great food and great beer.
Beef in red wine pie was delicious, my partner was not so hungry and just had a starter of scallops but that was plenty, and no problem with having both together.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
ACCS, Owner at Port Gaverne Hotel, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Thank you for travelling just a bit further to come and see us! I know the road is being worked on and it should hopefully be open again soon. It was great to see your review and good to know that you enjoyed your meal.
Bude, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014

Excellent meal super service from the 2 young ladies will be a frequent Sunday lunch client and will try the restaurant when the days are longer. Even in February when the sun is shining you can sit outside in an area protected from the wind by thick hedges,m

Room Tip: Only visited the restaurant
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
ACCS, Owner at Port Gaverne Hotel, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
We are so glad that you enjoyed you lunch with us, you picked the most wonderful, sunny day. Well done for finding us whilst the roads are closed!
bath
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014

We are at different hotels and b&b,s this time every year for past 10years
On arrival we were surprised to see what we found, this is not some top class hotel as in guide books and as described in some reviews. However it is a very nice pub, which if your thinking about it....is what it is. Parking is a nightmare if you have a young child or are elderly as your either going up hill or parking round the corner 200 yards away.
When we booked in nothing was given or explained to us, we were just given our key and sent on our way. The nature of the building is very long narrow corridors and loads of steps of course depending on what room you are staying in. We were in 19 and it was miles away.
First night we enquired about dinner as weather was bad outside. The lady at the bar was very nice and helpful this encouraged us to stay that evening. We were booked into the snug of which is the closest point of where children are allowed. Near the bar. At a later date we were told we could have sat nearer by the fire and that what we were told was wrong. The snug is directly opposite the kitchen door which is a problem when there is a problem with the staff ......read on.
We came down at 6.30 and ordered our 3 meals my 5 year old had a children's fish and chips which was big and very nice. My wife had a pasta dish which looked good but lacked any flavour and was just passable. This is where the fun starts or NOT as the case is. I ordered a special as on the specials board, lamb shank served with new potatoes and fresh vegetable, well when it cam out it was a lamb shank in an oil slick sat in a bowl with a measly bit of mashed potato sat under it I said to the waitress with blond hair is that it as it would not have fed my 5 year old, she said yes that is how it comes the lady name was I think Jenny. I said no and told her what it said on the board obviously this was to much to ask for and was given a dirty look and spoke to with attitude. She said she would go and ask the chef, that is if the chef could get her finger off the microwave button. She came out and said that is how it comes without veg... But I will get you some veg if you want, obviously I said yes. 5 mins later some just out of school typical teen boy with one word in his head generally uuuugggghhh bought out a plate of veg to accompany my now cold lamb shank. I said where are my potatoes and he didn't answer I asked again and he said I don't know, he was also walking away from me while I was talking to him I asked him to stop as I was talking I got another 2 uuuuggghh's and he slipped back into the kitchen. At this point I was proper not happy and went to the bar to make a complaint to the lady who's name again I think was sue, after coming to see us had to double check the specials board and agreed that it was wrong she also said she would have a word with the staff for as I would say being generally really poor. She came out and said she had a word with them and that mr teen was only 16 and didn't know what to do. Mr teen you are providing a service if you can't then go back to your x box as we are paying hard worked top money for your rubbish. We were offered a free desert for our troubles and as we were tired and had a small child said ok. All the time staff were coming in and out of the kitchen making us feel rather uncomfortable.
The morning after we were considering going elsewhere but it was like being in another pub sorry hotel. The staff lovely and made us feel special and looked after. The lady doing breakfast which was nice was fantastic and it was her that made us stay. The rest of the stay was ok and the housekeeping staff are great. When we checked out I had a bet with my wife to whether they would charge me for the desert or not and guess what yes they did try to.
Just to say I have a catering and hospitality background and are self employed in it so do know what I am talking about.
I wonder what comes back from this review from management as until so will not be staying will put others off unless we have a satisfactory resolve.

Room Tip: Try and get low numbers or suffer the consequences
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank jazz525
ACCS, Owner at Port Gaverne Hotel, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
Thank you for your comments and for bringing certain points to our attention. We apologise for the sub standard service during your stay. We have had words with the staff involved.
Our licence stipulates where under 14 years can sit downstairs so our hands are tied in this respect.
Yes, our car parking is not the easiest but it is as it is and we can't change it due to the location of the building.
There are many hotels in Cornwall that are very family friendly perhaps one of these would of been more suitable for you as they have many more facilities and are better set up for families.
Trip Advisor is not a platform for intimidation, it is a facility to air views and certainly not to hold people to ransom.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Port Gaverne
Camelot Castle Hotel
Camelot Castle Hotel
#2 of 6 in Tintagel
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,173 reviews

Been to Port Gaverne Hotel? Share your experiences!