“A change for the better ? I don't think so...”
Review of Port Gaverne Hotel

and 1 more site!
Port Gaverne Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Port Gaverne
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We have been coming to Port Gaverne for 2-3 weeks a year for the past 6 years normally staying in one of the cottages at Gullrock and eating at the Port Gaverne Hotel every evening of our stays.We had heard at the end of our last visit (in May) that the Port Gaverne Hotel had been bought by St Austell brewery. We booked a one night stay at the hotel this time because we were meeting up with other members of family (who were staying elsewhere). On our arrival, we were greeted by a lady on reception and pleasantries were exchanged (I wouldn't necessarily say she was polite). We were shown to our room (no 7) on the top floor having clambered up 2 flights of quite steep stairs, the room had low beams across one of the beds (you had to limbo to get to the chair by the bed) and only one small window which meant the room was hot & stuffy. The bathroom was functional with the toilet squeezed next to the bath and a basin but no proper shower which was surprising in this day & age and especially for the cost of the room. We had noticed that the carpet in the bar area was new and new furniture was also on view so we decided that we would spend the afternoon sat around one of the tables outside the hotel. We had also pre-booked one of the tables indoors for our evening meal but changed our plans to stay at our outside table given the lovely weather. In addition to the more fancy / pricey menu (compared with pre St Austell), the hotel had set up a barbecue for people to choose from as well. We all chose from the barbecue (sea bass, pork belly or darlings) plus choice of side salads, etc and this was all served in a cardboard pizza type box (novel and perhaps meant as a fancy take on fish & chips). Personally, I thought the food I had was really nice (I had the sea bass) and we all decided to have a pudding. Our table was cleared and our puddings arrived minutes later with the waitress saying 'Oh, I suppose you'll want some spoons to eat them with' - normal practice, one assumes, is to bring the cutlery out before the food. What did appear to be a problem for some of the staff was that the tables outside hadn't been allocated numbers so everyone eating was given a wooden spoon with a number on it but there was nothing on the tables to hold the spoon for the staff to see - cue the haphazard scenes of some members of staff going in and out shouting out various numbers !! On the plus side, the hotel is still dog friendly, the breakfast was excellent and it was good to see (& speak to) some of the staff retained from the previous regime. I sincerely hope that things get better before our next visit in October......

Room Tip: Don't ask for room 7 if you are over six foot tall !!!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Andy D

Reviewed 21 June 2014

We have stayed at the Port Gaverne over many years and have always been welcomed warmly, however things have changed! The individual who checked us in was wearing dirty trousers with his shirt hanging out, no offer of a morning paper. The following morning this guy was dressed in the same attire to serve breakfast which to us seemed totally unproffesional. For the first three mornings the full Cornish breakfast was served with streaky bacon, you dont expect the cheapest of bacon cuts when paying these prices for accommodation. However they redeemed themselves on day four and give the breakfast waitresses their due they are so helpful . The food is ok nothing startling, the shepherds pie was quite nice but does it really take a 'Michelin Star' chef to knock up a shepherds pie? I believe the hotel is now owned by St Austell brewery, maybe the management should take a look at the St Kew Inn owned by the same company and take a leaf out of their book.
The ladies who cleaned the rooms were very pleasant, they told us about The Fishermans Friends performing in Port Isaac on Friday night so a lovely evening was spent listening to them sing on the beach.

Sadly we don't think we will return now even though you can't beat the view, it is no longer the Port Gaverne Hotel as we knew it.

Room Tip: Room 18 has a balcony for great views
6  Thank Lizzieboo186376
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Our group of seven ate here today. Beer (Proper Job) and Pimms was first class. In fact the Pimms had so much fruit - and such a variety - you could certainly class it as a starter!
We each something different from the menu including plaice, mackerel, shepherds pie, ploughmans and crab thermidor. All were very well presented on the plate and, most importantly, tasted very good. Cost of just over £70 was great value.
Staff were friendly and efficient. Manager was perhaps a bit anonymous...he was pointed out to us but he didn't seem to want to engage with customers? I can see what some other reviewers mean. However, I would still recommend this pub as I came here to meet friends and family and enjoy a good meal rather than chat with the manager.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank CrystalShadow
Reviewed 14 June 2014

We have come to Port Gaverne for nearly 20 years and went to the Hotel as usual on our first night here. The food was very "Gastro" and we have come away £80 lighter and still hungry!! They no longer sell Doombar !! My husband had been looking forward to it for the last part of our journey and the locals seem to have deserted what is probably a "sinking ship". We will go once more for Sunday lunch to meet our Grandson and his Mum as it is pre-arranged but we are unlikely to go again. What a great shame !!!! Bar staff needs a hell of a lot more training ! The only saving grace was the original Lady restaurant waitress who put herself out to give us personal service.We wonder how long she will stay ?

Room Tip: Other ratings N/A as we only used eating facilities
5  Thank Janet D
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Visited last week with my family (5 adults)we had the most incredible food and service was tremendous wasn't sure what to expect but would recommend to anyone to visit and judge for themselves. Friendly bar if you just want a drink excellent choices and well tended

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank StevieC--was--here
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Living just up the coast we have been to the Port Gaverne Hotel on a semi regular basis in the past. Its always been cheap and cheerful pub grub nothing to complain about but nothing to rave about either.
We stopped in on spec this evening and were surprised to see a more contemporary menu, something a lot of Pubs seem to be doing now without all delivering the goods

Fortunately the food was excellent, fresh and good value. We had the Belly pork and razor clam which blew us away. And my partner enjoyed a huge bowl of fat tasty mussels with a side of tripple cooked chips. Both desserts were also fantastic.

Our meal came to 40 quid without drinks which for food of this standard is good value.

We will be recommending The Port Gaverne to our friends and will be back ourselves in the near future.

(as for others complaining about the menu not changing they've only been there 3 weeks as i understand it give them a chance)

1  Thank Kernow_Jake
Reviewed 11 June 2014

As a person who has been using the Hotel as a regular haunt for the past 25 years, I decided to give the new owners a three week trial (no business can get it right straight away) and have to say I am totally dissapointed. I was treated to a meal by friends in the second week, and although the food looked very nice, it was certainly far from good. It is the first time in eating out that I have left still feeling hungry! I returned this week to see that the menu is still the same, unlike the last owners who regularly changed the restaurant menu daily and the bar menu had various specials. I dont mind paying high prices for food, as long as I get something on the plate that satisfies my hunger.
The local staff are still welcoming and friendly, but the new management appear to like anonymity and did not even make an effort on the first week to make themselves known. It can occasionally be heard when seeing a surly chap breeze through the bar "oh, I think that is the new manager".
I was shocked to hear this week from a couple of my friends who come to stay three of four times a year for the last 25 years and used the Hotel for food a drinks everyday that they are so saddened by the changes that they will not be coming back. I hear these sorts of comments almost daily. What has happened to the good old locals who we all used to meet there, have they been driven out by the high prices and lack of atmosphere?
The biggest shame is that the most popular beer of all, Sharps Doom Bar has also had the chop.
And I nearly forgot, the wine waiter when informed that a bottle of wine with our meal was not quite right, he said " its no use me tasting it as I dont drink and cant tell a good bottle from a bad one" If nothing else it gave us something to giggle about.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
#3 of 6 in Tintagel
Metropole Hotel
Metropole Hotel
#4 of 8 in Padstow

Been to Port Gaverne Hotel? Share your experiences!